RE: [podcasters] Re: Music Licensing For Podcast

  • Alex Williams
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
      Yes, 10,000 listeners is a lot. And perhaps that is too high a number to
      consider for now. But shows are starting to show those kinds of numbers
      such as Podcasting News report today about the Podcast Network. In
      March, they reported that shows are being downloaded every 44 seconds.
      Over 60,000 mp3 files were downloaded.

      As the demand for programming increases, there will be more people who
      want to offer commercial programs. They will be independents, too. What
      about these folks? Does the creative commons license allow for use of
      the music in a podcast under its provisions? Most artists are unaware of
      these issues. They want to create. They want to share. But how do they
      get compensated?

      The grunge music and the rest are authentic and ideal in many respects.
      But what are the long term implications for artists and producers who
      wish to make a living from licensing their music for podcasting?

      Alex.

      P.S. Ugh. Screwed up the url in my first post. It should be:
      www.corante.com/podcasting

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2005
        Would I be interested in playing major label music over on
        http://www.accidenthash.com ? Sure I would love to once and a while.

        But, honestly my inbox and postal box has been full since starting the show
        and I love the diversity of very talented independent artists and labels
        that I'm getting exposure to. There is no shortage of quality music and by
        playing it I know I'm helping out the artist to sell their music and raise
        awareness. It helps them out and I get exposure to this great music. We all
        win.

        Just my 2 cents on a Friday afternoon.

        -C.C.
        www.accidenthash.com

      • Eric Rice
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
          As someone who is allowed to play music from a major label, AND as someone who plays
          (and loves) indie music, I figured I'd throw some change into the well here.

          Some of the indies I've worked with are quite thrilled about my project with Warner. And
          you're right, there is certainly no shortage of music from unknowns and unsigned artists.
          Yet I'm willing to bet our own personal playlists are filled with the familiar and the new,
          reflecting both our growing tastes and the old standbys we grew up with. Music is music,
          and the best music in the world is the music we like.

          Eric
          http://www.ericrice.com

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "C.C. Chapman" <cc@r...> wrote:
          > Would I be interested in playing major label music over on
          > http://www.accidenthash.com ? Sure I would love to once and a while.
          >
          > But, honestly my inbox and postal box has been full since starting the show
          > and I love the diversity of very talented independent artists and labels
          > that I'm getting exposure to. There is no shortage of quality music and by
          > playing it I know I'm helping out the artist to sell their music and raise
          > awareness. It helps them out and I get exposure to this great music. We all
          > win.
          >
          > Just my 2 cents on a Friday afternoon.
          >
          > -C.C.
          > www.accidenthash.com

        • C.C. Chapman
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2005
            "Music is music, and the best music in the world is the music we like."

            Perfectly said!

            C.C. Chapman
            Spinning the best in new independent music on the
            Accident Hash Podcast
            http://www.accidenthash.com <http://www.accidenthash.com/>

            _____

            As someone who is allowed to play music from a major label, AND as someone
            who plays
            (and loves) indie music, I figured I'd throw some change into the well here.

            Some of the indies I've worked with are quite thrilled about my project with
            Warner. And
            you're right, there is certainly no shortage of music from unknowns and
            unsigned artists.
            Yet I'm willing to bet our own personal playlists are filled with the
            familiar and the new,
            reflecting both our growing tastes and the old standbys we grew up with.
            Music is music,
            and the best music in the world is the music we like.

            Eric
            http://www.ericrice.com

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "C.C. Chapman" <cc@r...> wrote:
            > Would I be interested in playing major label music over on
            > http://www.accidenthash.com ? Sure I would love to once and a while.
            >
            > But, honestly my inbox and postal box has been full since starting the
            show
            > and I love the diversity of very talented independent artists and labels
            > that I'm getting exposure to. There is no shortage of quality music and by
            > playing it I know I'm helping out the artist to sell their music and raise
            > awareness. It helps them out and I get exposure to this great music. We
            all
            > win.
            >
            > Just my 2 cents on a Friday afternoon.
            >
            > -C.C.