Re: [podcasters] Recording Phone Interviews

  • Michael Butler
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
      Doug Kaye, the podcast pioneer gave a great diagram on this.

      http://www.blogarithms.com/index.php/archives/2005/07/14/interviews-via-skype/

      It's what I do and it works great for me.

      Michael

      The Rock and Roll Geek Network

      This is the real school of Rock!
      Interviews, Music and Talk From a
      Rock and Roll Geek

      http://www.rockandrollgeek.com
      Subscribe-
      http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=73331036
      Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/rnrgeek
      Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/rnrgeek
      Myspace- http://www.myspace.com/rockandrollgeek

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
        Thanks for the advice everyone!

        On February 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:

        > audacity is free and works great
        > you can edit it afterwords as well
        > I personally just record off my sam broadcaster
        >
        > ________________________________

        Chris Lanuti
        The Broadcast Basement
        www.broadcastbasement.com
        @ChrisLanuti
        @BroadcastBasemt

      • BH
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 22, 2013
          I will chime in quick on this topic as I am very satisfied with how my system is set up.

          I bought a simple cable online that has 3 RCA plugs on one end and I purchased adapters from RCA to 1/2 stereo jacks. This was all less than $15-20 online. The other end of the cable has a mini plug on it that connects to my iPhone. I run that through my board and do phone interviews that way. It is way cheaper than a phone interface and the call quality is great. You also don't have to deal with lagging in the internet connection that can come from Google +, Skype or anything else.

          The key though is to make sure your mixer has Aux send capabilities. Not all do. You don't have to have an expensive mixer to have those as my Alto Professional ZMX862 has it and was under $85 new, but you have to have that.

          As with anything, I am not the first to use this method so here is a link to a great tutorial on how to set it up thanks to Cliff Ravenscraft.

          http://podcastanswerman.com/iphone/

          Brian Herbert
          The Indy Autographs Podcast
          The Hoosier State Sports Show

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the advice everyone!
          >
          > On February 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:
          >

          > > audacity is free and works great
          > > you can edit it afterwords as well
          > > I personally just record off my sam broadcaster
          > >
          > > ________________________________

        • David Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
            I have used Callburner with great success, though it's been a long while
            since my last interview. N.B., I found out about it from a podcast from
            Doug Kaye of The Conversations Network, a much more authoritative source
            than my humble self.

            It was 19 Feb 2013, when thebroadcastbasement commented:

            --

            Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
            Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
              > thebroadcastbasement <chris@...> wrote:
              >
              > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
              > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
              >
              > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
              > interviews?
              >
              > Thank you!

              I've had good luck using Pamela (http://www.pamela.biz/en/) for the
              past year or so. I paid about $20 for the version I use.

              Good luck,

              Kevin

              -----

              My podcasts...

              Tuning In To Scifi TV (covering all genre TV shows)
              http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

              Saturday B Movie Reel (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
              http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com

              Debriefing DragonCon (tips, tricks & info to help con attendees)
              http://www.debriefingdragoncon.com