How many listeners?

  • Thomas Wanhoff
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Does anyone have an idea, how many poeple are listing to podcasts? i
      heard, adam currys DSC is heard by 50.000 people. but is there a
      general statistic?
      my one at sammelstelle.net is downloaded ca.120 times per file. I fear
      mostly podcasters are listng to podcasts..

      some comments?

      thomas
    • Smith, Kristopher
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        I think you are right for the most part, but at this stage in the
        development cycle of podcasting I would consider that normal. The amount
        of listening that must be done to wade through all of the shows out
        there isn't going to be done by the the 'average' listener, though I
        don't quite know who they are since I only know podcasters. The
        'average' person has seen Adam Curry's name, Dawn and Drew, Dave Winer
        and Engadget with a smattering of other names in every article that has
        been written so far around the world . . . which ain't very many. The
        rest of us sort of feed off of each other and learn from what the other
        is doing by listening in. It will be a while before all of this shakes
        out but it will and most of us won't be left doing this because we won't
        be able to get the ear or time from the 'average' listener.

        To get those ears and playtime on their devices it takes networking,
        promotion and spot in the public eye. I think there are some ways that
        this can be done, but it would have to be done collectively. And if we
        want to keep pace with Adam Curry and his legion, as he call them, "the
        pod squad", podcasters are going to have to start setting up their own
        networks and "pod squads" to pool resources like bandwidth, space and
        maybe even dollars.

        Just some thoughts. This thing is in its infancy so I suppose for now
        anything goes as we shape it.

        Kris

        Thomas Wanhoff wrote:

        >Does anyone have an idea, how many poeple are listing to podcasts? i
        >heard, adam currys DSC is heard by 50.000 people. but is there a
        >general statistic?
        >my one at sammelstelle.net is downloaded ca.120 times per file. I fear
        >mostly podcasters are listng to podcasts..
        >
        >some comments?
        >
        >thomas
        >

        >*Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        >click here
        ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ttnvpi/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705004726:HM/EXP=1101901955/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Jason Evangelho
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
          Because of my setup, I can't track exact show stats, but can track
          unique IP hits and total number of downloads.
          From 11/20 to 11/29 there were 2,300 downloads from 1200 unique
          visitors, which pushed outa total of 28 GB.

          Now, I'm in agreement with Kris. Just because AC has his own podsquad,
          doesn't mean we CANNOT. We need to push each other's shows, grow them
          together, and then pool our resources.

          Otherwise, we're all going to be in the poorhouse...

          Jason
          Insomnia Radio
        • Kevin Devin
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
            I haven't dedicated too much time to figuring out how many subscribers
            that I have. I feel that at this point in the game, it's just too
            difficult to waste too much time and effort on. What I mean by that
            is, podcatching clients are still in their infancy and as a result are
            being tested over and over and over by testers which in result, drives
            up downloads. Additionally, the iPodder 1.1 bug that caused repeated
            downloads didn't help matters either.

            In all, the only way that I feel that I can get ANY kind of a snapshot
            of who is listening is my stats within the first 24 hours. Most all
            podcatching clients are set to at least pull their feeds once within a
            24 hour period.

            -KHD

            In the Trenches podcast
            http://kevindevin.com

            On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:02:23 -0800, Jason Evangelho
            <jasonevangelho@...> wrote:

            > Because of my setup, I can't track exact show stats, but can track
            > unique IP hits and total number of downloads.
            > From 11/20 to 11/29 there were 2,300 downloads from 1200 unique
            > visitors, which pushed outa total of 28 GB.
            >
            > Now, I'm in agreement with Kris. Just because AC has his own podsquad,
            > doesn't mean we CANNOT. We need to push each other's shows, grow them
            > together, and then pool our resources.
            >
            > Otherwise, we're all going to be in the poorhouse...
            >
            > Jason
            > Insomnia Radio
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Scott Alden
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
              On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:50:26 -0000, Thomas Wanhoff
              <moongreen2001@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have an idea, how many poeple are listing to podcasts? i
              > heard, adam currys DSC is heard by 50.000 people. but is there a
              > general statistic?
              > my one at sammelstelle.net is downloaded ca.120 times per file. I fear
              > mostly podcasters are listng to podcasts..
              >
              > some comments?
              >
              > thomas

              Our show is getting between 3000 and 5000 downloads per episode.
              We're doing weekly 30 MB shows (around 1-2 hours a piece) related to
              the board game hobby.

              --
              Scott Alden
              GeekSpeak