Journalist (was Re: Small mixer)

  • markk
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
      Hi Ken,

      I know that you were directing your question to Chris, but I can also answer this. I use ASIO4All V2 drivers and Hindenburg Journalist also. They mesh just fine. I use an MXL 009 USB mic along with Hindenburg.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris,
      > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
      > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
      > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
      >
      > Kenn
      > --
      > http://podiorookie.com
      > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
      >

      > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
      > > Hi Joe,
      > >
      > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
      > >
      > > Best,
      > > Chris

    • Kenn Crawford
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
        Thanks for the speedy reply Mark.
        I have ASIO4ALL v2 installed already so something is not quite right.
        Time to play with it some more and figure it out because the software
        looks really cool.
        Thanks again,
        Kenn
        --

      • chrismottes@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 24, 2012
          Thanks for chiming in Mark :). Kenn, if you are having problems getting it to work with Hindy, you are welcome to write to support@... for help.
          Best, Chris

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 24, 2012
            I do believe it's a driver issue, I noticed the usb port has been acting
            up. I was planning to wipe the drive and do a clean install of windows
            in the near future so why not bump up that schedule, start fresh and
            take Hindy for a run? I will keep you posted.
            Thanks Chris and Mark.

            -Kenn

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
              Hi Kenn,

              To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
              not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
              monitoring using WASAPI.

              We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
              Can you mention some examples?

              Best regards, Chris

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

              > Hi Chris,
              > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
              > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
              > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
              >
              > Kenn
              > --
              > http://podiorookie.com
              > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
              >

              > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
              > > Hi Joe,
              > >
              > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
              > >
              > > Best,
              > > Chris

            • Kenn Crawford
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                Hi Chris,
                The USB mic themselves do not come with ASIO drivers. Some mics, like
                the Blue Yeti, have a built-in headphone jack and volume control for
                latency-free monitoring (I haven't tested that mic.) Other mics, like
                the Avid Vocal Producer USB, have an headphone jack but no volume
                control because it is controlled by software. As such the latency can be
                bad. That mic I did own and returned. I am currently using the AT2020
                USB mic (no built-in headphone jack.)

                I am using an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface as my monitoring device
                but I am not getting any sound. I can select the AT2020 as the recording
                device and it works great, I just can't hear anything. I can see the
                levels and can listen to it on playback just fine, but I can't monitor
                it while I am recording.

                Both Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine allows me to monitor the AT2020
                through the M-Audio.
                In Audacity there is an option for software play-through but with
                latency that is distracting. It's more tolerable on my old Mac.
                In Kristal Audio Engine there is a section that allows me to select the
                ASIO control panel (I am using ASIO4ALL) and I can monitor the AT2020
                via the M-Audio no problem. The ASIO4ALL install allows me to virtually
                eliminate the latency. But I can't for some reason seem to be able to
                monitor myself using Hindy.

                I played around with the Profiler feature and it was cool - I could of
                used that feature when I was recording an episode with a cold and
                scratchy throat :)

                I would like to see some indicators on the input control - I'd rather
                not approximate where my mic gain was set for different mics. I haven't
                really given Hindy a run for it's money yet because I can't hear myself.
                As a side note, I could always use one of my dynamic mics and directly
                monitor it using the m-audio direct monitor switch and give Hindy a test
                run that way, but I want to be able to record, edit and produce a full
                episode of my podcast using just Hindy and for that I use a USB mic.

                Kenn

                On 6/25/2012 5:01 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                > Hi Kenn,
                >
                > To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
                > not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
                > monitoring using WASAPI.
                >
                > We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
                > Can you mention some examples?
                >
                > Best regards, Chris
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford<kenn@...> wrote:
                >> Hi Chris,
                >> Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                >> mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                >> latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
                >>
                >> Kenn
                >> --
                >> http://podiorookie.com
                >> The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
                >>

                >> On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                >>> Hi Joe,
                >>>
                >>> Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                >>>
                >>> Best,
                >>> Chris

              • Chris Mottes
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 26, 2012
                  Hi Kenn,

                  To enable monitoring in Hindenburg, right click the "record arm" button and you should be able to hear yourself through the M-Audio.

                  In Hindenburg you do not need to set your mic gain at precisely the same point every time, the Auto Level function will ensure that the average level of each take is the same.

                  Best, Chris
                • Kenn Crawford
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 28, 2012
                    Hi Chris,

                    That doesn't work. Not sure why but it's not calling up the ASIO4ALL
                    driver like it's supposed or any driver that wil allow me to monitor a
                    USB mic. Weird. Probably a computer glitch on my end. Anyway, I'm going
                    to switch to a dynamic mic for my next podcast episode and record it
                    with Hindenburg way.

                    Regards,
                    Kenn