Out of bandwidth

  • Harold J. Johnson
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
      Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
      host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
      to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
      As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
      offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
      today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?

      Harold
    • Gregory Narain
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
        Harold,

        I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
        more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
        Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.

        Hope that helps some,
        Greg

        ------------
        Beercasting.com - Served Fresh and Frost (Almost) Every Single Damned Day!
        Start Your Own Beercast Today!

        http://beercasting.com
      • Oliver Willis
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
          Yeah, the CC publisher didn't work for me, but I've been uploading my
          shows (http://www.oliverwillis.com/taxonomy/page/or/33) to the
          internet archive
          (http://www.archive.org/audio/collection.php?collection=opensource_audio)

          The biggest issue is the 24hr delay

          On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:52:01 -0500, Gregory Narain <greg@...> wrote:

          > Harold,
          >
          > I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
          > more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
          > Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.
          >
          > Hope that helps some,
          > Greg

          Oliver Willis
          http://www.oliverwillis.com
          oliver@...
        • Harold J. Johnson
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
            Thanks Greg. Yes, I was considering taking them up on their offer. I
            wonder how reliable their hosting is? Well, I suppose I'll find out.

            Harold

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Narain <greg@f...> wrote:
            > Harold,
            >
            > I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
            > more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
            > Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.
            >
            > Hope that helps some,
            > Greg
            >
            > ------------
            > Beercasting.com - Served Fresh and Frost (Almost) Every Single
            Damned Day!
            > Start Your Own Beercast Today!
            >
            > http://beercasting.com
          • TDavid
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
              Hi Harold,

              Don't know what your budget is like, but Cyberwurx.com has special
              hosting plans specifically for podcasters. It's just file hosting,
              FTP and stats. Here's the plans I'm aware of that aren't even
              advertised on their website:

              100GB = $50/month (50 cents a gig)
              200GB = $80/month (40 cents a gig)
              300GB = $90/month (30 cents a gig)
              over 300GB -- ask them for special deal (sold as MBPS at that point)

              If interested, just email sales at cyberwurx.com and tell them that
              I, TDavid, sent you and they'll get you hooked up.

              We're using them for webmastercookbook.com and are very satisfied
              with speed, relibility, etc. We also have multiple managed dedicated
              servers, but for our new podcasting venture I wanted to segregate
              the bandwith so I could keep a close eye on it and also so it
              wouldn't impact the rest of the website. Podcasting-specific plans
              like the one offered by Cyberwurx are great for that.

              Sincerely,

              TD

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
              <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

              > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
              new
              > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes
              down
              > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
              megs/mo.
            • Geek News
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                Harold

                See my show notes for today I found several host that offer great deals on
                bandwidth read the user agreements closely.
                www.geeknewscentral.com

                _____

                Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
                host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?

                Harold

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kufpdl/M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705004726:HM/EXP=1101854389/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12it9je6r/*http://clk.
                atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101767989254542>
                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kufpdl/M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705004726:HM/EXP=1101854389/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12it9je6r/*http://clk.
                atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1101767989254542>

                Get unlimited calls to

                U.S./Canada

                <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=11017679
                89254542>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=281955.5600462.6665252.3001176/D=groups/S=
                :HM/A=2343726/rand=517904278>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Jason Evangelho
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                  Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone. As you
                  know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a small
                  free miracle.

                  If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you may go
                  the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it, but Curry
                  and Winer are working out the kinks. . .

                  Something to ponder. Good luck to you.

                  Jason

                  On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                  <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                  > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
                  > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                  > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                  > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                  > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                  > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                  >
                  > Harold
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >

                  > Get unlimited calls to
                  >
                  > U.S./Canada

                  Jason Evangelho
                  Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                  http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                  RSS Feed:
                  http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                  IndieFeed Podcast
                  http://www.indiefeed.com
                  AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                  Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                  MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                  "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                  strong to be broken."
                  ~Samuel Johnson
                • Jason Evangelho
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                    Harold;
                    I'd be interested to hear your experience with it. I can't seem to
                    find any guidelines re: bandwidth, file size, etc....

                    This could be a great opportunity for many..
                    jason

                    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:45:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                    <harold.johnson@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Greg. Yes, I was considering taking them up on their offer. I
                    > wonder how reliable their hosting is? Well, I suppose I'll find out.
                    >
                    > Harold
                    >
                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Narain <greg@f...> wrote:
                    > > Harold,
                    > >
                    > > I heard today about the Creative Commons Publisher program (find out
                    > > more at http://creativecommons.org/audio/publish-internetarchive).
                    > > Essentially, they provide free hosting for non-commercial content.
                    > >
                    > > Hope that helps some,
                    > > Greg
                    > >
                    > > ------------
                    > > Beercasting.com - Served Fresh and Frost (Almost) Every Single
                    > Damned Day!
                    > > Start Your Own Beercast Today!
                    > >
                    > > http://beercasting.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Jason Evangelho
                    Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                    http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                    RSS Feed:
                    http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                    IndieFeed Podcast
                    http://www.indiefeed.com
                    AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                    Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                    MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                    "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                    strong to be broken."
                    ~Samuel Johnson
                  • Harold Johnson
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                      Hi TD,

                      I remember you previous post regarding Cyberwurx. Thanks for
                      reminding me about it, but I'm afraid it's way out of my league at the
                      moment. Maybe once the advertisers come knockin' I'll be able to pay
                      more for bandwidth. Unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed and have
                      been using 1&1 Internet's free webhosting offer up til now.

                      Harold

                      On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:37:33 -0000, TDavid <tdavid@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Harold,
                      >
                      > Don't know what your budget is like, but Cyberwurx.com has special
                      > hosting plans specifically for podcasters. It's just file hosting,
                      > FTP and stats. Here's the plans I'm aware of that aren't even
                      > advertised on their website:
                      >
                      > 100GB = $50/month (50 cents a gig)
                      > 200GB = $80/month (40 cents a gig)
                      > 300GB = $90/month (30 cents a gig)
                      > over 300GB -- ask them for special deal (sold as MBPS at that point)
                      >
                      > If interested, just email sales at cyberwurx.com and tell them that
                      > I, TDavid, sent you and they'll get you hooked up.
                      >
                      > We're using them for webmastercookbook.com and are very satisfied
                      > with speed, relibility, etc. We also have multiple managed dedicated
                      > servers, but for our new podcasting venture I wanted to segregate
                      > the bandwith so I could keep a close eye on it and also so it
                      > wouldn't impact the rest of the website. Podcasting-specific plans
                      > like the one offered by Cyberwurx are great for that.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      >
                      > TD
                      >
                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                      >

                      > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                      > new
                      > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes
                      > down
                      > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
                      > megs/mo.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      >

                      > Get unlimited calls to
                      >
                      > U.S./Canada

                    • Harold Johnson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 29, 2004
                        Thanks, Todd. I'm checking it. Has anyone looked into DeluXe Host?
                        There seems to be a major hurdle with that service, which offers 300GB
                        of free bandwidth. The hurdle: no "hot links". Does anyone know what
                        that means? I'm guessing--purely guessing--that this means no links
                        pointing to your podcast. Which, of course, would defeat our
                        purposes.

                        I've submitted an app to DeluXe to go with my domain
                        audiocasting.info, and I'm going to set up the site to test its
                        limitations. I'll let you all know how it goes.

                        Harold

                      • akb@demandmedia.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                          You might consider using Coral, an academic testbed Content Delivery
                          Network (CDN). Just add nyud.net:8090 to your url and your content gets
                          delivered by a network of a few hundred machines on fat pipes, for *free*.
                          For example:

                          http://foo.com/bar.mp3

                          becomes

                          http://foo.com.nyud.net:8090/bar.mp3

                          I believe openpodcast.org uses them. Its currently in beta and there's a
                          50MB file size limit, but people have reported good results. For more
                          info:

                          http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/coral/

                          alan

                          http://demandmedia.net/
                          Collaborative Video Blog
                        • Harold Johnson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                            Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth challenges.
                            From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming, but
                            that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting, in
                            Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                            will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                            archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                            Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!

                            Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my first
                            attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It appeared
                            to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                            app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                            incomplete, so I quit the app.

                            I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the results.

                            Harold

                            On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                            <jasonevangelho@...> wrote:
                            > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone. As you
                            > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a small
                            > free miracle.
                            >
                            > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you may go
                            > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it, but Curry
                            > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                            >
                            > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                            >
                            > Jason
                            >

                            > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                            > <harold.johnson@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a new
                            > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                            > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                            > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                            > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                            > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                            > >
                            > > Harold
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > >

                            > > Get unlimited calls to
                            > >
                            > > U.S./Canada

                            > Jason Evangelho
                            > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                            > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                            > RSS Feed:
                            > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                            > IndieFeed Podcast
                            > http://www.indiefeed.com
                            > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                            > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                            > MSN: jason_evangelho@...
                            >
                            > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                            > strong to be broken."
                            > ~Samuel Johnson
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • mglehman
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                              I do so love being an early adopter ;)

                              I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                              I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                              successfully.

                              -- Michael Lehman
                              -- www.softwareland.org

                              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                              <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                              > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                              challenges.
                              > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                              but
                              > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                              in
                              > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                              > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                              > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                              > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                              >
                              > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                              first
                              > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                              appeared
                              > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                              > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                              > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                              >
                              > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                              results.

                              > Harold
                              >
                              > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                              > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                              > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                              As you
                              > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                              small
                              > > free miracle.
                              > >
                              > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                              may go
                              > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                              but Curry
                              > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                              > >
                              > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                              > >
                              > > Jason
                              > >

                              > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:39:02 -0000, Harold J. Johnson
                              > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to
                              find a new
                              > > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file
                              sizes down
                              > > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000
                              megs/mo.
                              > > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                              > > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be
                              exceeded
                              > > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to
                              do?

                              > > > Harold
                              > > >

                              > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              > > >

                              > > > Get unlimited calls to
                              > > >
                              > > > U.S./Canada

                              Service.

                              > > --
                              > > Jason Evangelho
                              > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                              > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                              > > RSS Feed:
                              > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                              > > IndieFeed Podcast
                              > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                              > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                              > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                              > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                              > >
                              > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                              > > strong to be broken."
                              > > ~Samuel Johnson
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.
                            • Harold Johnson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 30, 2004
                                Yes, I noticed yours there yesterday, Michael. Yours was right there
                                at the top of the Open Source Audio page.

                                Harold

                                On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:24:07 -0000, mglehman <ipodder@...> wrote:

                                > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                                >
                                > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                                > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                                > successfully.
                                >
                                > -- Michael Lehman
                                > -- www.softwareland.org
                                >

                                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                                >

                                > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                                > challenges.
                                > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                                > but
                                > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                                > in
                                > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                                > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                                > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                                > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                                > >
                                > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                                > first
                                > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                                > appeared
                                > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                                > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                                > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                                > >
                                > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                                > results.
                                > >
                                > > Harold
                                > >
                                > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                                > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                                > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                                > As you
                                > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                                > small
                                > > > free miracle.
                                > > >
                                > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                                > may go
                                > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                                > but Curry
                                > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                                > > >
                                > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                                > > >
                                > > > Jason

                                > find a new
                                > sizes down
                                > megs/mo.
                                > exceeded
                                > do?

                                > Service.
                                > > >

                                > > > --
                                > > > Jason Evangelho
                                > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                                > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                                > > > RSS Feed:
                                > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                                > > > IndieFeed Podcast
                                > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                                > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                                > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                                > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                                >

                                > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                                > > > strong to be broken."
                                > > > ~Samuel Johnson
                                > > >

                                > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                > Service.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Peter Forret
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                  I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                                  "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                                  why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                                  amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                                  space you need a month."

                                  They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                                  They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                                  apparemtly no customers yet.
                                  (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)

                                  Peter

                                  <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:

                                  > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                                  new
                                  > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                                  > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                                  > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                                  > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                                  > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                                  >
                                  > Harold
                                • Nathan R. Yergler
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                    Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                                    this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                                    described here. You can find downloads at
                                    http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                                    you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                                    bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.

                                    Nathan

                                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:

                                    > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                                    >
                                    > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                                    > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                                    > successfully.
                                    >
                                    > -- Michael Lehman
                                    > -- www.softwareland.org
                                    >

                                    > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                                    > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                    > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                                    > challenges.
                                    > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                                    > but
                                    > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                                    > in
                                    > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                                    > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                                    > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                                    > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                                    > >
                                    > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                                    > first
                                    > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                                    > appeared
                                    > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                                    > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                                    > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                                    > results.
                                    > >
                                    > > Harold
                                    > >
                                    > > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:09:00 -0800, Jason Evangelho
                                    > > <jasonevangelho@g...> wrote:
                                    > > > Damn Harold, that is disappointing. I'm sure you're not alone.
                                    > As you
                                    > > > know, I've switched to mp3 from torrents, but only because of a
                                    > small
                                    > > > free miracle.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > If your show is popular enough, which it sounds like it is, you
                                    > may go
                                    > > > the BitTorrent route...I know you're somewhat opposed to it,
                                    > but Curry
                                    > > > and Winer are working out the kinks. . .
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Something to ponder. Good luck to you.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Jason

                                    > find a new
                                    > sizes down
                                    > megs/mo.
                                    > exceeded
                                    > do?

                                    > Service.
                                    > > >

                                    > > > --
                                    > > > Jason Evangelho
                                    > > > Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                                    > > > http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                                    > > > RSS Feed:
                                    > > > http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                                    > > > IndieFeed Podcast
                                    > > > http://www.indiefeed.com
                                    > > > AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                                    > > > Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                                    > > > MSN: jason_evangelho@m...
                                    > > >
                                    > > > "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                                    > > > strong to be broken."
                                    > > > ~Samuel Johnson
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    > Service.
                                  • Jason Evangelho
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                      That's some unbelievable pricing. Sounds like a great business model
                                      to me. Everyone should jump to this pretty soon...

                                      On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:28:43 -0000, Peter Forret <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                      > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                                      > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                                      > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                                      > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                                      > space you need a month."
                                      >
                                      > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                                      > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                                      > apparemtly no customers yet.
                                      > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                                      >
                                      > Peter
                                      >
                                      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                                      > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                                      > new
                                      > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                                      > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                                      > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                                      > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                                      > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                                      > >
                                      > > Harold
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      Jason Evangelho
                                      Insomnia Radio: Powered by iPodio
                                      http://hardcoreinsomniaradio.blogspot.com
                                      RSS Feed:
                                      http://webpages.charter.net/jevangelho01/IR.xml
                                      IndieFeed Podcast
                                      http://www.indiefeed.com
                                      AIM: hardcoreinsomnia
                                      Skype: hardcoreinsomnia
                                      MSN: jason_evangelho@...

                                      "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too
                                      strong to be broken."
                                      ~Samuel Johnson
                                    • Russell S. Holliman
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                        Not bad... I have several sites hosted through ev1servers and they
                                        have some pretty good deals as well (check out their "virtual
                                        servers"). They will host your domain, give you 50 email addresses,
                                        100mb storage, and unlimited bandwidth for $10 a month. I pay $30 a
                                        month for all of that but with 300mb. And ev1 has a great pipe. Not
                                        sure about libsyn's pipe...

                                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Forret" <yahoo@f...> wrote:

                                        > I came across http://www.libsyn.org/
                                        > "We don't want you to be penalized if your show gets popular. That is
                                        > why we do not charge for bandwidth usage, or for hosting a static
                                        > amount of web storage. Instead, our price model is based on how much
                                        > space you need a month."
                                        >
                                        > They have a 'Podcast Basic': $5/month for 100MB per month.
                                        > They are hosted at ev1servers.net (which is not bad), but there are
                                        > apparemtly no customers yet.
                                        > (domain was registered on 25-Oct-2004 - they've only just started)
                                        >
                                        > Peter
                                        >
                                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Harold J. Johnson"
                                        > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Okay, I'm doomed. I'm out of bandwidth, and now I have to find a
                                        > new
                                        > > host. It wasn't even that much bandwidth; I keep my file sizes down
                                        > > to about 5 megs and my bandwidth allocation has been 5,000 megs/mo.
                                        > > As of today, I'm at about 15,000 megs or so. Some of it I've
                                        > > offloaded to another host, but that limit will probably be exceeded
                                        > > today, so I don't want to go with that any longer. What to do?
                                        > >
                                        > > Harold
                                      • David Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                          I just signed up with Bluehost and find them to be very reasonable. I
                                          did a fair amount of research before signing up and they are very
                                          competetive. They offer 2GB of storage and 75GB/month of traffic for
                                          as little as $7/month (with a 2 year contract).

                                          They also pay very generously for referals ($65 per), so if you decide
                                          to go with them, please use this link:
                                          http://www.bluehost.com/track/djohnson68/text1 (I know, shameless
                                          plug, but I have to support my web site somehow...:)

                                          On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:46:22 -0000, Nathan R. Yergler
                                          <nathan@...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks for giving ccPublisher a try; I actually released a new version
                                          > this morning which fixes a bug that sounds similar to what you
                                          > described here. You can find downloads at
                                          > http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/software/publisher. Let me know if
                                          > you still have problems and I'll be happy to work on tracking down the
                                          > bug. Thanks again for giving it a try.
                                          >
                                          > Nathan
                                          >

                                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "mglehman" <ipodder@m...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I do so love being an early adopter ;)
                                          > >
                                          > > I too tried CCPublisher with the same results.
                                          > > I then tried the web interface and was able to upload a file
                                          > > successfully.
                                          > >
                                          > > -- Michael Lehman
                                          > > -- www.softwareland.org
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Harold Johnson
                                          > > <harold.johnson@g...> wrote:
                                          > > > Yes, I heard your recent podcast accounting your bandwidth
                                          > > challenges.
                                          > > > From MP3 to torrents back to MP3--it all seems so time-consuming,
                                          > > but
                                          > > > that's the day and age we live in: "The Early Days of Podcasting,
                                          > > in
                                          > > > Which a Few Lucky Souls Get To Work Out the Kinks". I hope history
                                          > > > will credit us more fairly than our dear friend Tesla...at least an
                                          > > > archive of our podcasts would prove that we were there before Clear
                                          > > > Channel or Sirius took over podcasting!
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Okay, back to the topic. I tried CCPublisher yesterday. On my
                                          > > first
                                          > > > attempt at uploading a file, the transfer seemed to hang. It
                                          > > appeared
                                          > > > to begin uploading (the transfer bar indicated this), so I left the
                                          > > > app alone for a few hours. When I returned, the transfer was still
                                          > > > incomplete, so I quit the app.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I'm going to try again today, and I'll let you all know the
                                          > > results.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Harold

                                          > > As you
                                          > > small

                                          > > may go
                                          > > but Curry

                                          > > find a new
                                          > > sizes down
                                          > > megs/mo.
                                          > > exceeded
                                          > > do?

                                          > > Service.

                                          > > Service.

                                          David Johnson
                                          http://www.edave.org
                                        • julien smith
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 1, 2004
                                            i feel like i'm missing some fine print, but damn that sounds great.
                                            i'm right at the point where i'm beginning to see a little difficulty
                                            with bandwidth coming round the bend. do they seriously have zero
                                            customers right now? i want a good review before i jump in.

                                            julien