Re: [podcasters] Looking for "Advanced" Audacity tips

  • the Encaffeinated ONE
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
      Thanks! Uh.. Was there a #2 between 1 and 3, or just a typo? :)

      -MK

      On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
      > 1. How to use the spectrum analyzer to decide what frequencies to adjust on
      > the equalizer.
      >
      > When you have two different tracks running at the same time, such as music
      > and voice, take a spectrum of the two tracks. Notice which frequencies are
      > the strongest for each track, and apply an equalizer to the other that
      > reduces the frequencies where the first is strongest.
      >
      > 3. How to use the noise reducer in multiple stages rather than all-at-once.
      >
      > Reduce the noise reduction tool to 6-8 Db. Take a sample, run noise
      > reduction over the whole track using that sample.  Then sample a new place,
      > and run noise reduction again, until the level of noise reduction that you
      > need is reached. Using it at the default usually makes the noise audible
      > behind the voice while it's speaking, but not in the blank spaces between,
      > and that sounds lousy.  This method is more likely to get a decent result.
      >

      > On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...>wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Hey all!
      >>
      >> So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
      >> struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
      >> hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
      >> expert at it by now..
      >>
      >> So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
      >> with Audacity?
      >>
      >> Thanks!
      >>
      >> -MK
      >> --
      >> -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"
      >>

      > --
      > Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
      > airlock.
      > http://www.nobiliserotica.com
      > ----------------------------------
      > "...You can write the most detailed...description of an ax entering a
      > skull, and nobody will say a word in protest. But if you write a similarly
      > detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get letters from
      > people saying they’ll never read you again. What the hell? Penises entering
      > vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world than axes entering skulls.”
      > --Author George R. R. Martin

      -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
        On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
        > Thanks! Uh.. Was there a #2 between 1 and 3, or just a typo? :)

        Typo... I realized my 2 was really part of 1.

        --
        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or
        the airlock.
        http://www.nobiliserotica.com
        ----------------------------------
        "...You can write the most detailed...description of an ax entering a
        skull, and nobody will say a word in protest. But if you write a
        similarly detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get
        letters from people saying they’ll never read you again. What the
        hell? Penises entering vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world
        than axes entering skulls.” --Author George R. R. Martin
      • tapeleg
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
          The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.

          I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:

          > Hey all!
          >
          > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
          > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
          > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
          > expert at it by now..
          >
          > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
          > with Audacity?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > -MK
          > --
          > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

        • Andrew Darlow
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
            Hi Mark:

            Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

            Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

            Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

            I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

            All the best,
            Andrew

            Andrew Darlow
            Editor, The Imaging Buffet
            http://www.imagingbuffet.com
            Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
            An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
            and
            Pet Photography 101:
            Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
            http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

            On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

            > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
            >
            > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
            >
            > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey all!
            > >
            > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
            > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
            > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
            > > expert at it by now..
            > >
            > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
            > > with Audacity?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > -MK
            > > --
            > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

          • Andrew Darlow
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
              Hi Mark:

              I just realize that I skipped one step, that is probably obvious but just in case:

              After I choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz), I delete the channel that's not usable.

              This was my original post:

              Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

              Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

              Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

              I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

              All the best,
              Andrew

              Andrew Darlow
              Editor, The Imaging Buffet
              http://www.imagingbuffet.com
              Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
              An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
              and
              Pet Photography 101:
              Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
              http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

              On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

              > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
              >
              > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
              >
              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey all!
              > >
              > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
              > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
              > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
              > > expert at it by now..
              > >
              > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
              > > with Audacity?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > >
              > > -MK
              > > --
              > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

            • Patrick McNa...
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                How about the "Living Stereo" effect? I would split the track then adjust the volume on each spoken section of the track to make it seem as if people were talking from different parts of the room. I used it all throughout Blue Hot Gossip. It helped to make each character stand out.

                Another trick is to mix multiple tracks of recordings to create a "chorus" effect and make it seem as if more than one person is talking at the same time. I used it a few times, such as at the very ending of one of the Halloween episodes. (http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.ca/2010_10_01_archive.html) There are five voices talking at once.
              • the Encaffeinated ONE
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                  Thanks for all the tips! The panel is tomorrow afternoon, and I'll
                  post audio (if it records..) and a summary of all the tips I've got on
                  Understanding Podcasting in the coming week. (I'll post a note here
                  where I have.)

                  -MK