Re: [podcasters] The new itunes is almost unusable if you listen to podcasts

  • Kenn Crawford
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
      *"If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been set in
      stone since 2005..."*

      Could you please elaborate what these naming conventions are for people new
      to podcasting? Thanks.

      Kenn Crawford
      Author, Founder of PodioRookie.com

      <http://podiorookie.com>

      <http://kenncrawford.blogspot.ca>

      On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > You have been unable to search for podcast via keywords for close to a
      > year. If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been
      > set in stone since 2005 then you would not have to worry about search by
      > date. If sites are podcast ready all you need to do is click on the RSS
      > feed and at least on iOS devices the show can be subscribed to directly
      > on the phone.
      >
      > On 3/9/2013 12:25 PM, catlady2112 wrote:
      > >
      > > I went to the apple store three different times to show them how bad
      > > the upgrade is for podcast listeners, and talked to about a dozen
      > > people who admitted they don't listen to podcasts and couldn't help
      > > me. (!)
      > >
      > > In the new desktop itunes I can no longer 1) do a keyword search and
      > > then pull up individual podcast episodes on one list view page 2)
      > > search by date 3) sort by ratings 4) read descriptions (of multiple
      > > episodes on a page). In the past you would only have to deal with one
      > > page of search results and with one click, you could immediately
      > > download the ones you want.
      > >
      > > Now you can't do that, in fact you cannot even get a list view. Now
      > > you have to weave back and forth through several screens which does
      > > not even tell you where the podcast episode is among the other
      > > episodes. You can't even do a "find" search on the text since itunes
      > > text is not searchable on a screen.
      > >
      > > Over the years, the best features of itunes podcasts are being removed
      > > (auto-delete has been problematic too).
      > >
      > > I wish there was an alternative podcast database. I've been listening
      > > to podcasts since they were first created and itunes has gotten worse
      > > and worse over the years. It's as if they don't want podcast
      > > listeners. I wish there was a comparable/competitive database.
      > >

      > --
      > Todd Cochrane
      > Executive Producer
      > Geek News Central
      > @geeknews
      > 808-741-4923

    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
        http://www.podcastfaq.com/creating-podcast/file-naming-urls-and-post-titles/

        On 3/14/2013 9:40 AM, Kenn Crawford wrote:
        > *"If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been set in
        > stone since 2005..."*
        >
        > Could you please elaborate what these naming conventions are for people new
        > to podcasting? Thanks.
        >

        > Kenn Crawford
        > Author, Founder of PodioRookie.com
        >
        > <http://podiorookie.com>
        >
        > <http://kenncrawford.blogspot.ca>
        >

        > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> You have been unable to search for podcast via keywords for close to a
        >> year. If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been
        >> set in stone since 2005 then you would not have to worry about search by
        >> date. If sites are podcast ready all you need to do is click on the RSS
        >> feed and at least on iOS devices the show can be subscribed to directly
        >> on the phone.
        >>
        >> On 3/9/2013 12:25 PM, catlady2112 wrote:
        >>> I went to the apple store three different times to show them how bad
        >>> the upgrade is for podcast listeners, and talked to about a dozen
        >>> people who admitted they don't listen to podcasts and couldn't help
        >>> me. (!)
        >>>
        >>> In the new desktop itunes I can no longer 1) do a keyword search and
        >>> then pull up individual podcast episodes on one list view page 2)
        >>> search by date 3) sort by ratings 4) read descriptions (of multiple
        >>> episodes on a page). In the past you would only have to deal with one
        >>> page of search results and with one click, you could immediately
        >>> download the ones you want.
        >>>
        >>> Now you can't do that, in fact you cannot even get a list view. Now
        >>> you have to weave back and forth through several screens which does
        >>> not even tell you where the podcast episode is among the other
        >>> episodes. You can't even do a "find" search on the text since itunes
        >>> text is not searchable on a screen.
        >>>
        >>> Over the years, the best features of itunes podcasts are being removed
        >>> (auto-delete has been problematic too).
        >>>
        >>> I wish there was an alternative podcast database. I've been listening
        >>> to podcasts since they were first created and itunes has gotten worse
        >>> and worse over the years. It's as if they don't want podcast
        >>> listeners. I wish there was a comparable/competitive database.
        >>>

        >> --
        >> Todd Cochrane
        >> Executive Producer
        >> Geek News Central