Leveling Voices With Levelator, Call Recorder, And Garageband.

  • docholliday2006
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2012
      I just put out my first episode of my new podcast.

      One problem I'm having is voice level inconsistencies throughout the podcast.

      My audio sources are

      1) Me recording my voice in garageband and speaking into my mac book microphone
      2) Skype conversations recorded with Call Recorder and then imported into garage band.

      Throughout the podcast the volume of the voices can vary dramatically. Even my own voice recorded into garageband can vary a lot.

      I've heard of levelator, but the it only accepts wav and aac files.

      My only inputs from call recorder are .mov files, and after I've created my finished podcast it is exported as an MP3, so I can't put it through with that either.

      So how do I use levelator to level out the different speech volumes with what I've got?

      What would you do in my situation?

      Thanks.
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2012
        Doc, check this out:

        http://www.supermp3normalizer.com/

        I haven't used it, so you're on your own. It sounds good, but who knows....

        ---Dan

        On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM, docholliday2006 <DocHolliday2006@...

        --
        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://treasuremanual.com
        http://slowpitchbook.com
        http://danhughesautographs.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2012
          When you're ready to export your podcast, In Garageband, select the "Share" menu, then:
          Export Song to Disk >> Uncheck the "compress" box >> Click the "Export" button >> Save the file to disk wherever you'd like, this will create an AIFF file (the OS X equivalent of a WAV file) >> Drag that AIFF file into Levelator >> Export from Levelator >> Convert the exported file to mp3 if necessary.

          Another good idea is to make sure that, within Garageband preferences, you've ticked the "Auto Normalize" checkbox in the Advanced tab.

          -Shawn Thorpe
          http://shawn.mx/
          http://geminidragon.tv/

          On Aug 8, 2012, at 2:50 PM, docholliday2006 wrote:

          > I just put out my first episode of my new podcast.
          >
          > One problem I'm having is voice level inconsistencies throughout the podcast.
          >
          > My audio sources are
          >
          > 1) Me recording my voice in garageband and speaking into my mac book microphone
          > 2) Skype conversations recorded with Call Recorder and then imported into garage band.
          >
          > Throughout the podcast the volume of the voices can vary dramatically. Even my own voice recorded into garageband can vary a lot.
          >
          > I've heard of levelator, but the it only accepts wav and aac files.
          >
          > My only inputs from call recorder are .mov files, and after I've created my finished podcast it is exported as an MP3, so I can't put it through with that either.
          >
          > So how do I use levelator to level out the different speech volumes with what I've got?
          >
          > What would you do in my situation?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • David Jackson
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2012
            Doc,

            As the old saying goes, "Garbage in - Garbage out." Using a laptop built in
            microphone makes your "Raw" information hard to polish. I would invest in
            an Audio Technica 2100 <http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/2100> (affiliate
            link). It's $49 and it sounds amazing. It's also USB and XLR (so you can
            grow with it if you ever decide you want a mixer).

            As for levelaltor, its super easy but I tell people to keep in mind it
            works best on files that have subtle differences. If there are massive
            differences it will still work, but you will sound like you're at the
            ocean.

            So try to get your original file in the best shape you can. In regards to
            converting mov files to something you can use with levelator on a Mac I'm
            not going to be much help (I'm - unfortuantely - a PC guy).

            Dave Jackson
[...]

            www.davidjackson.org

          • docholliday2006
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2012
              Thanks.

              Question on the last part about converting back to Mp3.

              Would I import the file back into garage band? Use something else?

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:

              > When you're ready to export your podcast, In Garageband, select the "Share" menu, then:
              > Export Song to Disk >> Uncheck the "compress" box >> Click the "Export" button >> Save the file to disk wherever you'd like, this will create an AIFF file (the OS X equivalent of a WAV file) >> Drag that AIFF file into Levelator >> Export from Levelator >> Convert the exported file to mp3 if necessary.
              >
              > Another good idea is to make sure that, within Garageband preferences, you've ticked the "Auto Normalize" checkbox in the Advanced tab.
              >
              > -Shawn Thorpe
              > http://shawn.mx/
              > http://geminidragon.tv/
              >
              > On Aug 8, 2012, at 2:50 PM, docholliday2006 wrote:
              >
              > > I just put out my first episode of my new podcast.
              > >
              > > One problem I'm having is voice level inconsistencies throughout the podcast.
              > >
              > > My audio sources are
              > >
              > > 1) Me recording my voice in garageband and speaking into my mac book microphone
              > > 2) Skype conversations recorded with Call Recorder and then imported into garage band.
              > >
              > > Throughout the podcast the volume of the voices can vary dramatically. Even my own voice recorded into garageband can vary a lot.
              > >
              > > I've heard of levelator, but the it only accepts wav and aac files.
              > >
              > > My only inputs from call recorder are .mov files, and after I've created my finished podcast it is exported as an MP3, so I can't put it through with that either.
              > >
              > > So how do I use levelator to level out the different speech volumes with what I've got?
              > >
              > > What would you do in my situation?
              > >
              > > Thanks.

            • Shawn Thorpe
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2012
                You could do that but you could save some time by importing into iTunes instead and converting it there. If you bring the file back into Garageband, you'll have to go thru the whole mixdown process again, which isn't really necessary.

                Also, it's generally *not* recommended to levelate files that contain a lot of music. So, if your finished podcast does have a lot of music, then you'd be better off exporting just the voice parts first, levelating them, then dragging the levelated voice part back into Garageband and mixing it down with the music tracks from there.

                -Shawn Thorpe
                http://shawn.mx/
                http://geminidragon.tv/

                On Aug 9, 2012, at 7:43 AM, docholliday2006 wrote:

                > Thanks.
                >
                > Question on the last part about converting back to Mp3.
                >
                > Would I import the file back into garage band? Use something else?
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Thorpe <shawn@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > When you're ready to export your podcast, In Garageband, select the "Share" menu, then:
                > > Export Song to Disk >> Uncheck the "compress" box >> Click the "Export" button >> Save the file to disk wherever you'd like, this will create an AIFF file (the OS X equivalent of a WAV file) >> Drag that AIFF file into Levelator >> Export from Levelator >> Convert the exported file to mp3 if necessary.
                > >
                > > Another good idea is to make sure that, within Garageband preferences, you've ticked the "Auto Normalize" checkbox in the Advanced tab.
                > >
                > > -Shawn Thorpe
                > > http://shawn.mx/
                > > http://geminidragon.tv/
                > >
                > > On Aug 8, 2012, at 2:50 PM, docholliday2006 wrote:
                > >
                > > > I just put out my first episode of my new podcast.
                > > >
                > > > One problem I'm having is voice level inconsistencies throughout the podcast.
                > > >
                > > > My audio sources are
                > > >
                > > > 1) Me recording my voice in garageband and speaking into my mac book microphone
                > > > 2) Skype conversations recorded with Call Recorder and then imported into garage band.
                > > >
                > > > Throughout the podcast the volume of the voices can vary dramatically. Even my own voice recorded into garageband can vary a lot.
                > > >
                > > > I've heard of levelator, but the it only accepts wav and aac files.
                > > >
                > > > My only inputs from call recorder are .mov files, and after I've created my finished podcast it is exported as an MP3, so I can't put it through with that either.
                > > >
                > > > So how do I use levelator to level out the different speech volumes with what I've got?
                > > >
                > > > What would you do in my situation?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks.

              • Dan Hughes
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 9, 2012
                  I tried Levelate a few times on a voice-only track, and I got a lot of
                  sonic weirdness. Certainly not broadcast quality.

                  ---Dan

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 9, 2012
                    I'm not a huge fan of it, either. It seems to work well if your audio is *really* clean/consistent. But if there are any background noises or anything, it throws the processing off and you get weird results.

                    -Shawn Thorpe
                    http://shawn.mx/
                    http://geminidragon.tv/