Re: [podcasters] Re: new podcaster, could use a little help

  • Todd Cochrane
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
      Arthur

      Google "feedburner shutting down" We are not alone in this assessment
      of Feedburner having the potential of being on the chopping block. The
      service has been on life support for many years, they have invested zero
      dollars in improving it and key portions of the service are simply broken.

      We consider it very bad advise now to use Feedburner. Do we want to see
      the service go away, no... Google has been on a ANTI - RSS kick for a
      while now.. Can you get a RSS feed out of G+ no.... You have never been
      able to get a RSS feed out of Blogger, you can get an ATOM feed but that
      is a hold over to what the original creators put on the site..

      Since 2005 I have been a very VOCAL advocate of podcasters controlling
      there own feed, or at the very least having a way to recover if they use
      a service provider like Feedburner..

      This has nothing to do with making money this has to do with making sure
      that your show retains its subscribers and maintaining a brand. I dont
      care if you have 100 listeners or a million. Your RSS feed is the
      lifeblood of your show that is the gateway into all distribution systems..

      For 9 years my podcast RSS feed has never changed and it will never
      change, I do not have to worry ever about a third party pulling the
      plug... When I transitioned from MT to Wordpress a number of years ago,
      my feed stayed intact because I had the fore thought to control it from
      the beginning.

      I do not want to be the one to say "I Told You So" someday because their
      departure would leave a lot of shows high and dry... So why risk it...

      Todd

      On 8/13/2013 10:01 AM, Arthur wrote:

      > Most podcasts will never make a cent, and will never even have that
      > possibility. That's just a fact: Look at the hundreds listed in iTunes
      > Store in any category and think about how many have more than a
      > handful of listeners. Most podcasts are done as a hobby, for some fun,
      > or simply for self-expresion. However, if someone DOES plan to try and
      > make money through podcasting, I agree that it makes sense to set
      > things up from the start with that in mind, but for most of us, free
      > or low cost is just fine.
      >
      > I have used Feedburner for many years and have never had any problems
      > with it whatsoever, nor has anybody that I know personally. EVERY
      > service has problems or glitches from time to time, obviously
      > including Blubrry. That's just a fact of life. A lot of the podcasters
      > I know personally complain from time to time about Libsyn, too. From
      > what I've seen and experienced, more often than not, any problems are
      > related to the webhost (or iTunes Store itself), not how the feed is
      > delivered. The point is, perfection doesn't exist and people have to
      > make the best choices for their circumstances.
      >
      > Having said that, it's more than a little absurd to assume that
      > because Google Reader was dumped, Feedburner will be, too. They were
      > very different products with very different purposes. But even if it
      > DID go away, I could re-direct my feed because I have a self-hosted
      > Wordpress site using the podPress plug-in. I have control over my
      > feed, ultimately, and not Feedburner. This is too complicated for the
      > small independent podcasters who may have no web skills whatsoever,
      > and simpler free solutions work well for them.
      >
      > It's also important to remember that most podcasts don't last long,
      > for whatever reason. Does it really make sense to invest in something
      > that a person may get sick of in only a few months? I think it's best
      > to go free/low cost to start out with and upscale later if it works out.
      >
      > All of my comments relate to individual, independent podcast producers
      > like me, people who are podcasting for the love the medium; businesses
      > or people who are looking to use podcasting to make money have very
      > different requirements and goals than us small, independent producers.
      > What I'm saying is that what makes sense for commercially-driven
      > podcasts makes little or no sense for small, independent producers.
      >
      > Arthur

      Todd Cochrane
      Executive Producer
      Geek News Central
      @geeknews
      808-741-4923

    • Arthur
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 28, 2013
        Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,
        after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with Feedburner, that's a valid choice.

      • Todd Cochrane
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
          Arthur

          I am not alone in this opinion by any means, and industry folks say its
          only a mater of time. Anyone that advises a new podcaster to use
          Feedburner is giving them "very bad advice" with few exceptions (see
          below).

          We and others continue to see increased latency on feed pickup. Apple
          has this past week started sending warnings and not updating some
          podcasters episodes that are using Feedburner, as their feeds and the
          specific Feedburner features they are using have fell out of compliance
          with current standards. Another sign of Feedburner neglect.

          When a service is not maintained and is only on life support, I am not
          sure I am would be willing to risk my shows audience to that service..
          Free in that instance comes at to high a price.

          The exceptions to using Feedburner remain what has been from the beginning.

          1. The podcaster is using a walled garden like podbean, podomatic,
          libsyn.com feed etc...
          2. The blogging platform they are on does not support podcasting (blogger)

          We hope that Feedburner does not shutdown as it would negatively effect
          podcasters like you. Free comes at a to high a price from show growth
          and branding control..

          Since Feedburners inception I have advocated that podcasters should
          control / own their feeds as it is the lifeblood of their shows. In the
          end companies like ours will continue to be paid to clean up the mess.
          We can handle the volume of podcasters escaping Feedburner now..

          Any decision to close Feedburner will come with several months of
          pre-warning, and give folks sufficient time to migrate their feeds.

          Todd..

          On 8/28/2013 1:22 AM, Arthur wrote:

          > Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I
          > personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know
          > have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin
          > to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who
          > don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any
          > money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free
          > service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail,
          > Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as
          > Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing
          > stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For
          > some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for
          > others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk,
          > while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that.
          > I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not
          > right. This isn't war,
          > after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that
          > people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be
          > happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with
          > Feedburner, that's a valid choice.

          Todd Cochrane
          Executive Producer
          Geek News Central
          @geeknews
          808-741-4923

        • writerpatrick
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
            I've used Feedburner and it does make things a lot easier, although I don't think it's stats are accurate. But it's a good choice for a novice who wants to get into podcasting and try it out, especially when you consider that many podcasts don't even last more than three episodes and most podcasters quit within year. If one does want to podcast professionally then they need to consider a professional setup, including a professional account. But for the first-time podcaster Feedburner is a good choice, especially if you don't care about making money from your podcast. And if you find after a while that you do want to make it professional, then it's simple enough to migrate over. I know the first podcast I did lasted about six or seven episodes. I then went on to do a couple that lasted a few years. So there's no point in spending money on a domain and the like unless you know you're going to stay at it. --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, <amerinz@...> wrote: Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,