Re: Analogue or digital

  • xstatiion
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6 3:25 PM
      Do you input Skype through the mixer from a different source? Or just make a track in GarageBand? I'd like to push everything through the mixer. Even Skype. Also, do you record with headphones? Thanks

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:

      > I have a Mackie Profx12. It has a USB interface so it can be plugged directly into your Mac. I also record (and edit) with Garageband. So, this mixer will work fine with that software. (And I have successfully incorporated Skype recording into my mixes with just this mixer and the computer.) Depending on how many sources you're looking to add, there is also an 8-channel version which costs less than the 12-channel mixer I have.
      >
      > -Shawn
      > http://nomarket.org/
      >
      > On Apr 5, 2013, at 10:58 PM, xstatiion wrote:
      >
      > > What's up people. I got the Fanmob Podcast off the ground and running. We are almost 20 episodes in. I use Garageband to record one track from a condenser mic. Post editing is pretty quick with Audacity. Noise removing for the hiss and equalizing for the volume. Now I know it's time to start dropping in original music and transition tracks. I also know I'd have to learn Garageband a bit more. I am thinking of doing the analogue setup with dynamic mics and a mixer going straight to Garageband. It's a bit pricey. I'm looking for any ideas about a setup that is easier for dropping in music and eventually Skype audio. A mixer is clunky and hard to be mobile with. But the digiatl setup I have is not going to work for enriching the end product. What do you people use? Time and a learning curve is not a lot of what I have. I can do an affordable analogue setup I'm thinking. I play guitar. So the audio practicality of analogue seems quick and easy to incorporate into recording a show. Suggestions?? We are on iTunes and Stitcher, btw. I suggest you all try getting on Stitcher if you aren't already. Thanks. Frank

    • Shawn Thorpe
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11 8:21 PM
        Here's how I make it all work:
        1.) Connect Profx12 to iMac via USB.
        2.) Connect all external sound sources (microphones, etc.) to Profx12.
        3.) Run cable from iMac audio-out/headphone port to a channel on the Profx12.
        4.) Launch Garageband. In Garageband settings (not system settings). set the audio input to "USB codec" (this is the proper name for the Profx12 within the preferences) and set the output to whatever you want. The output isn't important.
        5.) Be sure to turn audio monitoring off inside of Garageband.
        6.) Launch Skype. Within Skype, set your audio preferences so Skype is using the Profx12 as your audio input and your iMac's audio-out/headphone port as output.

        You will need to monitor your mix using headphones connected to the mixer instead of the computer. Presumably, this setup could be duplicated with a different mixer/audio input but I haven't tried it with any other gear, so your mileage may vary. It's also a good idea to not crank the volume on whichever channel takes the connection from your iMac, as I've found that sometimes, that can cause feedback for whomever you're talking to via Skype.

        -Shawn
        http://nomarket.org/

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 15 11:07 PM
          So I got the whole thing going with the same setup. It's very practical and pretty easy to understand. One thing: even with the effects muted, I get a slight reverb in the recording. Is it a matter of the gain versus the volume? I was messing with it for awhile tonight and probably need to get more used to it. Any advice about audio settings that reduce that very faint reverb sound? THANKS SO MUCH. You pretty much saved me a lot of time and money by laying this stuff out step by step.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18 1:55 PM
            One thing I usually do that I didn't mention because I'm not sure if it makes a big difference, but... I also set my Garageband audio output in Garageband preferences to Soundflower 2 channel (Soundflower is free to download/install if you don't already have it) as this basically kills Garageband's ability to accidentally send a signal back to the mixer. So, you may want to try that and see if it makes any difference. Beyond that, you don't need to have the Profx12's "USB Thru" button depressed since you're monitoring everything with headphones plugged directly into the mixer. Try these things and see if your problems with feedback/echo persist.

            -Shawn
            http://nomarket.org/