new podcaster, could use a little help

  • infamydebaucheryfailure
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
      I do a podcast with a couple friends and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it so that people can subscribe to it.

      we have hosting on soundcloud and a tumblr.
      once we upload it to soundcloud we hit the share link and have it link to the tumblr. the problem is I haven't been able to subscribe to it using gpodder off of the tumblrs rss feed.

      can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

      the tumblr is
      infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com

      thanks
    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2013
        In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any other choice.

        -Shawn
        http://nomarket.org/

      • chrismottes@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
          Hey Shawn & unnamed person behind "infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com",

          Full disclosure - I'm the CEO of Hindenburg, but honestly, this is not an unrelated opportunistic plug...I just noticed your help request on the forum and thought I might have a solution.

          Hindenburg Journalist (http://hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist) includes a 1-click upload function for podcasters, that updates the RSS feed automatically when you upload your podcast to your server. It also includes a 1-click upload to Soundcloud. This means you avoid having to make the extra confusing steps related to RSS feed with Feedburner or Ubercaster. Maybe this would work with Tumblr? You can download a 30-day free trial here: (hindenburgsystems.com/trial)

          Best of luck with the podcast,
          Chris

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:

          > In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any other choice.
          >
          > -Shawn
          > http://nomarket.org/
          >
          > On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:44 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:
          >
          > > I do a podcast with a couple friends and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it so that people can subscribe to it.
          > >
          > > we have hosting on soundcloud and a tumblr.
          > > once we upload it to soundcloud we hit the share link and have it link to the tumblr. the problem is I haven't been able to subscribe to it using gpodder off of the tumblrs rss feed.
          > >
          > > can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
          > >
          > > the tumblr is
          > > infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com
          > >
          > > thanks

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
            We have been cautioning folks on using Feedburner for a while now.
            Google has done nothing with the platform, and it is our #1 ongoing
            support issue with folks that made the misatake of using it. Here are
            two articles on the subject..

            http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/feedburner-for-podcasting/
            http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/leaving-feedburner/

            On a second note: Why would anyone risk putting their media on
            Soundcloud when Soundcloud can do whatever they want with the media.
            They may not drop ads on the content today but as companies mature they
            need to make money.. We have seen this repeated many times use at your
            own risk..

            Todd

            On 8/8/2013 2:28 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:

            > Hey Shawn & unnamed person behind "infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com",
            >
            > Full disclosure - I'm the CEO of Hindenburg, but honestly, this is not
            > an unrelated opportunistic plug...I just noticed your help request on
            > the forum and thought I might have a solution.
            >
            > Hindenburg Journalist
            > (http://hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist) includes
            > a 1-click upload function for podcasters, that updates the RSS feed
            > automatically when you upload your podcast to your server. It also
            > includes a 1-click upload to Soundcloud. This means you avoid having
            > to make the extra confusing steps related to RSS feed with Feedburner
            > or Ubercaster. Maybe this would work with Tumblr? You can download a
            > 30-day free trial here: (hindenburgsystems.com/trial)
            >
            > Best of luck with the podcast,
            > Chris
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application
            > (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to
            > the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't
            > appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as
            > far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS
            > feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to
            > podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be
            > done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd
            > have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not
            > just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr
            > RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary
            > podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners
            > to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep
            > in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my
            > recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at
            > things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any
            > other choice.
            > >
            > > -Shawn
            > > http://nomarket.org/
            > >
            > > On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:44 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:
            > >
            > > > I do a podcast with a couple friends and I'm having trouble
            > figuring out how to make it so that people can subscribe to it.
            > > >
            > > > we have hosting on soundcloud and a tumblr.
            > > > once we upload it to soundcloud we hit the share link and have it
            > link to the tumblr. the problem is I haven't been able to subscribe to
            > it using gpodder off of the tumblrs rss feed.
            > > >
            > > > can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
            > > >
            > > > the tumblr is
            > > > infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com
            > > >
            > > > thanks

            Todd Cochrane
            Executive Producer
            Geek News Central
            @geeknews
            808-741-4923

          • infamydebaucheryfailure
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2013
              thank you.
              do you know of another free blog that may work better?

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:

              > In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any other choice.
              >
              > -Shawn
              > http://nomarket.org/
              >
              > On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:44 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:
              >
              > > I do a podcast with a couple friends and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it so that people can subscribe to it.
              > >
              > > we have hosting on soundcloud and a tumblr.
              > > once we upload it to soundcloud we hit the share link and have it link to the tumblr. the problem is I haven't been able to subscribe to it using gpodder off of the tumblrs rss feed.
              > >
              > > can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
              > >
              > > the tumblr is
              > > infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com
              > >
              > > thanks

            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10, 2013
                To the best of my knowledge, the only other free blogging platforms are WordPress.com and Blogger. You could use either of these platforms to host a show blog but I'm pretty sure you'd still have to rely on Feedburner to make your podcast-ready RSS feed. If you run a self-hosted WordPress installation, you can install the Blubrry PowerPress plugin and the plugin will be able to create your podcast feed(s) pretty easily. But there's no way to use PowerPress with a free wordpress.com blog (as far as I know).

                -Shawn
                http://nomarket.org/

                On Aug 10, 2013, at 5:06 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:

                > thank you.
                > do you know of another free blog that may work better?
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any other choice.
                > >
                > > -Shawn
                > > http://nomarket.org/
                > >
                > > On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:44 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:
                > >
                > > > I do a podcast with a couple friends and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it so that people can subscribe to it.
                > > >
                > > > we have hosting on soundcloud and a tumblr.
                > > > once we upload it to soundcloud we hit the share link and have it link to the tumblr. the problem is I haven't been able to subscribe to it using gpodder off of the tumblrs rss feed.
                > > >
                > > > can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
                > > >
                > > > the tumblr is
                > > > infamydebaucheryfailure.tumblr.com
                > > >
                > > > thanks

              • infamydebaucheryfailure
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 10, 2013
                  ok

                  thanks for all your help man

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:

                  > To the best of my knowledge, the only other free blogging platforms are WordPress.com and Blogger. You could use either of these platforms to host a show blog but I'm pretty sure you'd still have to rely on Feedburner to make your podcast-ready RSS feed. If you run a self-hosted WordPress installation, you can install the Blubrry PowerPress plugin and the plugin will be able to create your podcast feed(s) pretty easily. But there's no way to use PowerPress with a free wordpress.com blog (as far as I know).
                  >
                  > -Shawn
                  > http://nomarket.org/
                  >
                  > On Aug 10, 2013, at 5:06 PM, infamydebaucheryfailure wrote:
                  >

                  > > thank you.
                  > > do you know of another free blog that may work better?
                  > >
                  > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > In order for a podcast feed to work in a podcatching application (such as gpodder), the feed must contain enclosure tags that point to the media files of each individual podcast episode. Tumblr doesn't appear to support enclosure tags automatically, and there's no way (as far as I can tell) for you to manually edit your Tumblr blog's RSS feed. I did some looking around online, and most of the "how to podcast with Tumblr" tutorials suggest that the only way this can be done is to use Feedburner to generate your podcast feed. So, you'd have to link directly to your podcast file hosted at Soundcloud (not just embed it) from within your Tumblr posts and then send your Tumblr RSS thru Feedburner. With Feedburner, you can add all of the necessary podcast stuff to the feed. You'll need to direct all of your listeners to that Feedburner feed if they want to subscribe as a podcast. Keep in mind that there are many pros/cons to using Feedburner, and that my recommendation of it isn't a personal endorsement. But looking at things from a purely technical standpoint, I don't think you have any other choice.
                  > > >
                  > > > -Shawn
                  > > > http://nomarket.org/

                • Arthur
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11, 2013
                    Blogger/Blogspot allows enclosures (they call them "Enclosure Links") which the blog's RSS feed will then include. That makes it subscribable even using iTunes. However, if you're planning on submitting your podcast to the iTunes Store, I'd STRONGLY suggest using Feedburner for the feed you submit to the iTunes Store. That gives you flexibility in case you move your podcast site somewhere else, since changing the feed in iTunes is a real pain.

                    Arthur

                  • angelomandato
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 12, 2013
                      I know I upset a lot of folks when I say this, but STAY AWAY FROM FEEDBURNER or any other service that converts/transforms/hosts your feed.

                      1. Your feed is like your mailing address to your business/podcast. Don't give control of your business to someone else, keep it under your brand/web site domain name.

                      2. If you rely on a 3rd party service to convert your feed to support podcasting (FeedBurner SmartCast), you are setting yourself up for problems. If they do something wrong (which they do often), if they decide to shut down (which is inevitable now that Google Reader was shut down), etc... you are stuck.

                      3. Most support issues that we (Blubrry.com) deal with has to do with using FeedBurner or comparable services. We stopped helping folks for free many years ago if they use FeedBurner. And good luck getting someone on the phone at Google to help you with your FeedBurner problem. Yes, we charge folks to help them fix their FeedBurner issues and it is a bulk of our consulting business, but this is not something we want to be doing.

                      4. With cloud based subscriptions, the "subscription" numbers FeedBurner gives you is completely bogus, you will have many more subscribers than it will report. For a podcast, you are better off measuring your success with the media downloads.

                      Earn more about FeedBurner and podcasting here: http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/feedburner-for-podcasting/

                      You are better off putting more effort now and setting up your own web site with WordPress (Anywhere other than WordPress.com since that version of WordPress is locked down), getting all the plugins to do what you want, and get Blubrry PowerPress to add the podcasting features, then everything will under your control, on your branded domain name (example.com).

                      --angelo

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Arthur <amerinz@...> wrote:

                      > Blogger/Blogspot allows enclosures (they call them "Enclosure Links") which the blog's RSS feed will then include. That makes it subscribable even using iTunes. However, if you're planning on submitting your podcast to the iTunes Store, I'd STRONGLY suggest using Feedburner for the feed you submit to the iTunes Store. That gives you flexibility in case you move your podcast site somewhere else, since changing the feed in iTunes is a real pain.
                      >

                      > Arthur

                    • David Jackson
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 12, 2013
                        If you bowl, you have to rent shoes. If you ride you need a bike. If you
                        golf, you need clubs. All hobbies require some up front costs. None of
                        those have the potential of making any money. Podcasting does. Just a
                        thought. I wouldn't get into podcasting for the money, but when its done
                        right, there is that potential.

                        Dave Jackson
                        www.howtopodcast.com

                        On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM, angelomandato <cio@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I know I upset a lot of folks when I say this, but STAY AWAY FROM
                        > FEEDBURNER or any other service that converts/transforms/hosts your feed.
                        >
                        > 1. Your feed is like your mailing address to your business/podcast. Don't
                        > give control of your business to someone else, keep it under your brand/web
                        > site domain name.
                        >
                        > 2. If you rely on a 3rd party service to convert your feed to support
                        > podcasting (FeedBurner SmartCast), you are setting yourself up for
                        > problems. If they do something wrong (which they do often), if they decide
                        > to shut down (which is inevitable now that Google Reader was shut down),
                        > etc... you are stuck.
                        >
                        > 3. Most support issues that we (Blubrry.com) deal with has to do with
                        > using FeedBurner or comparable services. We stopped helping folks for free
                        > many years ago if they use FeedBurner. And good luck getting someone on the
                        > phone at Google to help you with your FeedBurner problem. Yes, we charge
                        > folks to help them fix their FeedBurner issues and it is a bulk of our
                        > consulting business, but this is not something we want to be doing.
                        >
                        > 4. With cloud based subscriptions, the "subscription" numbers FeedBurner
                        > gives you is completely bogus, you will have many more subscribers than it
                        > will report. For a podcast, you are better off measuring your success with
                        > the media downloads.
                        >
                        > Earn more about FeedBurner and podcasting here:
                        > http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/feedburner-for-podcasting/
                        >
                        > You are better off putting more effort now and setting up your own web
                        > site with WordPress (Anywhere other than WordPress.com since that version
                        > of WordPress is locked down), getting all the plugins to do what you want,
                        > and get Blubrry PowerPress to add the podcasting features, then everything
                        > will under your control, on your branded domain name (example.com).
                        >
                        > --angelo
                        >

                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Arthur <amerinz@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Blogger/Blogspot allows enclosures (they call them "Enclosure Links")
                        > which the blog's RSS feed will then include. That makes it subscribable
                        > even using iTunes. However, if you're planning on submitting your podcast
                        > to the iTunes Store, I'd STRONGLY suggest using Feedburner for the feed you
                        > submit to the iTunes Store. That gives you flexibility in case you move
                        > your podcast site somewhere else, since changing the feed in iTunes is a
                        > real pain.
                        > >

                        > > Arthur

                        Dave Jackson
                        www.davidjackson.org

                      • Arthur
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 13, 2013
                          Most podcasts will never make a cent, and will never even have that possibility. That's just a fact: Look at the hundreds listed in iTunes Store in any category and think about how many have more than a handful of listeners. Most podcasts are done as a hobby, for some fun, or simply for self-expresion. However, if someone DOES plan to try and make money through podcasting, I agree that it makes sense to set things up from the start with that in mind, but for most of us, free or low cost is just fine.

                          I have used Feedburner for many years and have never had any problems with it whatsoever, nor has anybody that I know personally. EVERY service has problems or glitches from time to time, obviously including Blubrry. That's just a fact of life. A lot of the podcasters I know personally complain from time to time about Libsyn, too. From what I've seen and experienced, more often than not, any problems are related to the webhost (or iTunes Store itself), not how the feed is delivered. The point is, perfection doesn't exist and people have to make the best choices for their circumstances.

                          Having said that, it's more than a little absurd to assume that because Google Reader was dumped, Feedburner will be, too. They were very different products with very different purposes. But even if it DID go away, I could re-direct my feed because I have a self-hosted Wordpress site using the podPress plug-in. I have control over my feed, ultimately, and not Feedburner. This is too complicated for the small independent podcasters who may have no web skills whatsoever, and simpler free solutions work well for them.

                          It's also important to remember that most podcasts don't last long, for whatever reason. Does it really make sense to invest in something that a person may get sick of in only a few months? I think it's best to go free/low cost to start out with and upscale later if it works out.

                          All of my comments relate to individual, independent podcast producers like me, people who are podcasting for the love the medium; businesses or people who are looking to use podcasting to make money have very different requirements and goals than us small, independent producers. What I'm saying is that what makes sense for commercially-driven podcasts makes little or no sense for small, independent producers.

                          Arthur

                        • Todd Cochrane
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 14, 2013
                            Arthur

                            Google "feedburner shutting down" We are not alone in this assessment
                            of Feedburner having the potential of being on the chopping block. The
                            service has been on life support for many years, they have invested zero
                            dollars in improving it and key portions of the service are simply broken.

                            We consider it very bad advise now to use Feedburner. Do we want to see
                            the service go away, no... Google has been on a ANTI - RSS kick for a
                            while now.. Can you get a RSS feed out of G+ no.... You have never been
                            able to get a RSS feed out of Blogger, you can get an ATOM feed but that
                            is a hold over to what the original creators put on the site..

                            Since 2005 I have been a very VOCAL advocate of podcasters controlling
                            there own feed, or at the very least having a way to recover if they use
                            a service provider like Feedburner..

                            This has nothing to do with making money this has to do with making sure
                            that your show retains its subscribers and maintaining a brand. I dont
                            care if you have 100 listeners or a million. Your RSS feed is the
                            lifeblood of your show that is the gateway into all distribution systems..

                            For 9 years my podcast RSS feed has never changed and it will never
                            change, I do not have to worry ever about a third party pulling the
                            plug... When I transitioned from MT to Wordpress a number of years ago,
                            my feed stayed intact because I had the fore thought to control it from
                            the beginning.

                            I do not want to be the one to say "I Told You So" someday because their
                            departure would leave a lot of shows high and dry... So why risk it...

                            Todd

                            On 8/13/2013 10:01 AM, Arthur wrote:

                            > Most podcasts will never make a cent, and will never even have that
                            > possibility. That's just a fact: Look at the hundreds listed in iTunes
                            > Store in any category and think about how many have more than a
                            > handful of listeners. Most podcasts are done as a hobby, for some fun,
                            > or simply for self-expresion. However, if someone DOES plan to try and
                            > make money through podcasting, I agree that it makes sense to set
                            > things up from the start with that in mind, but for most of us, free
                            > or low cost is just fine.
                            >
                            > I have used Feedburner for many years and have never had any problems
                            > with it whatsoever, nor has anybody that I know personally. EVERY
                            > service has problems or glitches from time to time, obviously
                            > including Blubrry. That's just a fact of life. A lot of the podcasters
                            > I know personally complain from time to time about Libsyn, too. From
                            > what I've seen and experienced, more often than not, any problems are
                            > related to the webhost (or iTunes Store itself), not how the feed is
                            > delivered. The point is, perfection doesn't exist and people have to
                            > make the best choices for their circumstances.
                            >
                            > Having said that, it's more than a little absurd to assume that
                            > because Google Reader was dumped, Feedburner will be, too. They were
                            > very different products with very different purposes. But even if it
                            > DID go away, I could re-direct my feed because I have a self-hosted
                            > Wordpress site using the podPress plug-in. I have control over my
                            > feed, ultimately, and not Feedburner. This is too complicated for the
                            > small independent podcasters who may have no web skills whatsoever,
                            > and simpler free solutions work well for them.
                            >
                            > It's also important to remember that most podcasts don't last long,
                            > for whatever reason. Does it really make sense to invest in something
                            > that a person may get sick of in only a few months? I think it's best
                            > to go free/low cost to start out with and upscale later if it works out.
                            >
                            > All of my comments relate to individual, independent podcast producers
                            > like me, people who are podcasting for the love the medium; businesses
                            > or people who are looking to use podcasting to make money have very
                            > different requirements and goals than us small, independent producers.
                            > What I'm saying is that what makes sense for commercially-driven
                            > podcasts makes little or no sense for small, independent producers.
                            >
                            > Arthur

                            Todd Cochrane
                            Executive Producer
                            Geek News Central
                            @geeknews
                            808-741-4923

                          • Arthur
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 28, 2013
                              Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,
                              after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with Feedburner, that's a valid choice.

                            • Todd Cochrane
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
                                Arthur

                                I am not alone in this opinion by any means, and industry folks say its
                                only a mater of time. Anyone that advises a new podcaster to use
                                Feedburner is giving them "very bad advice" with few exceptions (see
                                below).

                                We and others continue to see increased latency on feed pickup. Apple
                                has this past week started sending warnings and not updating some
                                podcasters episodes that are using Feedburner, as their feeds and the
                                specific Feedburner features they are using have fell out of compliance
                                with current standards. Another sign of Feedburner neglect.

                                When a service is not maintained and is only on life support, I am not
                                sure I am would be willing to risk my shows audience to that service..
                                Free in that instance comes at to high a price.

                                The exceptions to using Feedburner remain what has been from the beginning.

                                1. The podcaster is using a walled garden like podbean, podomatic,
                                libsyn.com feed etc...
                                2. The blogging platform they are on does not support podcasting (blogger)

                                We hope that Feedburner does not shutdown as it would negatively effect
                                podcasters like you. Free comes at a to high a price from show growth
                                and branding control..

                                Since Feedburners inception I have advocated that podcasters should
                                control / own their feeds as it is the lifeblood of their shows. In the
                                end companies like ours will continue to be paid to clean up the mess.
                                We can handle the volume of podcasters escaping Feedburner now..

                                Any decision to close Feedburner will come with several months of
                                pre-warning, and give folks sufficient time to migrate their feeds.

                                Todd..

                                On 8/28/2013 1:22 AM, Arthur wrote:

                                > Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I
                                > personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know
                                > have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin
                                > to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who
                                > don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any
                                > money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free
                                > service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail,
                                > Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as
                                > Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing
                                > stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For
                                > some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for
                                > others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk,
                                > while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that.
                                > I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not
                                > right. This isn't war,
                                > after all, and no one has to "win" this discussion. I do think that
                                > people need to know and understand what they're getting into and be
                                > happy with the risks, but if that means they, like me, are happy with
                                > Feedburner, that's a valid choice.

                                Todd Cochrane
                                Executive Producer
                                Geek News Central
                                @geeknews
                                808-741-4923

                              • writerpatrick
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 29, 2013
                                  I've used Feedburner and it does make things a lot easier, although I don't think it's stats are accurate. But it's a good choice for a novice who wants to get into podcasting and try it out, especially when you consider that many podcasts don't even last more than three episodes and most podcasters quit within year. If one does want to podcast professionally then they need to consider a professional setup, including a professional account. But for the first-time podcaster Feedburner is a good choice, especially if you don't care about making money from your podcast. And if you find after a while that you do want to make it professional, then it's simple enough to migrate over. I know the first podcast I did lasted about six or seven episodes. I then went on to do a couple that lasted a few years. So there's no point in spending money on a domain and the like unless you know you're going to stay at it. --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, <amerinz@...> wrote: Todd, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither I nor anyone I personally know is worried about Feedburner. Some podcasters I know have complete control over their feed using methods I can't even begin to understand. And that, really, was my point: For those of us who don't have the technical skills and/or who don't want to spend any money on podcasting, then Feedburner is a good option. Every free service on the web has its risks: Google could shut down Gmail, Google+, Blogger, Picassa or Feedburner at any time, just as Wordpress.com could be shut down. At the same time, there's nothing stopping someone from launching a new site to replace Feedburner. For some people, the risk of using free services is worth it, while for others it isn't. For me and countless others, it's an acceptable risk, while for you it isn't. That's fine, to each their own, and all that. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that for me and others, you're not right. This isn't war,