Cross-posted from Facebook

  • C. Hatton Humphrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2013
      I put this on the Podcasters group on Facebook but wanted to ask it:

      While I've been doing my podcast for years, I've recently started adding
      video clips here and there. Right now I've done 5 videos that I've put up
      on YouTube but to be honest the organic traffic isn't there. My podcast has
      two different feeds - one from Talkshoe (where I record the weekly content)
      and one from my website (where I post links to the downloads).

      I've thought about taking the audio from the YouTube recordings and
      uploading them as extra episodes on TalkShoe. That would be easy to do but
      I don't know if that's the right way to promote the fact that I've got
      videos on YouTube.

      Is anyone else doing this? If so, how do you handle the media split? Most
      folks that are grabbing an RSS for a podcast aren't going to look for video
      content as well, right?

      Until Later!
      C. Hatton Humphrey
      http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

      Every cloud does have a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to do some
      smelting to find it.

    • Kenn Crawford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2013
        Grabbing the media from the video is easy. I use keepvid.com
        Load your youtube video, right click and select copy video url
        Go to the keepvid site and paste that in the box. It will search for and
        grab the video. From there you can save it to your hard drive in a variety
        of formats, the last one listed is for MP3. Click that and follow the steps.

        If the video is a talking head shot then the audio should work fine as an
        extra episode in your show. If however you are showing people something
        that requires them to actually "see" what you are talking about, your
        audio-only listeners will not be able to see it and will feel left out. So
        the content of your video is crucial when it comes to using the audio from
        videos.

        Have you promoted your videos on your show and on your website by embedding
        the video? If the traffic is not to your satisfaction on the videos, first
        drive traffic TO the videos... as more people watch it and click like,
        other people will be more inclined to watch it because it has x number of
        views. They will in turn seek out your podcast.

        When I listen to a show I like I search for other things they are doing,
        such as videos because YouTube is the #2 search engine in the world. If it
        were me, I would be more concerned with driving traffic to the videos to
        build a wider audience there than using the audio from the video to make
        extra audio content. Some people may not know you have videos and won't
        even think of looking. You could use a "clip" of audio from the video on a
        show and then tell people they can watch and hear the entire thing for free
        on your youtube channel by clicking www._______.com/youtube where the
        "youtube" part is a redirect page to your youtube channel.

        My 2 cents,

        --
        Kenn Crawford
        Creator and Host of PodioRookie