How I Have Been Recording Podcasts

  • Cm Ross
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2014
      Hello,

      Thanks for the responses. I have tried the following methods of recording:

      1) taping from an audio tape recorder and using Audio Recorder 2.0 software to convert to an MP3 format

      2) Skype recording with audacity or callnote. Skype discontinued the software interface that enabled 3rd party software to work with Skype.

      3) freeconferencecall.com using MagicJack as phone.

      The phone call sounds fine in all cases. It's the recording that doesn't - my side sounds okay. The person I call sounds faint.

      How can I fix it?

      Thanks again,
      Christine
    • Kevin Bachelder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2014
        > 2) Skype discontinued the software interface that enabled 3rd party software to work with Skype.

        Skype reversed that and many of the programs that stopped working now
        work again.

        > It's the recording that doesn't - my side sounds okay. The person I call sounds faint.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        > Christine

        Have you looked at Levelator?

        http://web.archive.org/web/20130729204551id_/http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

        Good luck,

        Kevin

        -----

        New to the awesomeness that is Dragon Con?
        http://www.dragonconnewbies.org

        Tuning In To Scifi TV podcast (covering all genre TV shows)
        http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

        Saturday B Movie Reel podcast (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
        http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com
      • Nobilis Reed
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2014
          Another option (one that's being maintained, as opposed to Levelator) is auphonic:

          www.auphonic.com

          On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Kevin Bachelder kbachelder@... [podcasters] <podcasters@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          --
          Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the airlock.
          http://www.nobiliserotica.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2014
            I know several Podcasters actually get all people in the to record their own "voice" on their side. That way you should have a excellent sound on both ends and you can mix each person in post instead of having the people called being Mixed in with the Audio.

            The people I regularly see doing this they often have to do the "Count in" at the beginning, before they actually talk about what they're talking about. (These guys do a live show, and subsequently shows off this stuff.)

            Just make sure the everyone is recoding from the good microphone, not a webcam. I'd post a link where I didn't follow my advice, but I can't find it online anymore, nor can I upload the files in question.

            If that isn't an option, You could set the Recording so that your Mic is left and the Phone call is on the right. You should be able to mix the levels better that way, then combine both sides late in the Post production side.

            Mike