Recording Phone Interviews

  • thebroadcastbasement
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
      My podcast - which can be found at BroadcastBasement.com - had been using HotRecorder with Skype to do phone interviews. HotRecorder has proven unreliable after several interviews were lost due to bad audio quality on the recorded file. (Everything sounded great in the call, but was terrible in the recording.)

      I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.

      Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone interviews?

      Thank you!
    • Tony Marino
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
        Use Google+ hangouts! Skype is OLD technology. Run your Google+ Hangout
        through
        a mixer's aux send/receive channels and feed to back to your PC for
        recording capture.

        On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM, thebroadcastbasement <
        chris@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > My podcast - which can be found at BroadcastBasement.com - had been using
        > HotRecorder with Skype to do phone interviews. HotRecorder has proven
        > unreliable after several interviews were lost due to bad audio quality on
        > the recorded file. (Everything sounded great in the call, but was terrible
        > in the recording.)
        >
        > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
        > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
        > interviews?
        >
        > Thank you!

      • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
          audacity is free and works great
          you can edit it afterwords as well
          I personally just record off my sam broadcaster

          ________________________________

          chris@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > My podcast - which can be found at BroadcastBasement.com - had been using
          > HotRecorder with Skype to do phone interviews. HotRecorder has proven
          > unreliable after several interviews were lost due to bad audio quality on
          > the recorded file. (Everything sounded great in the call, but was terrible
          > in the recording.)
          >
          > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
          > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
          > interviews?
          >
          > Thank you!

        • Michael Butler
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
            Doug Kaye, the podcast pioneer gave a great diagram on this.

            http://www.blogarithms.com/index.php/archives/2005/07/14/interviews-via-skype/

            It's what I do and it works great for me.

            Michael

            The Rock and Roll Geek Network

            This is the real school of Rock!
            Interviews, Music and Talk From a
            Rock and Roll Geek

            http://www.rockandrollgeek.com
            Subscribe-
            http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=73331036
            Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/rnrgeek
            Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/rnrgeek
            Myspace- http://www.myspace.com/rockandrollgeek

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
              Thanks for the advice everyone!

              On February 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:

              > audacity is free and works great
              > you can edit it afterwords as well
              > I personally just record off my sam broadcaster
              >
              > ________________________________

              Chris Lanuti
              The Broadcast Basement
              www.broadcastbasement.com
              @ChrisLanuti
              @BroadcastBasemt

            • BH
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2013
                I will chime in quick on this topic as I am very satisfied with how my system is set up.

                I bought a simple cable online that has 3 RCA plugs on one end and I purchased adapters from RCA to 1/2 stereo jacks. This was all less than $15-20 online. The other end of the cable has a mini plug on it that connects to my iPhone. I run that through my board and do phone interviews that way. It is way cheaper than a phone interface and the call quality is great. You also don't have to deal with lagging in the internet connection that can come from Google +, Skype or anything else.

                The key though is to make sure your mixer has Aux send capabilities. Not all do. You don't have to have an expensive mixer to have those as my Alto Professional ZMX862 has it and was under $85 new, but you have to have that.

                As with anything, I am not the first to use this method so here is a link to a great tutorial on how to set it up thanks to Cliff Ravenscraft.

                http://podcastanswerman.com/iphone/

                Brian Herbert
                The Indy Autographs Podcast
                The Hoosier State Sports Show

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Chris <chris@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the advice everyone!
                >
                > On February 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:
                >

                > > audacity is free and works great
                > > you can edit it afterwords as well
                > > I personally just record off my sam broadcaster
                > >
                > > ________________________________

              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
                  I have used Callburner with great success, though it's been a long while
                  since my last interview. N.B., I found out about it from a podcast from
                  Doug Kaye of The Conversations Network, a much more authoritative source
                  than my humble self.

                  It was 19 Feb 2013, when thebroadcastbasement commented:

                  --

                  Grizzly's Growls Podcasts: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                  Blog: <http://blog.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
                    > thebroadcastbasement <chris@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I'm looking for something that will record Skype calls while I use a USB
                    > headset on my computer. I prefer a recorded file in stereo.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for me to record phone
                    > interviews?
                    >
                    > Thank you!

                    I've had good luck using Pamela (http://www.pamela.biz/en/) for the
                    past year or so. I paid about $20 for the version I use.

                    Good luck,

                    Kevin

                    -----

                    My podcasts...

                    Tuning In To Scifi TV (covering all genre TV shows)
                    http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

                    Saturday B Movie Reel (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
                    http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com

                    Debriefing DragonCon (tips, tricks & info to help con attendees)
                    http://www.debriefingdragoncon.com