Re: [podcasters] Re: Out of bandwidth

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
      Yes, I noticed yours there yesterday, Michael. Yours was right there
      at the top of the Open Source Audio page.

      Harold

      On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:24:07 -0000, mglehman <ipodder@...> wrote:

      > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
      >
      > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
      > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
      > successfully.
      >
      > -- Michael Lehman
      > -- www.softwareland.org
      >

      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
      >

      > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
      > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
      > challenges.
      > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
      > but
      > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
      > in
      > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
      > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
      > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
      > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
      > >
      > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
      > first
      > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
      > appeared
      > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
      > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
      > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
      > >
      > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
      > results.
      > >
      > > Harold
      > >
      > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
      > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
      > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
      > As you
      > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
      > small
      > > > free miracle.
      > > >
      > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
      > may go
      > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
      > but Curry
      > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
      > > >
      > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
      > > >
      > > > Jason

      > find a new
      > sizes down
      > megs/mo.
      > exceeded
      > do?

      > Service.
      > > >

      > > > --
      > > > Jason Evangelho
      > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
      > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
      > > > RSS Feed:
      > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
      > > > IndieFeed Podcast
      > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
      > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
      > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
      > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
      >

      > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
      > > > strong to be broken."
      > > > ~Samuel Johnson
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > Service.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Peter Forret
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
        I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
        "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
        why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
        amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
        space you need a month."

        They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
        They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
        apparemtly no customers yet.
        (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)

        Peter

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
        <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

        > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
        new
        > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
        > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
        > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
        > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
        > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
        >
        > Harold
      • Nathan R. Yergler
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
          Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
          this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
          described here. You can find downloads at
          http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
          you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
          bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.

          Nathan

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:

          > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
          >
          > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
          > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
          > successfully.
          >
          > -- Michael Lehman
          > -- www.softwareland.org
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
          > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
          > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
          > challenges.
          > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
          > but
          > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
          > in
          > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
          > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
          > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
          > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
          > >
          > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
          > first
          > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
          > appeared
          > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
          > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
          > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
          > >
          > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
          > results.
          > >
          > > Harold
          > >
          > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
          > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
          > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
          > As you
          > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
          > small
          > > > free miracle.
          > > >
          > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
          > may go
          > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
          > but Curry
          > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
          > > >
          > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
          > > >
          > > > Jason

          > find a new
          > sizes down
          > megs/mo.
          > exceeded
          > do?

          > Service.
          > > >

          > > > --
          > > > Jason Evangelho
          > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
          > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
          > > > RSS Feed:
          > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
          > > > IndieFeed Podcast
          > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
          > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
          > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
          > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
          > > >
          > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
          > > > strong to be broken."
          > > > ~Samuel Johnson
          > > >

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Service.
        • Jason Evangelho
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
            That's some unbelievable pricing. Sounds like a great business model
            to me. Everyone should jump to this pretty soon...

            On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:43 -0000, Peter Forret <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
            > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
            > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
            > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
            > space you need a month."
            >
            > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
            > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
            > apparemtly no customers yet.
            > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
            > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
            > new
            > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
            > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
            > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
            > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
            > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
            > >
            > > Harold
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Jason Evangelho
            Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
            http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
            RSS Feed:
            http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
            IndieFeed Podcast
            http://www.indiefeed.com
            AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
            Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
            MSN: jason_evangelho@...

            "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
            strong to be broken."
            ~Samuel Johnson
          • Russell S. Holliman
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
              Not bad... I have several sites hosted through ev1servers and they
              have some pretty good deals as well (check out their "virtual
              servers"). They will host your domain, give you 50 email addresses,
              100mb storage, and unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month. I pay $30 a
              month for all of that but with 300mb. And ev1 has a great pipe. Not
              sure about libsyn's pipe...

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Forret" <yahoo@f...> wrote:

              > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
              > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
              > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
              > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
              > space you need a month."
              >
              > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
              > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
              > apparemtly no customers yet.
              > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
              >
              > Peter
              >
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
              > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
              > new
              > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
              > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
              > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
              > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
              > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
              > >
              > > Harold
            • David Johnson
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                I just signed up with Bluehost and find them to be very reasonable. I
                did a fair amount of research before signing up and they are very
                competetive. They offer 2GB of storage and 75GB/month of traffic for
                as little as $7/month (with a 2 year contract).

                They also pay very generously for referals ($65 per), so if you decide
                to go with them, please use this link:
                http://www.bluehost.com/track/djohnson68/text1 (I know, shameless
                plug, but I have to support my web site somehow...:)

                On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:46:22 -0000, Nathan R. Yergler
                <nathan@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                > this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                > described here. You can find downloads at
                > http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                > you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                > bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.
                >
                > Nathan
                >

                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                > >
                > > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                > > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                > > successfully.
                > >
                > > -- Michael Lehman
                > > -- www.softwareland.org
                > >

                > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                > > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                > > challenges.
                > > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                > > but
                > > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                > > in
                > > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                > > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                > > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                > > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                > > >
                > > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                > > first
                > > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                > > appeared
                > > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                > > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                > > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                > > >
                > > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                > > results.
                > > >
                > > > Harold

                > > As you
                > > small

                > > may go
                > > but Curry

                > > find a new
                > > sizes down
                > > megs/mo.
                > > exceeded
                > > do?

                > > Service.

                > > Service.

                David Johnson
                http://www.edave.org
              • julien smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                  i feel like i'm missing some fine print, but damn that sounds great.
                  i'm right at the point where i'm beginning to see a little difficulty
                  with bandwidth coming round the bend. do they seriously have zero
                  customers right now? i want a good review before i jump in.

                  julien