Re: [podcasters] Out of bandwidth

  • Harold Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
      Thanks, Todd. I'm checking it. Has anyone looked into DeluXe Host?
      There seems to be a major hurdle with that service, which offers 300GB
      of free bandwidth. The hurdle: no "hot links". Does anyone know what
      that means? I'm guessing--purely guessing--that this means no links
      pointing to your podcast. Which, of course, would defeat our
      purposes.

      I've submitted an app to DeluXe to go with my domain
      audiocasting.info, and I'm going to set up the site to test its
      limitations. I'll let you all know how it goes.

      Harold

    • akb@demandmedia.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
        You might consider using Coral, an academic testbed Content Delivery
        Network (CDN). Just add nyud.net:8090 to your url and your content gets
        delivered by a network of a few hundred machines on fat pipes, for *free*.
        For example:

        http://foo.com/bar.mp3

        becomes

        http://foo.com.nyud.net:8090/bar.mp3

        I believe openpodcast.org uses them. Its currently in beta and there's a
        50MB file size limit, but people have reported good results. For more
        info:

        http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/coral/

        alan

        http://demandmedia.net/
        Collaborative Video Blog
      • Harold Johnson
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
          Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth challenges.
          From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming, but
          that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting, in
          Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
          will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
          archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
          Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!

          Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my first
          attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It appeared
          to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
          app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
          incomplete, so I quit the app.

          I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the results.

          Harold

          On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
          <jasonevangelho@...> wrote:
          > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone. As you
          > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a small
          > free miracle.
          >
          > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you may go
          > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it, but Curry
          > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
          >
          > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
          >
          > Jason
          >

          > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
          > <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
          > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
          > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
          > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
          > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
          > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
          > >
          > > Harold
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > >

          > > Get unlimited calls to
          > >
          > > U.S./Canada

          > Jason Evangelho
          > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
          > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
          > RSS Feed:
          > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
          > IndieFeed Podcast
          > http://www.indiefeed.com
          > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
          > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
          > MSN: jason_evangelho@...
          >
          > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
          > strong to be broken."
          > ~Samuel Johnson
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • mglehman
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
            I do so love being an early adopter ;)

            I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
            I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
            successfully.

            -- Michael Lehman
            -- www.softwareland.org

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
            <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
            > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
            challenges.
            > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
            but
            > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
            in
            > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
            > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
            > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
            > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
            >
            > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
            first
            > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
            appeared
            > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
            > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
            > incomplete, so I quit the app.
            >
            > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
            results.

            > Harold
            >
            > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
            > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
            > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
            As you
            > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
            small
            > > free miracle.
            > >
            > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
            may go
            > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
            but Curry
            > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
            > >
            > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
            > >
            > > Jason
            > >

            > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
            > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to
            find a new
            > > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file
            sizes down
            > > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
            megs/mo.
            > > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
            > > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be
            exceeded
            > > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to
            do?

            > > > Harold
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > > >

            > > > Get unlimited calls to
            > > >
            > > > U.S./Canada

            Service.

            > > --
            > > Jason Evangelho
            > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
            > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
            > > RSS Feed:
            > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
            > > IndieFeed Podcast
            > > http://www.indiefeed.com
            > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
            > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
            > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
            > >
            > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
            > > strong to be broken."
            > > ~Samuel Johnson
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.
          • Harold Johnson
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
              Yes, I noticed yours there yesterday, Michael. Yours was right there
              at the top of the Open Source Audio page.

              Harold

              On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:24:07 -0000, mglehman <ipodder@...> wrote:

              > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
              >
              > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
              > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
              > successfully.
              >
              > -- Michael Lehman
              > -- www.softwareland.org
              >

              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
              >

              > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
              > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
              > challenges.
              > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
              > but
              > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
              > in
              > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
              > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
              > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
              > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
              > >
              > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
              > first
              > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
              > appeared
              > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
              > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
              > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
              > >
              > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
              > results.
              > >
              > > Harold
              > >
              > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
              > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
              > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
              > As you
              > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
              > small
              > > > free miracle.
              > > >
              > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
              > may go
              > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
              > but Curry
              > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
              > > >
              > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
              > > >
              > > > Jason

              > find a new
              > sizes down
              > megs/mo.
              > exceeded
              > do?

              > Service.
              > > >

              > > > --
              > > > Jason Evangelho
              > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
              > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
              > > > RSS Feed:
              > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
              > > > IndieFeed Podcast
              > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
              > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
              > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
              > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
              >

              > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
              > > > strong to be broken."
              > > > ~Samuel Johnson
              > > >

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > Service.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Peter Forret
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                space you need a month."

                They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                apparemtly no customers yet.
                (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)

                Peter

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

                > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                new
                > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                >
                > Harold
              • Nathan R. Yergler
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                  this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                  described here. You can find downloads at
                  http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                  you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                  bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.

                  Nathan

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:

                  > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                  >
                  > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                  > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                  > successfully.
                  >
                  > -- Michael Lehman
                  > -- www.softwareland.org
                  >

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                  > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                  > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                  > challenges.
                  > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                  > but
                  > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                  > in
                  > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                  > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                  > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                  > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                  > >
                  > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                  > first
                  > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                  > appeared
                  > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                  > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                  > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                  > >
                  > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                  > results.
                  > >
                  > > Harold
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                  > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                  > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                  > As you
                  > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                  > small
                  > > > free miracle.
                  > > >
                  > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                  > may go
                  > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                  > but Curry
                  > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                  > > >
                  > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jason

                  > find a new
                  > sizes down
                  > megs/mo.
                  > exceeded
                  > do?

                  > Service.
                  > > >

                  > > > --
                  > > > Jason Evangelho
                  > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                  > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                  > > > RSS Feed:
                  > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                  > > > IndieFeed Podcast
                  > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                  > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                  > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                  > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                  > > >
                  > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                  > > > strong to be broken."
                  > > > ~Samuel Johnson
                  > > >

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > Service.
                • Jason Evangelho
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                    That's some unbelievable pricing. Sounds like a great business model
                    to me. Everyone should jump to this pretty soon...

                    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:43 -0000, Peter Forret <yahoo@...> wrote:

                    > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                    > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                    > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                    > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                    > space you need a month."
                    >
                    > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                    > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                    > apparemtly no customers yet.
                    > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                    >
                    > Peter
                    >
                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                    > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                    > new
                    > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                    > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                    > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                    > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                    > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                    > >
                    > > Harold
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Jason Evangelho
                    Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                    http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                    RSS Feed:
                    http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                    IndieFeed Podcast
                    http://www.indiefeed.com
                    AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                    Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                    MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                    "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                    strong to be broken."
                    ~Samuel Johnson
                  • Russell S. Holliman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                      Not bad... I have several sites hosted through ev1servers and they
                      have some pretty good deals as well (check out their "virtual
                      servers"). They will host your domain, give you 50 email addresses,
                      100mb storage, and unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month. I pay $30 a
                      month for all of that but with 300mb. And ev1 has a great pipe. Not
                      sure about libsyn's pipe...

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Forret" <yahoo@f...> wrote:

                      > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                      > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                      > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                      > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                      > space you need a month."
                      >
                      > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                      > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                      > apparemtly no customers yet.
                      > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                      >
                      > Peter
                      >
                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                      > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                      > new
                      > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                      > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                      > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                      > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                      > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                      > >
                      > > Harold
                    • David Johnson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                        I just signed up with Bluehost and find them to be very reasonable. I
                        did a fair amount of research before signing up and they are very
                        competetive. They offer 2GB of storage and 75GB/month of traffic for
                        as little as $7/month (with a 2 year contract).

                        They also pay very generously for referals ($65 per), so if you decide
                        to go with them, please use this link:
                        http://www.bluehost.com/track/djohnson68/text1 (I know, shameless
                        plug, but I have to support my web site somehow...:)

                        On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:46:22 -0000, Nathan R. Yergler
                        <nathan@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                        > this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                        > described here. You can find downloads at
                        > http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                        > you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                        > bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.
                        >
                        > Nathan
                        >

                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                        > >
                        > > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                        > > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                        > > successfully.
                        > >
                        > > -- Michael Lehman
                        > > -- www.softwareland.org
                        > >

                        > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                        > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                        > > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                        > > challenges.
                        > > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                        > > but
                        > > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                        > > in
                        > > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                        > > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                        > > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                        > > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                        > > >
                        > > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                        > > first
                        > > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                        > > appeared
                        > > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                        > > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                        > > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                        > > results.
                        > > >
                        > > > Harold

                        > > As you
                        > > small

                        > > may go
                        > > but Curry

                        > > find a new
                        > > sizes down
                        > > megs/mo.
                        > > exceeded
                        > > do?

                        > > Service.

                        > > Service.

                        David Johnson
                        http://www.edave.org
                      • julien smith
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                          i feel like i'm missing some fine print, but damn that sounds great.
                          i'm right at the point where i'm beginning to see a little difficulty
                          with bandwidth coming round the bend. do they seriously have zero
                          customers right now? i want a good review before i jump in.

                          julien