Re: Video Podcasting?

  • Eric Rice
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
      Maybe we could all be nerdy to the nTH degree and say "enclosureCasting", because that is
      SO hot.

      I'm neutral on the naming thing only because it doesn't help my personal causes of a)
      promoting my shows/network/tools or b) teaching acceptance of the mediums to everyday
      folks.

      My show is called a SHOW (as much as possible), except in print/web . Because the buzz of
      the day is around the word 'podcast'. Same thing with 'videoblog' (I can't quite stomach
      'vlog'), but that's how it's viewed.

      It might be a defeatist attitude, but if I have to spend 5 minutes explaining what the word
      means versus showing someone how to get started, I'll take the latter in an instant. All
      because I use language that relates to who's listening.

      Use no buzzwords if you can help it.

      There's plenty of us that hate the term 'radio show'. But 'radio' has a just a few DECADES
      more of familiarity than 'podcasting'. We have to work with that.

      People aren't going to wake up one day and go, "Hey fuck this mainstream media shit. I
      want podcasts!"

      That's our job.
      Infiltrate the masses.
      Show 'em a piece of our long tail.
      Relate it to 'em personally.
      Help EVERYone who wants to do this.
      Geez, I sound like Jay Dedman.
      That's a good thing.
      Wear sunscreen.

      Eric
      http://www.ericrice.com
    • Jennifer Reeves
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
        I spent last week attempting to ³vodcast² an education conference.

        If you¹re interested ‹ check out
        http://journalism.missouri.edu/podcast/adc-video.xml

        -Jen
        journalism.missouri.edu/podcast

        From: Ryan Ozawa <ryan@...>
        Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:16:26 -0000
        To: <podcasters@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [podcasters] Video Podcasting?

        Is a video file a podcast?

        I'm seeing the phrase "video podcasting" more and more often. Which
        is jarring to me, even though I'm dabbling in videoblogging, because I
        always associated the already problematic term "podcast" with audio.
        Even if podcasting isn't limited to iPods, after all, iPods are audio
        devices... for now.

        But, people who see the word "podcast" as referring more to the
        delivery system -- sequential posts linked in a feed collected by
        aggregators that look for media enclosures -- I suppose it makes
        sense. Almost.

        I know, I know, another "what's in a name" question. But if
        "podcasting" as a term grows to include all subscription-esque
        multimedia, you're going to start seeing weird differentiators like
        "audio podcasting" (or, heaven forbid, "text podcasting" instead of
        "blogging"!).

        Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
        the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
        podcasting" isn't what we get instead.

        Now pardon me while I head over to 'videobloggers' to see what they
        think. <g>

        --
        Ryan
        HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        *
        *
        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
          From: Ryan Ozawa ryan@...

          >Is a video file a podcast?

          Indubitably yes.

          >Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
          the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
          podcasting" isn't what we get instead.

          I like "vodcast" - as suggested by Jim Stewart - because it ties in with "video on demand", a phrase which has been out there for
          years.

          Julian

          Podsafe Music: http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/blog/arc20050306.htm
          Podcast-Review: http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/review/
          Vlogdex: The Videoblog Index: http://www.vlogdex.com
        • Reed Porter
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
            Some guys over at MS are using the term "Blogcast" when they mix a
            screencast, audion, and post it on a blog.

            On 4/12/05, Jennifer Reeves <jlee_reeves@...> wrote:

            > I spent last week attempting to �vodcast� an education conference.
            >
            > If you�re interested � check out
            > http://journalism.missouri.edu/podcast/adc-video.xml
            >
            > -Jen
            > journalism.missouri.edu/podcast <http://journalism.missouri.edu/podcast>
            >
            > From: Ryan Ozawa <ryan@...>
            > Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:16:26 -0000
            > To: <podcasters@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [podcasters] Video Podcasting?
            >

            > Is a video file a podcast?
            >
            > I'm seeing the phrase "video podcasting" more and more often. Which
            > is jarring to me, even though I'm dabbling in videoblogging, because I
            > always associated the already problematic term "podcast" with audio.
            > Even if podcasting isn't limited to iPods, after all, iPods are audio
            > devices... for now.
            >
            > But, people who see the word "podcast" as referring more to the
            > delivery system -- sequential posts linked in a feed collected by
            > aggregators that look for media enclosures -- I suppose it makes
            > sense. Almost.
            >
            > I know, I know, another "what's in a name" question. But if
            > "podcasting" as a term grows to include all subscription-esque
            > multimedia, you're going to start seeing weird differentiators like
            > "audio podcasting" (or, heaven forbid, "text podcasting" instead of
            > "blogging"!).
            >
            > Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
            > the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
            > podcasting" isn't what we get instead.
            >
            > Now pardon me while I head over to 'videobloggers' to see what they
            > think. <g>
            >
            > --
            > Ryan
            > HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.