Re: [podcasters] The new itunes is almost unusable if you listen to podcasts

  • C. Hatton Humphrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2013
      Where's the like button?

      Seriously, though, if the new version of iTunes is as bad as described, my
      aversion to all iThingies is now even more justified than before.

      However, you have what you have for hardware... if it's an
      iPhone/Pod/Pad/??? there are some alternatives out there...
      Downcast https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id393858566?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4seems
      to get a lot of good reviews

      I love the comment about Apple's podcast player here:
      http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/podcast-apps
      "Podcasts is probably the least functional or stable app released by Apple,
      so much so that one wonders why it wasn�t held back for further polishing�
      even if that meant it would be released with iOS 6. The interface is
      attractive, if a bit over-designed in places�the �top stations� section is
      extremely slow to scroll through and the playback interface that resembles
      an old school tape deck is unnecessary."

      Please note, as I mentioned above, I have a an aversion to Apple
      products... to the point that when my 10 year old suggested (jokingly) that
      she wanted an iPhone she got the, "no daughter of mine" line. Hell, when
      she gets old enough I may rule out a potential boyfriend if *he* dares
      bring an Apple device in my presence! I cannot endorse any of the links
      provided, only share what a quick search turned up.

      Until Later!
      C. Hatton Humphrey
      http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

      Every cloud does have a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to do some
      smelting to find it.

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

      > Here's what you do:
      >
      > Take your podcasts, run them through this tool:
      >
      > http://picklemonkey.net/feedflipper-home/
      >
      > That will give you the URL of the RSS feed.
      >
      > Then you can load the RSS feed into a real podcatcher.

    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 13, 2013
        You have been unable to search for podcast via keywords for close to a
        year. If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been
        set in stone since 2005 then you would not have to worry about search by
        date. If sites are podcast ready all you need to do is click on the RSS
        feed and at least on iOS devices the show can be subscribed to directly
        on the phone.

        --
        Todd Cochrane
        Executive Producer

      • Kenn Crawford
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
          *"If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been set in
          stone since 2005..."*

          Could you please elaborate what these naming conventions are for people new
          to podcasting? Thanks.

          Kenn Crawford
          Author, Founder of PodioRookie.com

          <http://podiorookie.com>

          <http://kenncrawford.blogspot.ca>

          On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > You have been unable to search for podcast via keywords for close to a
          > year. If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been
          > set in stone since 2005 then you would not have to worry about search by
          > date. If sites are podcast ready all you need to do is click on the RSS
          > feed and at least on iOS devices the show can be subscribed to directly
          > on the phone.
          >
          > On 3/9/2013 12:25 PM, catlady2112 wrote:
          > >
          > > I went to the apple store three different times to show them how bad
          > > the upgrade is for podcast listeners, and talked to about a dozen
          > > people who admitted they don't listen to podcasts and couldn't help
          > > me. (!)
          > >
          > > In the new desktop itunes I can no longer 1) do a keyword search and
          > > then pull up individual podcast episodes on one list view page 2)
          > > search by date 3) sort by ratings 4) read descriptions (of multiple
          > > episodes on a page). In the past you would only have to deal with one
          > > page of search results and with one click, you could immediately
          > > download the ones you want.
          > >
          > > Now you can't do that, in fact you cannot even get a list view. Now
          > > you have to weave back and forth through several screens which does
          > > not even tell you where the podcast episode is among the other
          > > episodes. You can't even do a "find" search on the text since itunes
          > > text is not searchable on a screen.
          > >
          > > Over the years, the best features of itunes podcasts are being removed
          > > (auto-delete has been problematic too).
          > >
          > > I wish there was an alternative podcast database. I've been listening
          > > to podcasts since they were first created and itunes has gotten worse
          > > and worse over the years. It's as if they don't want podcast
          > > listeners. I wish there was a comparable/competitive database.
          > >

          > --
          > Todd Cochrane
          > Executive Producer
          > Geek News Central
          > @geeknews
          > 808-741-4923

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
            http://www.podcastfaq.com/creating-podcast/file-naming-urls-and-post-titles/

            On 3/14/2013 9:40 AM, Kenn Crawford wrote:
            > *"If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been set in
            > stone since 2005..."*
            >
            > Could you please elaborate what these naming conventions are for people new
            > to podcasting? Thanks.
            >

            > Kenn Crawford
            > Author, Founder of PodioRookie.com
            >
            > <http://podiorookie.com>
            >
            > <http://kenncrawford.blogspot.ca>
            >

            > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> You have been unable to search for podcast via keywords for close to a
            >> year. If podcasters follow recommended naming conventions that have been
            >> set in stone since 2005 then you would not have to worry about search by
            >> date. If sites are podcast ready all you need to do is click on the RSS
            >> feed and at least on iOS devices the show can be subscribed to directly
            >> on the phone.
            >>
            >> On 3/9/2013 12:25 PM, catlady2112 wrote:
            >>> I went to the apple store three different times to show them how bad
            >>> the upgrade is for podcast listeners, and talked to about a dozen
            >>> people who admitted they don't listen to podcasts and couldn't help
            >>> me. (!)
            >>>
            >>> In the new desktop itunes I can no longer 1) do a keyword search and
            >>> then pull up individual podcast episodes on one list view page 2)
            >>> search by date 3) sort by ratings 4) read descriptions (of multiple
            >>> episodes on a page). In the past you would only have to deal with one
            >>> page of search results and with one click, you could immediately
            >>> download the ones you want.
            >>>
            >>> Now you can't do that, in fact you cannot even get a list view. Now
            >>> you have to weave back and forth through several screens which does
            >>> not even tell you where the podcast episode is among the other
            >>> episodes. You can't even do a "find" search on the text since itunes
            >>> text is not searchable on a screen.
            >>>
            >>> Over the years, the best features of itunes podcasts are being removed
            >>> (auto-delete has been problematic too).
            >>>
            >>> I wish there was an alternative podcast database. I've been listening
            >>> to podcasts since they were first created and itunes has gotten worse
            >>> and worse over the years. It's as if they don't want podcast
            >>> listeners. I wish there was a comparable/competitive database.
            >>>

            >> --
            >> Todd Cochrane
            >> Executive Producer
            >> Geek News Central