Re: [podcasters] Looking for "Advanced" Audacity tips

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
      On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
      > Thanks! Uh.. Was there a #2 between 1 and 3, or just a typo? :)

      Typo... I realized my 2 was really part of 1.

      --
      Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or
      the airlock.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
        The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.

        I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:

        > Hey all!
        >
        > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
        > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
        > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
        > expert at it by now..
        >
        > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
        > with Audacity?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -MK
        > --
        > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

      • Andrew Darlow
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
          Hi Mark:

          Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

          Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

          Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

          I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

          All the best,
          Andrew

          Andrew Darlow
          Editor, The Imaging Buffet
          http://www.imagingbuffet.com
          Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
          An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
          and
          Pet Photography 101:
          Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
          http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

          On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

          > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
          >
          > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
          >
          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey all!
          > >
          > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
          > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
          > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
          > > expert at it by now..
          > >
          > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
          > > with Audacity?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > -MK
          > > --
          > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

        • Andrew Darlow
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
            Hi Mark:

            I just realize that I skipped one step, that is probably obvious but just in case:

            After I choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz), I delete the channel that's not usable.

            This was my original post:

            Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

            Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

            Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

            I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

            All the best,
            Andrew

            Andrew Darlow
            Editor, The Imaging Buffet
            http://www.imagingbuffet.com
            Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
            An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
            and
            Pet Photography 101:
            Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
            http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

            On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

            > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
            >
            > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey all!
            > >
            > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
            > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
            > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
            > > expert at it by now..
            > >
            > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
            > > with Audacity?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > -MK
            > > --
            > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

          • Patrick McNa...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
              How about the "Living Stereo" effect? I would split the track then adjust the volume on each spoken section of the track to make it seem as if people were talking from different parts of the room. I used it all throughout Blue Hot Gossip. It helped to make each character stand out.

              Another trick is to mix multiple tracks of recordings to create a "chorus" effect and make it seem as if more than one person is talking at the same time. I used it a few times, such as at the very ending of one of the Halloween episodes. (http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.ca/2010_10_01_archive.html) There are five voices talking at once.
            • the Encaffeinated ONE
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                Thanks for all the tips! The panel is tomorrow afternoon, and I'll
                post audio (if it records..) and a summary of all the tips I've got on
                Understanding Podcasting in the coming week. (I'll post a note here
                where I have.)

                -MK