RE: Re: new podcaster, could use a little help

  • writerpatrick
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
      I've used Feedburner and it does make things a lot easier, although I don't think it's stats are accurate. But it's a good choice for a novice who wants to get into podcasting and try it out, especially when you consider that many podcasts don't even last more than three episodes and most podcasters quit within year. If one does want to podcast professionally then they need to consider a professional setup, including a professional account. But for the first-time podcaster Feedburner is a good choice, especially if you don't care about making money from your podcast. And if you find after a while that you do want to make it professional, then it's simple enough to migrate over. I know the first podcast I did lasted about six or seven episodes. I then went on to do a couple that lasted a few years. So there's no point in spending money on a domain and the like unless you know you're going to stay at it. --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, <amerinz@...> wrote: Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,
      after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with Feedburner, that's a valid choice.