Mobile Video Setup?

  • geek4x4
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2013
      So, I've always wanted to try video podcasting, but I know I'll run into an issue because it happens even with my audio podcast after recording it takes me a while to get back to the desk and do the editing.

      So, I was thinking if I could start editing immediately after recording, it might work out better, but the question then is how to do it.

      I was looking at a couple options and I'd like to know from any of you if you have tried anything similar and what has worked for you.

      My first idea was to get a new tablet with a camera. Most newer ones have a pretty decent built in rear camera and excellent battery life. iPad has the benefit of iMovie is well known and fairly straightforward video editing suite. and there are lots of accessories like tripods and what-not readily available.

      I don't know what video editing software is available for android tablets, but say a galaxy note, would have the benefit of being able to shunt the video off to a memory card, so it's not taking up all the space on the device.

      Another option would be to go with a windows 8 pro tablet, so it has the mobility benefit of a tablet, but can use any windows software. Of course, it's been a while since I used video software but windows isn't exactly known for good video tools.

      The other idea was to get a macbook and just use one of my USB cameras. Doesn't have the battery life of a tablet, but has more software available. has larger hard drive, but is bulkier and I'll have more things to carry around and forget.

      So, what do you think my best option is? Have any of you worked with video? how about editing on the iPad's version of iMovie or a similiar android software? Is this just a really bad idea?

      Thanks for the input.

      -John M. Campbell
      www.comicsradar.com
    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2013
        On 5/26/2013 9:26 AM, geek4x4 wrote:
        (snip)
        > My first idea was to get a new tablet with a camera. Most newer ones have a pretty decent built in rear camera and excellent battery life. iPad has the benefit of iMovie is well known and fairly straightforward video editing suite. and there are lots of accessories like tripods and what-not readily available.
        (snip)

        There are better ways to do this, but if you use a tablet PLEASE hold it
        sideways/horizontally when you shoot. Too many "phone / tablet" videos
        are vertical and don't work well on a computer screen.

        --
        Richard Amirault
        N1JDU
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2013
          I've been recording video comments from my car lately... my 30 minute
          commute gives me ample time for it. I'm using my phone in a window-mount
          holder and have noticed some things that I'll need to address eventually:

          1. Shakiness - The front-facing camera on my Galaxy S3 doesn't have
          anti-shake. I have to rely on YouTube's "fix" which works most times.
          2. Sound - While the sound quality is good, the camera is going to pick up
          whatever happens. I tried recording one day when it was raining and ended
          up scrapping the video because of the popcorn noise in the background.
          3. Light - Recording while you are driving is great for convenience but not
          so great for lighting. Overcast days are actually better than full sun
          because there's a shadow from the car roof and bright light from the window.
          4. Eye Contact - Recording videos you want to look at the camera. Driving
          a car, you need to look at the road. I wear sunglasses and that kinda
          masks the lack of eye contact.
          5. Hand gestures - I talk with my hands... which makes keeping at least one
          hand on the wheel when in motion. Even though I know my alignment is good,
          some of my viewers said, "I thought you were going to get into an accident."

          I got the idea from watching Jessica Frech, a singer that sometimes does
          vlogs in her car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHi6Huu-N3Y

          My videos are on YouTube (haven't found a good way to embed them on the
          site as of yet where they'll be a part of the feed) at
          http://www.youtube.com/user/conservativepodcast/videos

          Until Later!
          C. Hatton Humphrey
          http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

          Every cloud does have a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to do some
          smelting to find it.