iPods Skipping After Intro Section of Podcast Episode?

  • essential_pepsi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hi all, I'm wondering if you can help me with a quick troubleshoot.

      I've received similar complaints from various visitors, each time on an iPod or an iPhone:

      "I get your show from itunes but it often skips and jumps to the next epidode (on 2 different ipods) mainly after the previously recap or the beginning segment of the new episode or after the beginning theme"

      Is this a problem in our files? Is there something we need to be doing that we're not? A setting we can direct our listeners to? I can't replicate it and yet we've got 10 other people who've complained about the same thing.

      I'm not sure what's causing it and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out...

      Any ideas?

      Thanks in advance,

      -Nick Armstrong
      Giant Gnome Productions (http://giantgnome.com/)
    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013
        I played the last episode of "Star Trek Outpost" thru the embedded web player and let it run for five minutes. No problems. I then subscribed to the podcast in iTunes and listened for the same duration. No problems. I did notice that, in your iTunes Store listing, the running time isn't showing up for the most recent episode. I have no idea if this might be causing the problems some of your listeners are experiencing. Regardless, you may want to check the information in your RSS feed for that episode and make sure all of the tags are in order.

        -Shawn
        http://nomarket.org/

        On Jul 15, 2013, at 7:55 PM, essential_pepsi wrote:

        > Hi all, I'm wondering if you can help me with a quick troubleshoot.
        >
        > I've received similar complaints from various visitors, each time on an iPod or an iPhone:
        >
        > "I get your show from itunes but it often skips and jumps to the next epidode (on 2 different ipods) mainly after the previously recap or the beginning segment of the new episode or after the beginning theme"
        >
        > Is this a problem in our files? Is there something we need to be doing that we're not? A setting we can direct our listeners to? I can't replicate it and yet we've got 10 other people who've complained about the same thing.
        >
        > I'm not sure what's causing it and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out...
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > -Nick Armstrong
        > Giant Gnome Productions (http://giantgnome.com/)

      • Don (Beres) Bartlett
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
          It may be worth doing a survey of your subscribers. If this is only a
          problem with a few, that might help pinpoint the problem. If your final
          mixdown is clean and complete as Shawn indicated, then I would be looking
          elsewhere. And do not make the blanket assumption that iTunes is perfect.
          Apple, in their overreach to create proprietary software/hardware disciples
          have well and truly had their share of glitches, gloops and gremlins.
          Beres Bartlett
          Gospel Revolution PowerCast

          --
          Never steal somebody's hope! It may be all they have left.

        • angelomandato
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
            It sounds like your mp3 may be using a variable bit rate (VBR). Assuming your media hosting is HTTP/1.1 complaint that is, the VBR or the sample rate are the only other factors that can cause playback to stop or jump when streamed (rather than downloaded) depending on the player. If your media hosting is not HTTP/1.1 complaint, you will have issues with Apple iTunes specifically, HTTP/1.1 features such as byte serving and HEAD requests now required for iTunes.

            We have this and a few other possible issues noted in our Mp3 tips section in the Blubrry podcasting manual, here's a direct link: http://create.blubrry.com/manual/creating-podcast-media/audio/mp3-mpeg-layer-3-tips/

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "essential_pepsi" <nickmarmstrong@...> wrote:

            > Hi all, I'm wondering if you can help me with a quick troubleshoot.
            >
            > I've received similar complaints from various visitors, each time on an iPod or an iPhone:
            >
            > "I get your show from itunes but it often skips and jumps to the next epidode (on 2 different ipods) mainly after the previously recap or the beginning segment of the new episode or after the beginning theme"
            >
            > Is this a problem in our files? Is there something we need to be doing that we're not? A setting we can direct our listeners to? I can't replicate it and yet we've got 10 other people who've complained about the same thing.
            >
            > I'm not sure what's causing it and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out...
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > -Nick Armstrong
            > Giant Gnome Productions (http://giantgnome.com/)

          • Arthur
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
              There was an update to iTunes awhile back (from memory, it was maybe three updates ago) that affected interrupted downloads. If a person downloads a podcast to iTunes and it's interrupted for whatever reason, it didn't just carry on where it left off downloading, but restarted and added it to the same file. So, the podcast may start fine then suddenly restart. I've never heard of one jumping to an entirely different episode, but I suppose if a download was stalled and they don't refresh iTunes before you release a new episode, it could have added the new one to the incomplete download. That seems unlikely, however, since each episode is a unique file. Sounds like the episode restarting is the main problem, right?

              When this happened to me, the only solution was to delete the munted episode, go to iTunes store and manually download it again (iTunes will almost always ignore deleted episodes, even the current one, so you can't usually just refresh iTunes to get that episode).

              However, I haven't had this happen in quite awhile, and there have been a few iTunes updates since this problem started. So, maybe your listeners aren't running the current version of iTunes.

              Arthur