Video Podcasting?

  • Ryan Ozawa
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
      Is a video file a podcast?

      I'm seeing the phrase "video podcasting" more and more often. Which
      is jarring to me, even though I'm dabbling in videoblogging, because I
      always associated the already problematic term "podcast" with audio.
      Even if podcasting isn't limited to iPods, after all, iPods are audio
      devices... for now.

      But, people who see the word "podcast" as referring more to the
      delivery system -- sequential posts linked in a feed collected by
      aggregators that look for media enclosures -- I suppose it makes
      sense. Almost.

      I know, I know, another "what's in a name" question. But if
      "podcasting" as a term grows to include all subscription-esque
      multimedia, you're going to start seeing weird differentiators like
      "audio podcasting" (or, heaven forbid, "text podcasting" instead of
      "blogging"!).

      Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
      the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
      podcasting" isn't what we get instead.

      Now pardon me while I head over to 'videobloggers' to see what they
      think. <g>

      --
      Ryan
      HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
        I don't know what anyone else calls it, but I call it, "Making and posting video as often as I
        can and encouraging everyone I meet to do the same-casting"

        Heh. I KILL me.

        I make media. Just like my business cards say.

        ER

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Ozawa" <ryan@h...> wrote:

        > Is a video file a podcast?
        >
        > I'm seeing the phrase "video podcasting" more and more often. Which
        > is jarring to me, even though I'm dabbling in videoblogging, because I
        > always associated the already problematic term "podcast" with audio.
        > Even if podcasting isn't limited to iPods, after all, iPods are audio
        > devices... for now.
        >
        > But, people who see the word "podcast" as referring more to the
        > delivery system -- sequential posts linked in a feed collected by
        > aggregators that look for media enclosures -- I suppose it makes
        > sense. Almost.
        >
        > I know, I know, another "what's in a name" question. But if
        > "podcasting" as a term grows to include all subscription-esque
        > multimedia, you're going to start seeing weird differentiators like
        > "audio podcasting" (or, heaven forbid, "text podcasting" instead of
        > "blogging"!).
        >
        > Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
        > the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
        > podcasting" isn't what we get instead.
        >
        > Now pardon me while I head over to 'videobloggers' to see what they
        > think. <g>
        >
        > --
        > Ryan
        > HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.
        > http://www.hawaiiup.com
      • Ryan Ozawa
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Rice" <eric@e...> wrote:
          > I make media. Just like my business cards say.

          Yeah, I know, differentiating between the media seems, in the grand
          scheme of things, somewhat quaint. Whether it's text, audio, or video,
          it's what folks are doing that counts, not what they're using to do it.

          But for now, I'm guessing podcasters and vidcasters are obsessed over
          slightly different things.

          Podcasters aren't worried about greenscreening and title crawls or
          have the same kind of format wars the video folks do (WMV vs.
          QuickTime vs. AVI vs. Flash). We're doing different things to be sure
          but the Big Battle Against Radio is part of the mythology.

          Vidcasters (videobloggers/vloggers/voggers) I don't think are
          overturning TV or movies just yet, are working with mostly short
          format stuff (15 seconds!), and from what I've seen are doing a lot of
          "here's what I saw today" in addition to the "citizen journalism" angle.

          In the end we'll be one big happy all-media-generating mass of
          everyday folks. But as far as community and growing pains and
          probably the level of stress caused to the mainstream, I imagine
          bloggers are informing podcasters who are in turn informing
          vidcasters. Many do one of these things without ever considering the
          other two. So pesky labels and semantic quibbles may be around a while.
        • Eric Rice
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
            Maybe we could all be nerdy to the nTH degree and say "enclosureCasting", because that is
            SO hot.

            I'm neutral on the naming thing only because it doesn't help my personal causes of a)
            promoting my shows/network/tools or b) teaching acceptance of the mediums to everyday
            folks.

            My show is called a SHOW (as much as possible), except in print/web . Because the buzz of
            the day is around the word 'podcast'. Same thing with 'videoblog' (I can't quite stomach
            'vlog'), but that's how it's viewed.

            It might be a defeatist attitude, but if I have to spend 5 minutes explaining what the word
            means versus showing someone how to get started, I'll take the latter in an instant. All
            because I use language that relates to who's listening.

            Use no buzzwords if you can help it.

            There's plenty of us that hate the term 'radio show'. But 'radio' has a just a few DECADES
            more of familiarity than 'podcasting'. We have to work with that.

            People aren't going to wake up one day and go, "Hey fuck this mainstream media shit. I
            want podcasts!"

            That's our job.
            Infiltrate the masses.
            Show 'em a piece of our long tail.
            Relate it to 'em personally.
            Help EVERYone who wants to do this.
            Geez, I sound like Jay Dedman.
            That's a good thing.
            Wear sunscreen.

            Eric
            http://www.ericrice.com
          • Jennifer Reeves
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2005
              I spent last week attempting to ³vodcast² an education conference.

              If you¹re interested ‹ check out
              http://journalism.missouri.edu/podcast/adc-video.xml

              -Jen
              journalism.missouri.edu/podcast

              From: Ryan Ozawa <ryan@...>
              Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:16:26 -0000
              To: <podcasters@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [podcasters] Video Podcasting?

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              *
              *
              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Julian Doncaster (Yahoo1)
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
                From: Ryan Ozawa ryan@...

                >Is a video file a podcast?

                Indubitably yes.

                >Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
                the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
                podcasting" isn't what we get instead.

                I like "vodcast" - as suggested by Jim Stewart - because it ties in with "video on demand", a phrase which has been out there for
                years.

                Julian

                Podsafe Music: http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/blog/arc20050306.htm
                Podcast-Review: http://www.herecomespod.org.uk/review/
                Vlogdex: The Videoblog Index: http://www.vlogdex.com
              • Reed Porter
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
                  Some guys over at MS are using the term "Blogcast" when they mix a
                  screencast, audion, and post it on a blog.

                  On 4/12/05, Jennifer Reeves <jlee_reeves@...> wrote:

                  > I spent last week attempting to �vodcast� an education conference.
                  >
                  > If you�re interested � check out
                  > http://journalism.missouri.edu/podcast/adc-video.xml
                  >
                  > -Jen
                  > journalism.missouri.edu/podcast <http://journalism.missouri.edu/podcast>
                  >
                  > From: Ryan Ozawa <ryan@...>
                  > Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:16:26 -0000
                  > To: <podcasters@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: [podcasters] Video Podcasting?
                  >

                  > Is a video file a podcast?
                  >
                  > I'm seeing the phrase "video podcasting" more and more often. Which
                  > is jarring to me, even though I'm dabbling in videoblogging, because I
                  > always associated the already problematic term "podcast" with audio.
                  > Even if podcasting isn't limited to iPods, after all, iPods are audio
                  > devices... for now.
                  >
                  > But, people who see the word "podcast" as referring more to the
                  > delivery system -- sequential posts linked in a feed collected by
                  > aggregators that look for media enclosures -- I suppose it makes
                  > sense. Almost.
                  >
                  > I know, I know, another "what's in a name" question. But if
                  > "podcasting" as a term grows to include all subscription-esque
                  > multimedia, you're going to start seeing weird differentiators like
                  > "audio podcasting" (or, heaven forbid, "text podcasting" instead of
                  > "blogging"!).
                  >
                  > Not that "vlogging" is a great term - not all video creators are doing
                  > the equivalent of a written weblog, after all - but I hope "video
                  > podcasting" isn't what we get instead.
                  >
                  > Now pardon me while I head over to 'videobloggers' to see what they
                  > think. <g>
                  >
                  > --
                  > Ryan
                  > HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.