Journalist (was Re: Small mixer)

  • chrismottes@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
      Hi Kenn,

      To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
      not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
      monitoring using WASAPI.

      We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
      Can you mention some examples?

      Best regards, Chris

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris,
      > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
      > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
      > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
      >
      > Kenn
      > --
      > http://podiorookie.com
      > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
      >

      > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
      > > Hi Joe,
      > >
      > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
      > >
      > > Best,
      > > Chris

    • Kenn Crawford
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
        Hi Chris,
        The USB mic themselves do not come with ASIO drivers. Some mics, like
        the Blue Yeti, have a built-in headphone jack and volume control for
        latency-free monitoring (I haven't tested that mic.) Other mics, like
        the Avid Vocal Producer USB, have an headphone jack but no volume
        control because it is controlled by software. As such the latency can be
        bad. That mic I did own and returned. I am currently using the AT2020
        USB mic (no built-in headphone jack.)

        I am using an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface as my monitoring device
        but I am not getting any sound. I can select the AT2020 as the recording
        device and it works great, I just can't hear anything. I can see the
        levels and can listen to it on playback just fine, but I can't monitor
        it while I am recording.

        Both Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine allows me to monitor the AT2020
        through the M-Audio.
        In Audacity there is an option for software play-through but with
        latency that is distracting. It's more tolerable on my old Mac.
        In Kristal Audio Engine there is a section that allows me to select the
        ASIO control panel (I am using ASIO4ALL) and I can monitor the AT2020
        via the M-Audio no problem. The ASIO4ALL install allows me to virtually
        eliminate the latency. But I can't for some reason seem to be able to
        monitor myself using Hindy.

        I played around with the Profiler feature and it was cool - I could of
        used that feature when I was recording an episode with a cold and
        scratchy throat :)

        I would like to see some indicators on the input control - I'd rather
        not approximate where my mic gain was set for different mics. I haven't
        really given Hindy a run for it's money yet because I can't hear myself.
        As a side note, I could always use one of my dynamic mics and directly
        monitor it using the m-audio direct monitor switch and give Hindy a test
        run that way, but I want to be able to record, edit and produce a full
        episode of my podcast using just Hindy and for that I use a USB mic.

        Kenn

        On 6/25/2012 5:01 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
        > Hi Kenn,
        >
        > To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
        > not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
        > monitoring using WASAPI.
        >
        > We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
        > Can you mention some examples?
        >
        > Best regards, Chris
        >
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford<kenn@...> wrote:
        >> Hi Chris,
        >> Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
        >> mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
        >> latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
        >>
        >> Kenn
        >> --
        >> http://podiorookie.com
        >> The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
        >>

        >> On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
        >>> Hi Joe,
        >>>
        >>> Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
        >>>
        >>> Best,
        >>> Chris

      • Chris Mottes
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2012
          Hi Kenn,

          To enable monitoring in Hindenburg, right click the "record arm" button and you should be able to hear yourself through the M-Audio.

          In Hindenburg you do not need to set your mic gain at precisely the same point every time, the Auto Level function will ensure that the average level of each take is the same.

          Best, Chris
        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 28, 2012
            Hi Chris,

            That doesn't work. Not sure why but it's not calling up the ASIO4ALL
            driver like it's supposed or any driver that wil allow me to monitor a
            USB mic. Weird. Probably a computer glitch on my end. Anyway, I'm going
            to switch to a dynamic mic for my next podcast episode and record it
            with Hindenburg way.

            Regards,
            Kenn