Re: Looking for "Advanced" Audacity tips

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
      The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.

      I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:

      > Hey all!
      >
      > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
      > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
      > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
      > expert at it by now..
      >
      > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
      > with Audacity?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > -MK
      > --
      > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

    • Andrew Darlow
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
        Hi Mark:

        Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

        Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

        Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

        I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

        All the best,
        Andrew

        Andrew Darlow
        Editor, The Imaging Buffet
        http://www.imagingbuffet.com
        Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
        An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
        and
        Pet Photography 101:
        Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
        http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

        On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

        > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
        >
        > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
        >
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey all!
        > >
        > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
        > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
        > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
        > > expert at it by now..
        > >
        > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
        > > with Audacity?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > >
        > > -MK
        > > --
        > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

      • Andrew Darlow
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
          Hi Mark:

          I just realize that I skipped one step, that is probably obvious but just in case:

          After I choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz), I delete the channel that's not usable.

          This was my original post:

          Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

          Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

          Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

          I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

          All the best,
          Andrew

          Andrew Darlow
          Editor, The Imaging Buffet
          http://www.imagingbuffet.com
          Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
          An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
          and
          Pet Photography 101:
          Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
          http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

          On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

          > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
          >
          > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey all!
          > >
          > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
          > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
          > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
          > > expert at it by now..
          > >
          > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
          > > with Audacity?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > -MK
          > > --
          > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

        • Patrick McNa...
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
            How about the "Living Stereo" effect? I would split the track then adjust the volume on each spoken section of the track to make it seem as if people were talking from different parts of the room. I used it all throughout Blue Hot Gossip. It helped to make each character stand out.

            Another trick is to mix multiple tracks of recordings to create a "chorus" effect and make it seem as if more than one person is talking at the same time. I used it a few times, such as at the very ending of one of the Halloween episodes. (http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.ca/2010_10_01_archive.html) There are five voices talking at once.
          • the Encaffeinated ONE
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
              Thanks for all the tips! The panel is tomorrow afternoon, and I'll
              post audio (if it records..) and a summary of all the tips I've got on
              Understanding Podcasting in the coming week. (I'll post a note here
              where I have.)

              -MK