Another story from NYC Newsday about podcasting/how to find more stories.

  • James W. Anderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
      Here's another story, and I'll let you know how to find similar stories
      in Google News as well so we can all find new things together.

      http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/ny-
      etlede4233542apr27,0,7364209.story?coll=ny-entertainment-bigpix

      Several URLs are listed as well.

      To find news about podcasting in Google News, simply go to the Google
      News site by going to Google and clicking on 'News' above the search
      box. Then when you get to the Google News page itself, enter the
      following into the search box:

      podcast*

      The wildcard will pick up all suffixes, -s, -ing, -er, etc. New
      stories on podcasts, podcasting, podcast clients, anything having to do
      with it will show up.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
        On 4/29/05, James W. Anderson <genealogy248@...> wrote:
        > Here's another story, and I'll let you know how to find similar stories
        > in Google News as well so we can all find new things together.

        Thanks, James. Incidentally, have you been following Dennis Amith's
        frequent posts here beginning with "Podcast articles?"

        I'm not saying there can't be multiple people posting with podcasting
        news, but it'd probably add value if you included some information or
        commentary about the links you post, as Dennis does. "Another story
        about podcasting" doesn't really tell me enough to decide whether
        clicking it's worth my time.

        - Steve Eley
        sfeley@...
      • James W. Anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
          > Thanks, James. Incidentally, have you been following Dennis Amith's
          > frequent posts here beginning with "Podcast articles?"
          >
          > I'm not saying there can't be multiple people posting with
          podcasting
          > news, but it'd probably add value if you included some information
          or
          > commentary about the links you post, as Dennis does. "Another story
          > about podcasting" doesn't really tell me enough to decide whether
          > clicking it's worth my time.
          >
          > --
          > Have Fun,
          > - Steve Eley
          > sfeley@g...

          He's doing a great job. I think that more than one poster on these
          articles and links might help to find more of them. Obviously, there
          is going to be some duplication on links and stories, but with the
          whole podcasting thing moving so rapidly with seemingly major
          developments every day, duplication of effort will happen.

          The next time I post news, I'll try to give commentary, but
          occasionally I'll see something, but have to leave for some reason
          and so the link occasionally will have to suffice but I will
          obviously revisit it and follow-up my own post where necessary.
        • Andrew Baron
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Anderson"
            <genealogy248@y...> wrote:

            > > it'd probably add value if you included some information
            > or
            > > commentary about the links . . .

            Well, since they mentioned Rocketboom I can add some commentary on the
            story. While almost all of the facts about Rocketboom are wrong, the
            story was written by a woman named Abigail and I think it represents a
            great example of how a writer comes to learn about and then report on
            something of this nature.

            When she contacted me out of the blue, it was clear that she really
            had no idea what podcasting was and had no idea what rss was. You can
            remember what that was like. This was almost a month and a half ago
            for her.

            To me her article demonstrated a nice work of journalism because she
            took her time in getting to know all of the details and actually, I'm
            sure, her article only covered the surface of what she must of found
            out though all of her research over all of that time. I consider this
            to be a massive amount of work for what it looks like, so I think its
            a positive thing.

            As to the facts about Rocketboom, both Amanda's age and my own age are
            not correct and the number of subscribers that she mentioned was not
            correct, but also that was over a month and a half ago. At the time we
            were getting around at least 6000 video views per day, but not so many
            "subscribers" using RSS enclosures.

            This leads to another recent post that someone mentioned about
            subscriber stats.

            I have NEVER before blabbed about our stats but now that they are
            being misreported, and while I have no intention of hiding our stats,
            I will tell you this about it:

            I cant tell what are stats are because its all spread out but here is
            what I've gathered:

            We are have somewhere at the very least, 17,000 video views per day
            and have had as many as 25,000 videos viewed on some days. All this, I
            can track.

            The high days came recently around an MSNBC Technology article by
            Michael Rogers a week or so ago. This was the first mention we have
            had in a major news story. This Newsday article is the second or third
            mention.

            Only a small amount of our audience are actually "subscribers" using
            our own rss enclosure feeds. Though people watch in ANT, the most
            popular videoblogger RSS enclosure player, and most of the popular
            ipodder-whatever players ;) , we still have less than 6000
            "subscribers" [available video content with rss is way behind
            podcasting but growing at a phenomenal rate].

            Over 50% of the 17,000+ is being watched via bittorrents. I have no
            idea where these people are coming from but most of them take the
            files and reseed them on various bittorrent players, and often show up
            in the stats.

            We allow people to take the files and redistribute for non commercial
            purposes so we lose track and website/blog references on an
            international level are appearing in our logs but not in Google or
            Technorati. We could embed hyperlink pings back to our server at
            differnt time intervals from inside our video files, to let us how far
            people are watching though and to keep track of some redistributed
            files, but that's a little scarry in a privacy-issue kinda way. . .

            There are also major services like the new Open Media Network (OMN)
            which uses a p2p underpin like bittorrent but their own deal. They
            featured us on their home page for the first few days while they
            launched and did not provide any links to our website or report on how
            many downloads there were of our content. That's because they take the
            file out of our enclosure and put it on their own server and send it
            out to everyone from there. I'm not complaining, it meets our
            distribution policy, though it would be nice to know how many people
            are watching it though them. Kinda lame but they are in "Beta".

            I hope this is useful or helps to give a perspective on where
            videoblogging is at, as far as I know. By the way,
            bandwidth/cost-wise, our daily videos are typically only about 3-4
            min. I have heard this is about half the file-size of say, Adam
            Curry's average longwinded, oops, i mean, important .mp3 files.

            Andrew
            p.s. Just teasing! - I raise my glass to both Adam and Dave and all of
            you for what you have done as a precedence for videoblogging.