Re: [podcasters] Podcast hosting suggestions?

  • John Federico
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 8:22 AM
      While not specifically servicing podcasters, Dreamhost offers a generous
      amount of both bandwidth and storage starting at $9.95.

      I've found them to be reliable and the customer service reasonably
      responsive. The level of control they offer via their web-based control
      panel is also pretty impressive.

      YMMV. HTH. RTFM. Etc and so forth.

      Regards,

      -jf.

      --
      John Federico
      888-696-1768

      http://johnfederico.newrules.com

      http://johnfederico.brandbrains.net

      On 4/1/05 11:07 AM, "thesoundofyoungamerica"
      <thesoundofyoungamerica@...> wrote:

      > So... as my podcast has grown, I've really been stretching the
      > bandwidth limits of my web server, where I host the files. This
      > month, I hit 96% of my bandwidth.
      >
      > So, who has suggestions for inexpensive podcast hosting? This would
      > be storage and likely bandwidth intensive. Right now I'm pushing
      > about five gigs a week of data, and that may well grow.
      >
      > I've heard about libsyn, I wonder if anyone can speak to it... or any
      > other services.
      >
      > Jesse Thorn
      > The Sound of Young America
      > http://www.splangy.com/radio/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Geek News
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 8:39 AM
        Terrific solution can vouch that they are good to go..

      • Gregory Narain
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1 8:40 AM
          Jesse,

          I use libsyn for hosting all of the Beercasts and the service is really
          reliable and easy to use. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

          P.S. Latest squad files are online: Vancouver Beercasting Squad (Mar 30,
          2005) <http://beercasting.com/shows/vac-squad>

          Best,
          Greg

          ==
          Beercasting.com - Podcasting With A Buzz
          http://beercasting.com

          thesoundofyoungamerica wrote:

          >So... as my podcast has grown, I've really been stretching the
          >bandwidth limits of my web server, where I host the files. This
          >month, I hit 96% of my bandwidth.
          >
          >So, who has suggestions for inexpensive podcast hosting? This would
          >be storage and likely bandwidth intensive. Right now I'm pushing
          >about five gigs a week of data, and that may well grow.
          >
          >I've heard about libsyn, I wonder if anyone can speak to it... or any
          >other services.
          >
          >Jesse Thorn
          >The Sound of Young America
          >http://www.splangy.com/radio/
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ryan Ozawa
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1 9:14 AM
            --- John Federico <jaf@n...> wrote:
            > While not specifically servicing podcasters, Dreamhost offers
            > a generous amount of both bandwidth and storage starting at
            > $9.95. I've found them to be reliable and the customer service
            > reasonably responsive. The level of control they offer via their
            > web-based control panel is also pretty impressive.

            I've been with Dreamhost since 1998, and host, oh, twenty or so sites
            with them now. It seems every time I start running out of space, they
            double or triple the plan without changing the price. I'm certainly
            not seeing the levels of traffic some of you probably see, but adding
            my podcast to everything else hasn't triggered any alarms or broken
            the bank.

            They _are_ a quirky, small operation... customer support is all
            e-mail/online ticket based, and they can get overwhelmed and not meet
            their 24-hour promise. I also suspect their monthly newsletters are
            written while under the influence of recreational pharmaseuticals, and
            they do set by default a lot of "flashing twelve" settings (PHP as
            CGI, safemode, etc.).

            But yes, as John noted, you can go in if you know what you're doing
            and switch everything to run the way you want it to (and yet MySQL
            setup is a snap, even though I really don't know what I'm doing), and
            they've definitely got a sense of humor, even when you, or they, break
            something.

            --
            Ryan
            HawaiiUP - Podcasting in paradise.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1 12:04 PM
              We will be happy to help you host some files... email me!