Re: [podcasters] Custom Campaign Parameters for Podcast Episode Downloads?

  • Michael Sitarzewski
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2012
      Todd, it's a Bluburry question! :)

      On Dec 18, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

      > Howdy all,
      >
      > I'd like to add custom parameters to my MP3 file URLs so I can track from
      > where they are being downloaded. Something along the lines of
      > Google'scustom campaign
      > parameters<http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1033863>.
      > Anyone know if this is possible in libsyn or bluburry?
      >
      > I'm currently using libsyn and can't find anything in their reporting that
      > indicates they support reporting by custom campaign paramters. I don't have
      > any experience with bluburry stats so don't know about them.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Calvin

    • angelomandato
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 19, 2012
        Unfortunately, you can't inject Google Analytics or the methods they document into media. In particular, it presents a problem adding a query string to the media URL.

        If the goal is to have the same media URL be reported separately in some instances, then we do have that capability with Blubrry/RawVoice statistics, we've only used it for enterprise clients up to this point, but shoot me an email with more details and and we may be able to help you out.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...> wrote:

        > Todd, it's a Bluburry question! :)
        >
        > On Dec 18, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Howdy all,
        > >
        > > I'd like to add custom parameters to my MP3 file URLs so I can track from
        > > where they are being downloaded. Something along the lines of
        > > Google'scustom campaign
        > > parameters<http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1033863>.
        > > Anyone know if this is possible in libsyn or bluburry?
        > >
        > > I'm currently using libsyn and can't find anything in their reporting that
        > > indicates they support reporting by custom campaign paramters. I don't have
        > > any experience with bluburry stats so don't know about them.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Calvin

      • Michael Sitarzewski
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2012
          We see this kind of thing frequently on http://play.callisto.fm - lots of redirects with query strings.

          IIRC, CNET has them, as do a few other prominent podcasts.

          That said, we did have to write code to handle them properly.

          On Dec 19, 2012, at 8:04 AM, angelomandato <cio@...> wrote:

          > Unfortunately, you can't inject Google Analytics or the methods they document into media. In particular, it presents a problem adding a query string to the media URL.
          >
          > If the goal is to have the same media URL be reported separately in some instances, then we do have that capability with Blubrry/RawVoice statistics, we've only used it for enterprise clients up to this point, but shoot me an email with more details and and we may be able to help you out.
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Todd, it's a Bluburry question! :)
          > >
          > > On Dec 18, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Howdy all,
          > > >
          > > > I'd like to add custom parameters to my MP3 file URLs so I can track from
          > > > where they are being downloaded. Something along the lines of
          > > > Google'scustom campaign
          > > > parameters<http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1033863>.
          > > > Anyone know if this is possible in libsyn or bluburry?
          > > >
          > > > I'm currently using libsyn and can't find anything in their reporting that
          > > > indicates they support reporting by custom campaign paramters. I don't have
          > > > any experience with bluburry stats so don't know about them.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks
          > > > Calvin
          > > >
          > > > --

        • angelomandato
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
            On normal web pages it will work, but do some testing with an iPad, iPod, Android etc... or via RSS feed (Podcast feed) if the URL doesn't end with the file extension it will not download in most cases. The question mark character (for the query string) present problems for other clients as well. Look at the iTunes podcast specification to see how they recommend handling such tracking, then try to figure it out without a question mark for the query for maximum device/software compatibility.

            If you want to track without a query string, but using other identifiers, Blubrry Statistics can do it, as I said before, we have a solution that we've used for enterprise clients in the past, shoot me an email with details and we can see if it'll work for you.

            --angelo

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@...> wrote:

            > We see this kind of thing frequently on http://play.callisto.fm - lots of redirects with query strings.
            >
            > IIRC, CNET has them, as do a few other prominent podcasts.
            >
            > That said, we did have to write code to handle them properly.
            >

            > On Dec 19, 2012, at 8:04 AM, angelomandato <cio@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Unfortunately, you can't inject Google Analytics or the methods they document into media. In particular, it presents a problem adding a query string to the media URL.
            > >
            > > If the goal is to have the same media URL be reported separately in some instances, then we do have that capability with Blubrry/RawVoice statistics, we've only used it for enterprise clients up to this point, but shoot me an email with more details and and we may be able to help you out.
            > >
            > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sitarzewski <msitarzewski@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Todd, it's a Bluburry question! :)

          • Donald
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
              Calvin,

              You could put up an intermediate landing page that simply redirects to the MP3's URL. The intermediate landing page could do the job of tracking parameters appended to the referring URLS either with Google Analytics or with your own code.

              The people downloading won't know that they've been routed through an intermediate page.

              Good luck.

              Don