Re: [podcasters] Out of bandwidth

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
      Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth challenges.
      From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming, but
      that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting, in
      Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
      will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
      archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
      Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!

      Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my first
      attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It appeared
      to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
      app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
      incomplete, so I quit the app.

      I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the results.

      Harold

      On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
      <jasonevangelho@...> wrote:
      > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone. As you
      > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a small
      > free miracle.
      >
      > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you may go
      > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it, but Curry
      > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
      >
      > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
      >
      > Jason
      >

      > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
      > <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
      > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
      > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
      > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
      > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
      > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
      > >
      > > Harold
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > >

      > > Get unlimited calls to
      > >
      > > U.S./Canada

      > Jason Evangelho
      > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
      > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
      > RSS Feed:
      > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
      > IndieFeed Podcast
      > http://www.indiefeed.com
      > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
      > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
      > MSN: jason_evangelho@...
      >
      > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
      > strong to be broken."
      > ~Samuel Johnson
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • mglehman
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
        I do so love being an early adopter ;)

        I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
        I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
        successfully.

        -- Michael Lehman
        -- www.softwareland.org

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
        <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
        > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
        challenges.
        > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
        but
        > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
        in
        > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
        > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
        > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
        > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
        >
        > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
        first
        > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
        appeared
        > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
        > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
        > incomplete, so I quit the app.
        >
        > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
        results.

        > Harold
        >
        > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
        > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
        > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
        As you
        > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
        small
        > > free miracle.
        > >
        > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
        may go
        > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
        but Curry
        > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
        > >
        > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
        > >
        > > Jason
        > >

        > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
        > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to
        find a new
        > > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file
        sizes down
        > > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
        megs/mo.
        > > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
        > > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be
        exceeded
        > > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to
        do?

        > > > Harold
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > > >

        > > > Get unlimited calls to
        > > >
        > > > U.S./Canada

        Service.

        > > --
        > > Jason Evangelho
        > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
        > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
        > > RSS Feed:
        > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
        > > IndieFeed Podcast
        > > http://www.indiefeed.com
        > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
        > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
        > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
        > >
        > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
        > > strong to be broken."
        > > ~Samuel Johnson
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.
      • Harold Johnson
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
          Yes, I noticed yours there yesterday, Michael. Yours was right there
          at the top of the Open Source Audio page.

          Harold

          On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:24:07 -0000, mglehman <ipodder@...> wrote:

          > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
          >
          > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
          > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
          > successfully.
          >
          > -- Michael Lehman
          > -- www.softwareland.org
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
          >

          > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
          > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
          > challenges.
          > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
          > but
          > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
          > in
          > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
          > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
          > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
          > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
          > >
          > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
          > first
          > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
          > appeared
          > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
          > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
          > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
          > >
          > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
          > results.
          > >
          > > Harold
          > >
          > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
          > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
          > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
          > As you
          > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
          > small
          > > > free miracle.
          > > >
          > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
          > may go
          > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
          > but Curry
          > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
          > > >
          > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
          > > >
          > > > Jason

          > find a new
          > sizes down
          > megs/mo.
          > exceeded
          > do?

          > Service.
          > > >

          > > > --
          > > > Jason Evangelho
          > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
          > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
          > > > RSS Feed:
          > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
          > > > IndieFeed Podcast
          > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
          > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
          > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
          > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
          >

          > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
          > > > strong to be broken."
          > > > ~Samuel Johnson
          > > >

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Service.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Peter Forret
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
            I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
            "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
            why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
            amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
            space you need a month."

            They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
            They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
            apparemtly no customers yet.
            (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)

            Peter

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
            <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

            > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
            new
            > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
            > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
            > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
            > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
            > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
            >
            > Harold
          • Nathan R. Yergler
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
              Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
              this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
              described here. You can find downloads at
              http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
              you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
              bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.

              Nathan

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:

              > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
              >
              > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
              > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
              > successfully.
              >
              > -- Michael Lehman
              > -- www.softwareland.org
              >

              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
              > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
              > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
              > challenges.
              > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
              > but
              > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
              > in
              > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
              > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
              > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
              > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
              > >
              > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
              > first
              > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
              > appeared
              > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
              > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
              > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
              > >
              > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
              > results.
              > >
              > > Harold
              > >
              > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
              > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
              > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
              > As you
              > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
              > small
              > > > free miracle.
              > > >
              > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
              > may go
              > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
              > but Curry
              > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
              > > >
              > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
              > > >
              > > > Jason

              > find a new
              > sizes down
              > megs/mo.
              > exceeded
              > do?

              > Service.
              > > >

              > > > --
              > > > Jason Evangelho
              > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
              > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
              > > > RSS Feed:
              > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
              > > > IndieFeed Podcast
              > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
              > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
              > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
              > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
              > > >
              > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
              > > > strong to be broken."
              > > > ~Samuel Johnson
              > > >

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > Service.
            • Jason Evangelho
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                That's some unbelievable pricing. Sounds like a great business model
                to me. Everyone should jump to this pretty soon...

                On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:43 -0000, Peter Forret <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                > space you need a month."
                >
                > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                > apparemtly no customers yet.
                > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                > new
                > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                > >
                > > Harold
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Jason Evangelho
                Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                RSS Feed:
                http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                IndieFeed Podcast
                http://www.indiefeed.com
                AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                strong to be broken."
                ~Samuel Johnson
              • Russell S. Holliman
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Not bad... I have several sites hosted through ev1servers and they
                  have some pretty good deals as well (check out their "virtual
                  servers"). They will host your domain, give you 50 email addresses,
                  100mb storage, and unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month. I pay $30 a
                  month for all of that but with 300mb. And ev1 has a great pipe. Not
                  sure about libsyn's pipe...

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Forret" <yahoo@f...> wrote:

                  > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                  > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                  > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                  > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                  > space you need a month."
                  >
                  > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                  > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                  > apparemtly no customers yet.
                  > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                  >
                  > Peter
                  >
                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                  > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                  > new
                  > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                  > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                  > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                  > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                  > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                  > >
                  > > Harold
                • David Johnson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                    I just signed up with Bluehost and find them to be very reasonable. I
                    did a fair amount of research before signing up and they are very
                    competetive. They offer 2GB of storage and 75GB/month of traffic for
                    as little as $7/month (with a 2 year contract).

                    They also pay very generously for referals ($65 per), so if you decide
                    to go with them, please use this link:
                    http://www.bluehost.com/track/djohnson68/text1 (I know, shameless
                    plug, but I have to support my web site somehow...:)

                    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:46:22 -0000, Nathan R. Yergler
                    <nathan@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                    > this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                    > described here. You can find downloads at
                    > http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                    > you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                    > bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.
                    >
                    > Nathan
                    >

                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                    > >
                    > > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                    > > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                    > > successfully.
                    > >
                    > > -- Michael Lehman
                    > > -- www.softwareland.org
                    > >

                    > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                    > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                    > > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                    > > challenges.
                    > > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                    > > but
                    > > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                    > > in
                    > > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                    > > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                    > > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                    > > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                    > > >
                    > > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                    > > first
                    > > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                    > > appeared
                    > > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                    > > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                    > > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                    > > results.
                    > > >
                    > > > Harold

                    > > As you
                    > > small

                    > > may go
                    > > but Curry

                    > > find a new
                    > > sizes down
                    > > megs/mo.
                    > > exceeded
                    > > do?

                    > > Service.

                    > > Service.

                    David Johnson
                    http://www.edave.org
                  • julien smith
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                      i feel like i'm missing some fine print, but damn that sounds great.
                      i'm right at the point where i'm beginning to see a little difficulty
                      with bandwidth coming round the bend. do they seriously have zero
                      customers right now? i want a good review before i jump in.

                      julien