Looking for "Advanced" Audacity tips

  • the Encaffeinated ONE
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
      Hey all!

      So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
      struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
      hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
      expert at it by now..

      So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
      with Audacity?

      Thanks!

      -MK
      --
      -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"
    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
        1. How to use the spectrum analyzer to decide what frequencies to adjust on
        the equalizer.

        When you have two different tracks running at the same time, such as music
        and voice, take a spectrum of the two tracks. Notice which frequencies are
        the strongest for each track, and apply an equalizer to the other that
        reduces the frequencies where the first is strongest.

        3. How to use the noise reducer in multiple stages rather than all-at-once.

        Reduce the noise reduction tool to 6-8 Db. Take a sample, run noise
        reduction over the whole track using that sample. Then sample a new place,
        and run noise reduction again, until the level of noise reduction that you
        need is reached. Using it at the default usually makes the noise audible
        behind the voice while it's speaking, but not in the blank spaces between,
        and that sounds lousy. This method is more likely to get a decent result.

        --
        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.

      • the Encaffeinated ONE
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
          Thanks! Uh.. Was there a #2 between 1 and 3, or just a typo? :)

          -MK

          On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
          > 1. How to use the spectrum analyzer to decide what frequencies to adjust on
          > the equalizer.
          >
          > When you have two different tracks running at the same time, such as music
          > and voice, take a spectrum of the two tracks. Notice which frequencies are
          > the strongest for each track, and apply an equalizer to the other that
          > reduces the frequencies where the first is strongest.
          >
          > 3. How to use the noise reducer in multiple stages rather than all-at-once.
          >
          > Reduce the noise reduction tool to 6-8 Db. Take a sample, run noise
          > reduction over the whole track using that sample.  Then sample a new place,
          > and run noise reduction again, until the level of noise reduction that you
          > need is reached. Using it at the default usually makes the noise audible
          > behind the voice while it's speaking, but not in the blank spaces between,
          > and that sounds lousy.  This method is more likely to get a decent result.
          >

          > On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...>wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Hey all!
          >>
          >> So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
          >> struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
          >> hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
          >> expert at it by now..
          >>
          >> So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
          >> with Audacity?
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> -MK
          >> --
          >> -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"
          >>

          > --
          > Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
          > airlock.
          > http://www.nobiliserotica.com
          > ----------------------------------
          > "...You can write the most detailed...description of an ax entering a
          > skull, and nobody will say a word in protest. But if you write a similarly
          > detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get letters from
          > people saying they’ll never read you again. What the hell? Penises entering
          > vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world than axes entering skulls.”
          > --Author George R. R. Martin

          -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"
        • Nobilis Reed
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 9, 2012
            On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:04 PM, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
            > Thanks! Uh.. Was there a #2 between 1 and 3, or just a typo? :)

            Typo... I realized my 2 was really part of 1.

            --
            Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or
            the airlock.
            http://www.nobiliserotica.com
            ----------------------------------
            "...You can write the most detailed...description of an ax entering a
            skull, and nobody will say a word in protest. But if you write a
            similarly detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get
            letters from people saying they’ll never read you again. What the
            hell? Penises entering vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world
            than axes entering skulls.” --Author George R. R. Martin
          • tapeleg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
              The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.

              I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:

              > Hey all!
              >
              > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
              > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
              > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
              > expert at it by now..
              >
              > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
              > with Audacity?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > -MK
              > --
              > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

            • Andrew Darlow
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
                Hi Mark:

                Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

                Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

                Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

                I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

                All the best,
                Andrew

                Andrew Darlow
                Editor, The Imaging Buffet
                http://www.imagingbuffet.com
                Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
                An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
                and
                Pet Photography 101:
                Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
                http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

                On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

                > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
                >
                > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey all!
                > >
                > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
                > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
                > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
                > > expert at it by now..
                > >
                > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
                > > with Audacity?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > >
                > > -MK
                > > --
                > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

              • Andrew Darlow
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 10, 2012
                  Hi Mark:

                  I just realize that I skipped one step, that is probably obvious but just in case:

                  After I choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz), I delete the channel that's not usable.

                  This was my original post:

                  Here's one of my top tips: I often record with stereo lav mics on portable audio recorders, but only one channel is used, so I import the stereo clip into Audacity, then choose Split Stereo Track from the dropdown menu next to the x and the file name in the top left hand corner of the track (above Hz).

                  Then I choose "mono" from the same place, and I'm good to go.

                  Since I almost never use tools specific to Audacity, I generally just save the file as an AIFF file from there by choosing File>Export as AIFF, and not as a project. I'm guessing a lot of people will want to save it as a project though.

                  I also set up my uncompressed file option under Preferences/File Formats.

                  All the best,
                  Andrew

                  Andrew Darlow
                  Editor, The Imaging Buffet
                  http://www.imagingbuffet.com
                  Author, 301 Inkjet Tips and Techniques:
                  An Essential Printing Resource for Photographers - http://www.inkjettips.com
                  and
                  Pet Photography 101:
                  Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Dog or Cat - http://www.PhotoPetTips.com
                  http://facebook.com/andrewdarlow

                  On Jun 10, 2012, at 10:27 AM, tapeleg wrote:

                  > The only thing I use Audacity for is splitting stereo files after recording Skype sessions. That may be too basic for your stuff, but for some people, it may be a new feature.
                  >
                  > I wrote up a tutorial here: http://www.podgeek.com/2011/03/splitting-stereo-audio-in-audacity/
                  >
                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, the Encaffeinated ONE <encaf1@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey all!
                  > >
                  > > So, next week I'm part of a panel on "Advanced Audacity", and I'm
                  > > struggling to articulate some of my tricks. I thought I'd ask the
                  > > hivemind, as Podcasters often use Audacity, and many of you are quite
                  > > expert at it by now..
                  > >
                  > > So: what is your top "advanced" tip/trick/feature for audio editing
                  > > with Audacity?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > -MK
                  > > --
                  > > -Mark "the Encaffeinated ONE"

                • Patrick McNa...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                    How about the "Living Stereo" effect? I would split the track then adjust the volume on each spoken section of the track to make it seem as if people were talking from different parts of the room. I used it all throughout Blue Hot Gossip. It helped to make each character stand out.

                    Another trick is to mix multiple tracks of recordings to create a "chorus" effect and make it seem as if more than one person is talking at the same time. I used it a few times, such as at the very ending of one of the Halloween episodes. (http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.ca/2010_10_01_archive.html) There are five voices talking at once.
                  • the Encaffeinated ONE
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 11, 2012
                      Thanks for all the tips! The panel is tomorrow afternoon, and I'll
                      post audio (if it records..) and a summary of all the tips I've got on
                      Understanding Podcasting in the coming week. (I'll post a note here
                      where I have.)

                      -MK