Re: new podcaster, could use a little help

  • Arthur
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 28, 2013
      Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,
      after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with Feedburner, that's a valid choice.

    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
        Arthur

        I am not alone in this opinion by any means, and industry folks say its
        only a mater of time. Anyone that advises a new podcaster to use
        Feedburner is giving them "very bad advice" with few exceptions (see
        below).

        We and others continue to see increased latency on feed pickup. Apple
        has this past week started sending warnings and not updating some
        podcasters episodes that are using Feedburner, as their feeds and the
        specific Feedburner features they are using have fell out of compliance
        with current standards. Another sign of Feedburner neglect.

        When a service is not maintained and is only on life support, I am not
        sure I am would be willing to risk my shows audience to that service..
        Free in that instance comes at to high a price.

        The exceptions to using Feedburner remain what has been from the beginning.

        1. The podcaster is using a walled garden like podbean, podomatic,
        libsyn.com feed etc...
        2. The blogging platform they are on does not support podcasting (blogger)

        We hope that Feedburner does not shutdown as it would negatively effect
        podcasters like you. Free comes at a to high a price from show growth
        and branding control..

        Since Feedburners inception I have advocated that podcasters should
        control / own their feeds as it is the lifeblood of their shows. In the
        end companies like ours will continue to be paid to clean up the mess.
        We can handle the volume of podcasters escaping Feedburner now..

        Any decision to close Feedburner will come with several months of
        pre-warning, and give folks sufficient time to migrate their feeds.

        Todd..

        On 8/28/2013 1:22 AM, Arthur wrote:

        > Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I
        > personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know
        > have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin
        > to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who
        > don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any
        > money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free
        > service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail,
        > Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as
        > Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing
        > stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For
        > some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for
        > others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk,
        > while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that.
        > I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not
        > right. This isn't war,
        > after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that
        > people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be
        > happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with
        > Feedburner, that's a valid choice.

        Todd Cochrane
        Executive Producer
        Geek News Central
        @geeknews
        808-741-4923

      • writerpatrick
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
          I've used Feedburner and it does make things a lot easier, although I don't think it's stats are accurate. But it's a good choice for a novice who wants to get into podcasting and try it out, especially when you consider that many podcasts don't even last more than three episodes and most podcasters quit within year. If one does want to podcast professionally then they need to consider a professional setup, including a professional account. But for the first-time podcaster Feedburner is a good choice, especially if you don't care about making money from your podcast. And if you find after a while that you do want to make it professional, then it's simple enough to migrate over. I know the first podcast I did lasted about six or seven episodes. I then went on to do a couple that lasted a few years. So there's no point in spending money on a domain and the like unless you know you're going to stay at it. --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, <amerinz@...> wrote: Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,