Re: [podcasters] Mobile Video Setup?

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2013
      On 5/26/2013 9:26 AM, geek4x4 wrote:
      (snip)
      > My first idea was to get a new tablet with a camera. Most newer ones have a pretty decent built in rear camera and excellent battery life. iPad has the benefit of iMovie is well known and fairly straightforward video editing suite. and there are lots of accessories like tripods and what-not readily available.
      (snip)

      There are better ways to do this, but if you use a tablet PLEASE hold it
      sideways/horizontally when you shoot. Too many "phone / tablet" videos
      are vertical and don't work well on a computer screen.

      --
      Richard Amirault
      N1JDU
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2013
        I've been recording video comments from my car lately... my 30 minute
        commute gives me ample time for it. I'm using my phone in a window-mount
        holder and have noticed some things that I'll need to address eventually:

        1. Shakiness - The front-facing camera on my Galaxy S3 doesn't have
        anti-shake. I have to rely on YouTube's "fix" which works most times.
        2. Sound - While the sound quality is good, the camera is going to pick up
        whatever happens. I tried recording one day when it was raining and ended
        up scrapping the video because of the popcorn noise in the background.
        3. Light - Recording while you are driving is great for convenience but not
        so great for lighting. Overcast days are actually better than full sun
        because there's a shadow from the car roof and bright light from the window.
        4. Eye Contact - Recording videos you want to look at the camera. Driving
        a car, you need to look at the road. I wear sunglasses and that kinda
        masks the lack of eye contact.
        5. Hand gestures - I talk with my hands... which makes keeping at least one
        hand on the wheel when in motion. Even though I know my alignment is good,
        some of my viewers said, "I thought you were going to get into an accident."

        I got the idea from watching Jessica Frech, a singer that sometimes does
        vlogs in her car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHi6Huu-N3Y

        My videos are on YouTube (haven't found a good way to embed them on the
        site as of yet where they'll be a part of the feed) at
        http://www.youtube.com/user/conservativepodcast/videos

        Until Later!
        C. Hatton Humphrey
        http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

        Every cloud does have a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to do some
        smelting to find it.