Re: [podcasters] Re: Looking for "Advanced" Audacity tips

  • Andrew Darlow
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
      Hi Mark:

      I just realize that I skipped one step, that is probably obvious but just in case:

      After I choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz), I delete the channel that's not usable.

      This was my original post:

      Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

      Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

      Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

      I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

      All the best,
      Andrew

      Andrew Darlow
      Editor, The Imaging Buffet
      http://www.imagingbuffet.com
      Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
      An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
      and
      Pet Photography 101:
      Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
      http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

      On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

      > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
      >
      > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey all!
      > >
      > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
      > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
      > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
      > > expert at it by now..
      > >
      > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
      > > with Audacity?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > -MK
      > > --
      > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

    • Patrick McNa...
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
        How about the "Living Stereo" effect? I would split the track then adjust the volume on each spoken section of the track to make it seem as if people were talking from different parts of the room. I used it all throughout Blue Hot Gossip. It helped to make each character stand out.

        Another trick is to mix multiple tracks of recordings to create a "chorus" effect and make it seem as if more than one person is talking at the same time. I used it a few times, such as at the very ending of one of the Halloween episodes. (http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.ca/2010_10_01_archive.html) There are five voices talking at once.
      • the Encaffeinated ONE
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
          Thanks for all the tips! The panel is tomorrow afternoon, and I'll
          post audio (if it records..) and a summary of all the tips I've got on
          Understanding Podcasting in the coming week. (I'll post a note here
          where I have.)

          -MK