Re: [podcasters] Recording Phone Interviews

  • Tony Marino
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19 3:38 PM
      Use Google+ hangouts! Skype is OLD technology. Run your Google+ Hangout
      through
      a mixer's aux send/receive channels and feed to back to your PC for
      recording capture.

      On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM, thebroadcastbasement <
      chris@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > My podcast - which can be found at BroadcastBasement.com - had been using
      > HotRecorder with Skype to do phone interviews. HotRecorder has proven
      > unreliable after several interviews were lost due to bad audio quality on
      > the recorded file. (Everything sounded great in the call, but was terrible
      > in the recording.)
      >
      > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
      > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
      >
      > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
      > interviews?
      >
      > Thank you!

    • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19 4:05 PM
        audacity is free and works great
        you can edit it afterwords as well
        I personally just record off my sam broadcaster

        ________________________________

        chris@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > My podcast - which can be found at BroadcastBasement.com - had been using
        > HotRecorder with Skype to do phone interviews. HotRecorder has proven
        > unreliable after several interviews were lost due to bad audio quality on
        > the recorded file. (Everything sounded great in the call, but was terrible
        > in the recording.)
        >
        > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
        > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
        > interviews?
        >
        > Thank you!

      • Michael Butler
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19 5:17 PM
          Doug Kaye, the podcast pioneer gave a great diagram on this.

          http://www.blogarithms.com/index.php/archives/2005/07/14/interviews-via-skype/

          It's what I do and it works great for me.

          Michael

          The Rock and Roll Geek Network

          This is the real school of Rock!
          Interviews, Music and Talk From a
          Rock and Roll Geek

          http://www.rockandrollgeek.com
          Subscribe-
          http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=73331036
          Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/rnrgeek
          Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/rnrgeek
          Myspace- http://www.myspace.com/rockandrollgeek

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21 11:17 AM
            Thanks for the advice everyone!

            On February 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:

            > audacity is free and works great
            > you can edit it afterwords as well
            > I personally just record off my sam broadcaster
            >
            > ________________________________

            Chris Lanuti
            The Broadcast Basement
            www.broadcastbasement.com
            @ChrisLanuti
            @BroadcastBasemt

          • BH
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 22 12:41 PM
              I will chime in quick on this topic as I am very satisfied with how my system is set up.

              I bought a simple cable online that has 3 RCA plugs on one end and I purchased adapters from RCA to 1/2 stereo jacks. This was all less than $15-20 online. The other end of the cable has a mini plug on it that connects to my iPhone. I run that through my board and do phone interviews that way. It is way cheaper than a phone interface and the call quality is great. You also don't have to deal with lagging in the internet connection that can come from Google +, Skype or anything else.

              The key though is to make sure your mixer has Aux send capabilities. Not all do. You don't have to have an expensive mixer to have those as my Alto Professional ZMX862 has it and was under $85 new, but you have to have that.

              As with anything, I am not the first to use this method so here is a link to a great tutorial on how to set it up thanks to Cliff Ravenscraft.

              http://podcastanswerman.com/iphone/

              Brian Herbert
              The Indy Autographs Podcast
              The Hoosier State Sports Show

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the advice everyone!
              >
              > On February 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:
              >

              > > audacity is free and works great
              > > you can edit it afterwords as well
              > > I personally just record off my sam broadcaster
              > >
              > > ________________________________

            • David Smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
                I have used Callburner with great success, though it's been a long while
                since my last interview. N.B., I found out about it from a podcast from
                Doug Kaye of The Conversations Network, a much more authoritative source
                than my humble self.

                It was 19 Feb 2013, when thebroadcastbasement commented:

                --

                Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
                  > thebroadcastbasement <chris@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
                  > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
                  > interviews?
                  >
                  > Thank you!

                  I've had good luck using Pamela (http://www.pamela.biz/en/) for the
                  past year or so. I paid about $20 for the version I use.

                  Good luck,

                  Kevin

                  -----

                  My podcasts...

                  Tuning In To Scifi TV (covering all genre TV shows)
                  http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

                  Saturday B Movie Reel (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
                  http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com

                  Debriefing DragonCon (tips, tricks & info to help con attendees)
                  http://www.debriefingdragoncon.com