Podcast or not a podcast?

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2013
      I've been listening to podcasts for years now. I published one for a while,
      but I am far from an expert on the mysteries of RSS feeds.

      There is a TV show I watch on BBC America called The Nerdist. On the final
      show of the season the host mentioned he also has a podcast by the same name
      .. great.

      However when I went to the webpage for the "podcast" (
      http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist/ ) I could find episodes that I could
      play on demand or a link to download each ep manually. I also found a RSS
      feed ( http://www.nerdist.com/feed/ ) and "subscribed" to it in Internet
      Explorer. The problem is THERE IS NO MP3 ASSOCIATED WITH THE RSS FEED.

      Am I missing something? Is this happening often .. when folks THINK they
      have a podcast but actually don't. What is the reasoning behind not
      including a link to the mp3?

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2013
        The link is the TEENY TINY RSS symbol on the podcast episodes:

        http://nerdist.libsyn.com/rss

        On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I've been listening to podcasts for years now. I published one for a
        > while,
        > but I am far from an expert on the mysteries of RSS feeds.
        >
        > There is a TV show I watch on BBC America called The Nerdist. On the final
        > show of the season the host mentioned he also has a podcast by the same
        > name
        > .. great.
        >
        > However when I went to the webpage for the "podcast" (
        > http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/nerdist/ ) I could find episodes that I
        > could
        > play on demand or a link to download each ep manually. I also found a RSS
        > feed ( http://www.nerdist.com/feed/ ) and "subscribed" to it in Internet
        > Explorer. The problem is THERE IS NO MP3 ASSOCIATED WITH THE RSS FEED.
        >
        > Am I missing something? Is this happening often .. when folks THINK they
        > have a podcast but actually don't. What is the reasoning behind not
        > including a link to the mp3?
        >
        > Richard Amirault
        > Boston, MA, USA
        > http://n1jdu.org
        > http://bostonfandom.org

        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.
        http://www.nobiliserotica.com
        ----------------------------------
        "...You can write the most detailed...description of an ax entering a
        skull, and nobody will say a word in protest. But if you write a similarly
        detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get letters from
        people saying they�ll never read you again. What the hell? Penises entering
        vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world than axes entering skulls.�
        --Author George R. R. Martin

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2013
          From: "Nobilis Reed"

          > The link is the TEENY TINY RSS symbol on the podcast episodes:

          Yes, thanks ... before I closed out the webpage I looked at it again .. and
          saw that icon. It sorta looks like the conventional RSS icon, but has a
          circle around it instead of a square and it's not orange colored .. it
          almost looks like a "speaker" or "sound" icon. That's why I missed it the
          first time .. also, I missed it because they have a RSS link on the header
          of the webpage so I figured that's what I should subscribe to.

          I was going to post my finding before anyone commented on my post .. but you
          beat me to it :-)

          HOWEVER they post a RSS feed on the webpage has pretty much everything else
          about those episodes. In fact that feed has MUCH more information on each
          episode (than the 'real' feed) So why two feeds? Why not include the mp3 in
          both?

          Also, I sent a message to them complaining about the lack of mp3 in the RSS
          feed ... with no reply.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org