Re: [podcasters] Out of bandwidth

  • Oliver Willis
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
      Yeah, the CC publisher didn't work for me, but I've been uploading my
      shows (http://www.oliverwillis.com/taxonomy/page/or/33) to the
      internet archive
      (http://www.archive.org/audio/collection.php?collection=opensource_audio)

      The biggest issue is the 24hr delay

      On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:52:01 -0500, Gregory Narain <greg@...> wrote:

      > Harold,
      >
      > I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
      > more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
      > Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.
      >
      > Hope that helps some,
      > Greg

      Oliver Willis
      http://www.oliverwillis.com
      oliver@...
    • Harold J. Johnson
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
        Thanks Greg. Yes, I was considering taking them up on their offer. I
        wonder how reliable their hosting is? Well, I suppose I'll find out.

        Harold

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Narain <greg@f...> wrote:
        > Harold,
        >
        > I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
        > more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
        > Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.
        >
        > Hope that helps some,
        > Greg
        >
        > ------------
        > Beercasting.com - Served Fresh and Frost (Almost) Every Single
        Damned Day!
        > Start Your Own Beercast Today!
        >
        > http://beercasting.com
      • TDavid
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
          Hi Harold,

          Don't know what your budget is like, but Cyberwurx.com has special
          hosting plans specifically for podcasters. It's just file hosting,
          FTP and stats. Here's the plans I'm aware of that aren't even
          advertised on their website:

          100GB = $50/month (50 cents a gig)
          200GB = $80/month (40 cents a gig)
          300GB = $90/month (30 cents a gig)
          over 300GB -- ask them for special deal (sold as MBPS at that point)

          If interested, just email sales at cyberwurx.com and tell them that
          I, TDavid, sent you and they'll get you hooked up.

          We're using them for webmastercookbook.com and are very satisfied
          with speed, relibility, etc. We also have multiple managed dedicated
          servers, but for our new podcasting venture I wanted to segregate
          the bandwith so I could keep a close eye on it and also so it
          wouldn't impact the rest of the website. Podcasting-specific plans
          like the one offered by Cyberwurx are great for that.

          Sincerely,

          TD

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
          <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

          > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
          new
          > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes
          down
          > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
          megs/mo.
        • Geek News
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
            Harold

            See my show notes for today I found several host that offer great deals on
            bandwidth read the user agreements closely.
            www.geeknewscentral.com

            _____

            Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
            host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
            to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
            As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
            offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
            today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?

            Harold

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kufpdl/M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705004726:HM/EXP=1101854389/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it9je6r/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101767989254542>
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kufpdl/M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705004726:HM/EXP=1101854389/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it9je6r/*http://clk.
            atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101767989254542>

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=11017679
            89254542>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2343726/rand=517904278>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Jason Evangelho
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
              Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone. As you
              know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a small
              free miracle.

              If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you may go
              the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it, but Curry
              and Winer are working out the kinks. . .

              Something to ponder. Good luck to you.

              Jason

              On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
              <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

              > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
              > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
              > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
              > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
              > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
              > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
              >
              > Harold
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >

              > Get unlimited calls to
              >
              > U.S./Canada

              Jason Evangelho
              Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
              http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
              RSS Feed:
              http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
              IndieFeed Podcast
              http://www.indiefeed.com
              AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
              Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
              MSN: jason_evangelho@...

              "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
              strong to be broken."
              ~Samuel Johnson
            • Jason Evangelho
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                Harold;
                I'd be interested to hear your experience with it. I can't seem to
                find any guidelines re: bandwidth, file size, etc....

                This could be a great opportunity for many..
                jason

                On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:45:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Greg. Yes, I was considering taking them up on their offer. I
                > wonder how reliable their hosting is? Well, I suppose I'll find out.
                >
                > Harold
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Narain <greg@f...> wrote:
                > > Harold,
                > >
                > > I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
                > > more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
                > > Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.
                > >
                > > Hope that helps some,
                > > Greg
                > >
                > > ------------
                > > Beercasting.com - Served Fresh and Frost (Almost) Every Single
                > Damned Day!
                > > Start Your Own Beercast Today!
                > >
                > > http://beercasting.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Jason Evangelho
                Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                RSS Feed:
                http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                IndieFeed Podcast
                http://www.indiefeed.com
                AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                strong to be broken."
                ~Samuel Johnson
              • Harold Johnson
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                  Hi TD,

                  I remember you previous post regarding Cyberwurx. Thanks for
                  reminding me about it, but I'm afraid it's way out of my league at the
                  moment. Maybe once the advertisers come knockin' I'll be able to pay
                  more for bandwidth. Unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed and have
                  been using 1&1 Internet's free webhosting offer up til now.

                  Harold

                  On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:37:33 -0000, TDavid <tdavid@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Harold,
                  >
                  > Don't know what your budget is like, but Cyberwurx.com has special
                  > hosting plans specifically for podcasters. It's just file hosting,
                  > FTP and stats. Here's the plans I'm aware of that aren't even
                  > advertised on their website:
                  >
                  > 100GB = $50/month (50 cents a gig)
                  > 200GB = $80/month (40 cents a gig)
                  > 300GB = $90/month (30 cents a gig)
                  > over 300GB -- ask them for special deal (sold as MBPS at that point)
                  >
                  > If interested, just email sales at cyberwurx.com and tell them that
                  > I, TDavid, sent you and they'll get you hooked up.
                  >
                  > We're using them for webmastercookbook.com and are very satisfied
                  > with speed, relibility, etc. We also have multiple managed dedicated
                  > servers, but for our new podcasting venture I wanted to segregate
                  > the bandwith so I could keep a close eye on it and also so it
                  > wouldn't impact the rest of the website. Podcasting-specific plans
                  > like the one offered by Cyberwurx are great for that.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > TD
                  >
                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                  >

                  > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                  > new
                  > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes
                  > down
                  > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
                  > megs/mo.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >

                  > Get unlimited calls to
                  >
                  > U.S./Canada

                • Harold Johnson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                    Thanks, Todd. I'm checking it. Has anyone looked into DeluXe Host?
                    There seems to be a major hurdle with that service, which offers 300GB
                    of free bandwidth. The hurdle: no "hot links". Does anyone know what
                    that means? I'm guessing--purely guessing--that this means no links
                    pointing to your podcast. Which, of course, would defeat our
                    purposes.

                    I've submitted an app to DeluXe to go with my domain
                    audiocasting.info, and I'm going to set up the site to test its
                    limitations. I'll let you all know how it goes.

                    Harold

                  • akb@demandmedia.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                      You might consider using Coral, an academic testbed Content Delivery
                      Network (CDN). Just add nyud.net:8090 to your url and your content gets
                      delivered by a network of a few hundred machines on fat pipes, for *free*.
                      For example:

                      http://foo.com/bar.mp3

                      becomes

                      http://foo.com.nyud.net:8090/bar.mp3

                      I believe openpodcast.org uses them. Its currently in beta and there's a
                      50MB file size limit, but people have reported good results. For more
                      info:

                      http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/coral/

                      alan

                      http://demandmedia.net/
                      Collaborative Video Blog
                    • Harold Johnson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                        Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth challenges.
                        From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming, but
                        that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting, in
                        Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                        will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                        archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                        Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!

                        Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my first
                        attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It appeared
                        to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                        app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                        incomplete, so I quit the app.

                        I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the results.

                        Harold

                        On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                        <jasonevangelho@...> wrote:
                        > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone. As you
                        > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a small
                        > free miracle.
                        >
                        > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you may go
                        > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it, but Curry
                        > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                        >
                        > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                        >
                        > Jason
                        >

                        > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                        > <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
                        > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                        > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                        > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                        > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                        > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                        > >
                        > > Harold
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        > >

                        > > Get unlimited calls to
                        > >
                        > > U.S./Canada

                        > Jason Evangelho
                        > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                        > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                        > RSS Feed:
                        > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                        > IndieFeed Podcast
                        > http://www.indiefeed.com
                        > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                        > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                        > MSN: jason_evangelho@...
                        >
                        > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                        > strong to be broken."
                        > ~Samuel Johnson
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • mglehman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                          I do so love being an early adopter ;)

                          I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                          I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                          successfully.

                          -- Michael Lehman
                          -- www.softwareland.org

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                          <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                          > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                          challenges.
                          > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                          but
                          > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                          in
                          > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                          > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                          > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                          > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                          >
                          > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                          first
                          > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                          appeared
                          > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                          > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                          > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                          >
                          > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                          results.

                          > Harold
                          >
                          > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                          > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                          > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                          As you
                          > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                          small
                          > > free miracle.
                          > >
                          > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                          may go
                          > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                          but Curry
                          > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                          > >
                          > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                          > >
                          > > Jason
                          > >

                          > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                          > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to
                          find a new
                          > > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file
                          sizes down
                          > > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
                          megs/mo.
                          > > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                          > > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be
                          exceeded
                          > > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to
                          do?

                          > > > Harold
                          > > >

                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > > >

                          > > > Get unlimited calls to
                          > > >
                          > > > U.S./Canada

                          Service.

                          > > --
                          > > Jason Evangelho
                          > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                          > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                          > > RSS Feed:
                          > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                          > > IndieFeed Podcast
                          > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                          > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                          > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                          > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                          > >
                          > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                          > > strong to be broken."
                          > > ~Samuel Johnson
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Service.
                        • Harold Johnson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                            Yes, I noticed yours there yesterday, Michael. Yours was right there
                            at the top of the Open Source Audio page.

                            Harold

                            On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:24:07 -0000, mglehman <ipodder@...> wrote:

                            > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                            >
                            > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                            > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                            > successfully.
                            >
                            > -- Michael Lehman
                            > -- www.softwareland.org
                            >

                            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                            >

                            > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                            > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                            > challenges.
                            > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                            > but
                            > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                            > in
                            > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                            > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                            > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                            > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                            > >
                            > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                            > first
                            > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                            > appeared
                            > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                            > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                            > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                            > >
                            > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                            > results.
                            > >
                            > > Harold
                            > >
                            > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                            > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                            > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                            > As you
                            > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                            > small
                            > > > free miracle.
                            > > >
                            > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                            > may go
                            > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                            > but Curry
                            > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                            > > >
                            > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                            > > >
                            > > > Jason

                            > find a new
                            > sizes down
                            > megs/mo.
                            > exceeded
                            > do?

                            > Service.
                            > > >

                            > > > --
                            > > > Jason Evangelho
                            > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                            > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                            > > > RSS Feed:
                            > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                            > > > IndieFeed Podcast
                            > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                            > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                            > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                            > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                            >

                            > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                            > > > strong to be broken."
                            > > > ~Samuel Johnson
                            > > >

                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            > Service.
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Peter Forret
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                              I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                              "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                              why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                              amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                              space you need a month."

                              They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                              They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                              apparemtly no customers yet.
                              (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)

                              Peter

                              <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

                              > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                              new
                              > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                              > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                              > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                              > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                              > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                              >
                              > Harold
                            • Nathan R. Yergler
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                                this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                                described here. You can find downloads at
                                http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                                you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                                bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.

                                Nathan

                                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:

                                > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                                >
                                > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                                > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                                > successfully.
                                >
                                > -- Michael Lehman
                                > -- www.softwareland.org
                                >

                                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                                > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                                > challenges.
                                > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                                > but
                                > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                                > in
                                > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                                > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                                > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                                > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                                > >
                                > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                                > first
                                > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                                > appeared
                                > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                                > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                                > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                                > >
                                > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                                > results.
                                > >
                                > > Harold
                                > >
                                > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                                > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                                > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                                > As you
                                > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                                > small
                                > > > free miracle.
                                > > >
                                > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                                > may go
                                > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                                > but Curry
                                > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                                > > >
                                > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                                > > >
                                > > > Jason

                                > find a new
                                > sizes down
                                > megs/mo.
                                > exceeded
                                > do?

                                > Service.
                                > > >

                                > > > --
                                > > > Jason Evangelho
                                > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                                > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                                > > > RSS Feed:
                                > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                                > > > IndieFeed Podcast
                                > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                                > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                                > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                                > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                                > > >
                                > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                                > > > strong to be broken."
                                > > > ~Samuel Johnson
                                > > >

                                > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                > Service.
                              • Jason Evangelho
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                  That's some unbelievable pricing. Sounds like a great business model
                                  to me. Everyone should jump to this pretty soon...

                                  On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:43 -0000, Peter Forret <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                  > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                                  > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                                  > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                                  > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                                  > space you need a month."
                                  >
                                  > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                                  > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                                  > apparemtly no customers yet.
                                  > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                                  >
                                  > Peter
                                  >
                                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                                  > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                                  > new
                                  > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                                  > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                                  > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                                  > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                                  > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                                  > >
                                  > > Harold
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Jason Evangelho
                                  Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                                  http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                                  RSS Feed:
                                  http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                                  IndieFeed Podcast
                                  http://www.indiefeed.com
                                  AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                                  Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                                  MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                                  "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                                  strong to be broken."
                                  ~Samuel Johnson
                                • Russell S. Holliman
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                    Not bad... I have several sites hosted through ev1servers and they
                                    have some pretty good deals as well (check out their "virtual
                                    servers"). They will host your domain, give you 50 email addresses,
                                    100mb storage, and unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month. I pay $30 a
                                    month for all of that but with 300mb. And ev1 has a great pipe. Not
                                    sure about libsyn's pipe...

                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Forret" <yahoo@f...> wrote:

                                    > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                                    > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                                    > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                                    > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                                    > space you need a month."
                                    >
                                    > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                                    > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                                    > apparemtly no customers yet.
                                    > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                                    >
                                    > Peter
                                    >
                                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                                    > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                                    > new
                                    > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                                    > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                                    > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                                    > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                                    > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                                    > >
                                    > > Harold
                                  • David Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                      I just signed up with Bluehost and find them to be very reasonable. I
                                      did a fair amount of research before signing up and they are very
                                      competetive. They offer 2GB of storage and 75GB/month of traffic for
                                      as little as $7/month (with a 2 year contract).

                                      They also pay very generously for referals ($65 per), so if you decide
                                      to go with them, please use this link:
                                      http://www.bluehost.com/track/djohnson68/text1 (I know, shameless
                                      plug, but I have to support my web site somehow...:)

                                      On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:46:22 -0000, Nathan R. Yergler
                                      <nathan@...> wrote:

                                      > Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                                      > this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                                      > described here. You can find downloads at
                                      > http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                                      > you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                                      > bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.
                                      >
                                      > Nathan
                                      >

                                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                                      > >
                                      > > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                                      > > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                                      > > successfully.
                                      > >
                                      > > -- Michael Lehman
                                      > > -- www.softwareland.org
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                                      > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                      > > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                                      > > challenges.
                                      > > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                                      > > but
                                      > > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                                      > > in
                                      > > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                                      > > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                                      > > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                                      > > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                                      > > first
                                      > > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                                      > > appeared
                                      > > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                                      > > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                                      > > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                                      > > results.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Harold

                                      > > As you
                                      > > small

                                      > > may go
                                      > > but Curry

                                      > > find a new
                                      > > sizes down
                                      > > megs/mo.
                                      > > exceeded
                                      > > do?

                                      > > Service.

                                      > > Service.

                                      David Johnson
                                      http://www.edave.org
                                    • julien smith
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                        i feel like i'm missing some fine print, but damn that sounds great.
                                        i'm right at the point where i'm beginning to see a little difficulty
                                        with bandwidth coming round the bend. do they seriously have zero
                                        customers right now? i want a good review before i jump in.

                                        julien