Hosting options

  • Joe Fusco
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2012
      Greetings everyone,

      I just finished recording episode 15 of the Two Rambling Idiots Podcast.
      When I started it I wasn't sure if it would take off so I set up a free
      blog at Blogspot and free hosting through The Internet Archive. I think
      it's time to move to a more solid platform with a dedicated domain name.
      The problem is I'm not familiar with the hosting options. Can I just set up
      basic hosting and upload the episodes to a folder? Do I need special
      "podcast" hosting? Where can I get the best deal? Keep in mind that I have
      almost no budget.

      Thanks,
      Joe

    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2012
        If you get a significant number of downloads, you're likely to start
        hitting some significant download traffic charges.

        The nice thing about Libsyn is that I know what my fee is going to be every
        month.

        On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Greetings everyone,
        >
        > I just finished recording episode 15 of the Two Rambling Idiots Podcast.
        > When I started it I wasn't sure if it would take off so I set up a free
        > blog at Blogspot and free hosting through The Internet Archive. I think
        > it's time to move to a more solid platform with a dedicated domain name.
        > The problem is I'm not familiar with the hosting options. Can I just set up
        > basic hosting and upload the episodes to a folder? Do I need special
        > "podcast" hosting? Where can I get the best deal? Keep in mind that I have
        > almost no budget.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joe

        Stories that don't stop at the bedroom door - or the castle gate - or the
        airlock.
        http://www.nobiliserotica.com
        ----------------------------------
        "...You can write the most detailed...description of an ax entering a
        skull, and nobody will say a word in protest. But if you write a similarly
        detailed description of a penis entering a vagina, you get letters from
        people saying they�ll never read you again. What the hell? Penises entering
        vaginas bring a lot more joy into the world than axes entering skulls.�
        --Author George R. R. Martin

      • Donald
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2012
          Joe,

          Why not take a look at our options on www.spreaker.com. You'd be part of a broadcast community with great support and lots of social connections. We have web and mobile recording consoles. You can broadcast live or create podcasts (all live broadcasts also become podcasts). As soon as you go live or podcast your status can go out to Facebook, Twitter, Soundcloud, iTunes and our iPhone and Android platforms. You can sign up for free to try it out.

          Good luck,

          Donald Landwirth

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

          > Greetings everyone,
          >
          > I just finished recording episode 15 of the Two Rambling Idiots Podcast.
          > When I started it I wasn't sure if it would take off so I set up a free
          > blog at Blogspot and free hosting through The Internet Archive. I think
          > it's time to move to a more solid platform with a dedicated domain name.
          > The problem is I'm not familiar with the hosting options. Can I just set up
          > basic hosting and upload the episodes to a folder? Do I need special
          > "podcast" hosting? Where can I get the best deal? Keep in mind that I have
          > almost no budget.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Joe

        • C. Hatton Humphrey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2012
            On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...>wrote:

            > If you get a significant number of downloads, you're likely to start
            > hitting some significant download traffic charges.
            >
            > The nice thing about Libsyn is that I know what my fee is going to be every
            > month.

            I've toyed with the idea of re-booting a hosting service that I used to run
            many years ago. I would work out pricing to be fair but it would be
            straight web hosting with the choice to have a Win or Linux server.
            Depending on response I may move forward with this idea.

            So, what says the group? What would you expect a reasonable hosting
            solution to cost you? What kind of disk space and bandwidth restrictions
            are expected? I'm asking you folks rather than scouring the 'net and
            looking at "competition" mainly because it wouldn't be a heavily advertised
            service, only something that would be available for the podcasting/blogging
            community. Since that's my target group, I'd like to brainstorm what would
            be considered a viable structure and then, given the limitations of the
            reseller program that I'm on (I started it in 2003 and still use it, only
            well below its limitations) determine if it'll work!

            Until Later!
            C. Hatton Humphrey
            http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

            No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of
            electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

          • angelomandato
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2012
              If you end up moving your blog and podcast to a self hosted WordPress web site, it will only come natural to use the Blubrry PowerPress podcasting plugin. You can use the plugin without creating an account at blubrry.com. Since you're looking for a media hosting solution, blubrry media hosting integrates seamlessly with the PowerPress plugin, making it easy to upload and publish all from the same edit post screen. Plus you can get your Blubrry media stats in your WordPress dashboard. You can also host your media else where and still sign up for free statistics at blubrry.com.

              Learn more about blubrry hosting: https://secure.blubrry.com/podcast-publishing-premium-with-hosting/

              I recently spoke with Cliff Ravenscraft about the plugin in episode 262 of The Podcast Answer Man: http://podcastanswerman.com/262/, this episode gives some background of PowerPress and the latest features in 4.0.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

              > Greetings everyone,
              >
              > I just finished recording episode 15 of the Two Rambling Idiots Podcast.
              > When I started it I wasn't sure if it would take off so I set up a free
              > blog at Blogspot and free hosting through The Internet Archive. I think
              > it's time to move to a more solid platform with a dedicated domain name.
              > The problem is I'm not familiar with the hosting options. Can I just set up
              > basic hosting and upload the episodes to a folder? Do I need special
              > "podcast" hosting? Where can I get the best deal? Keep in mind that I have
              > almost no budget.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Joe

            • Todd Cochrane
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2012
                With that you are locked into someones vertical platform. I always tell
                folks maintain your brand and branch out from there. Cross post to other
                sites as needed but never have your main platform be on anyones vertical
                site.

                Todd..