Re: [podcasters] Mobile Video Setup?

  • C. Hatton Humphrey
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2013
      I've been recording video comments from my car lately... my 30 minute
      commute gives me ample time for it. I'm using my phone in a window-mount
      holder and have noticed some things that I'll need to address eventually:

      1. Shakiness - The front-facing camera on my Galaxy S3 doesn't have
      anti-shake. I have to rely on YouTube's "fix" which works most times.
      2. Sound - While the sound quality is good, the camera is going to pick up
      whatever happens. I tried recording one day when it was raining and ended
      up scrapping the video because of the popcorn noise in the background.
      3. Light - Recording while you are driving is great for convenience but not
      so great for lighting. Overcast days are actually better than full sun
      because there's a shadow from the car roof and bright light from the window.
      4. Eye Contact - Recording videos you want to look at the camera. Driving
      a car, you need to look at the road. I wear sunglasses and that kinda
      masks the lack of eye contact.
      5. Hand gestures - I talk with my hands... which makes keeping at least one
      hand on the wheel when in motion. Even though I know my alignment is good,
      some of my viewers said, "I thought you were going to get into an accident."

      I got the idea from watching Jessica Frech, a singer that sometimes does
      vlogs in her car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHi6Huu-N3Y

      My videos are on YouTube (haven't found a good way to embed them on the
      site as of yet where they'll be a part of the feed) at
      http://www.youtube.com/user/conservativepodcast/videos

      Until Later!
      C. Hatton Humphrey
      http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

      Every cloud does have a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to do some
      smelting to find it.