Re: [podcasters] Podcast hosting suggestions?

  • Gregory Narain
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      Jesse,

      I use libsyn for hosting all of the Beercasts and the service is really
      reliable and easy to use. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

      P.S. Latest squad files are online: Vancouver Beercasting Squad (Mar 30,
      2005) <http://beercasting.com/shows/vac-squad>

      Best,
      Greg

      ==
      Beercasting.com - Podcasting With A Buzz
      http://beercasting.com

      thesoundofyoungamerica wrote:

      >So... as my podcast has grown, I've really been stretching the
      >bandwidth limits of my web server, where I host the files. This
      >month, I hit 96% of my bandwidth.
      >
      >So, who has suggestions for inexpensive podcast hosting? This would
      >be storage and likely bandwidth intensive. Right now I'm pushing
      >about five gigs a week of data, and that may well grow.
      >
      >I've heard about libsyn, I wonder if anyone can speak to it... or any
      >other services.
      >
      >Jesse Thorn
      >The Sound of Young America
      >http://www.splangy.com/radio/
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ryan Ozawa
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- John Federico <jaf@n...> wrote:
        > While not specifically servicing podcasters, Dreamhost offers
        > a generous amount of both bandwidth and storage starting at
        > $9.95. I've found them to be reliable and the customer service
        > reasonably responsive. The level of control they offer via their
        > web-based control panel is also pretty impressive.

        I've been with Dreamhost since 1998, and host, oh, twenty or so sites
        with them now. It seems every time I start running out of space, they
        double or triple the plan without changing the price. I'm certainly
        not seeing the levels of traffic some of you probably see, but adding
        my podcast to everything else hasn't triggered any alarms or broken
        the bank.

        They _are_ a quirky, small operation... customer support is all
        e-mail/online ticket based, and they can get overwhelmed and not meet
        their 24-hour promise. I also suspect their monthly newsletters are
        written while under the influence of recreational pharmaseuticals, and
        they do set by default a lot of "flashing twelve" settings (PHP as
        CGI, safemode, etc.).

        But yes, as John noted, you can go in if you know what you're doing
        and switch everything to run the way you want it to (and yet MySQL
        setup is a snap, even though I really don't know what I'm doing), and
        they've definitely got a sense of humor, even when you, or they, break
        something.

        --
        Ryan
        HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
          We will be happy to help you host some files... email me!