Our City Radio looking for podcasters

  • BruceV555
    Message 1 of 11 , May 25, 2012
      Hello everyone, my name is Brian Fairo and I am one of the owners of Our City Radio. We are a national network of independent internet radio stations who's sole purpose is the promotion of independent artists, musicians, comedians and podcasters. We have over 130 cities and a national network with 13 genre's so far and we need help! Anyone who podcasts and is looking for syndication, we'd love to hear from you! Our national site is http://national.ourcityradio.com We are NOT a pay to play in any way and we accept music from anyone looking for more exposure. You can click on the support link and I will personally get back to you asap! I look forward to hearing from anyone in the podcasting world! Thanks all!
    • salmiaki_20hertz
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
        Hi,

        I've send a mail submitting my podcast on your network, I hope it can be featured. You can have a look here : http://www.mixcloud.com/20hertz/
        Thanks for any support ;)

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "BruceV555" <bfairo@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone, my name is Brian Fairo and I am one of the owners of Our City Radio. We are a national network of independent internet radio stations who's sole purpose is the promotion of independent artists, musicians, comedians and podcasters. We have over 130 cities and a national network with 13 genre's so far and we need help! Anyone who podcasts and is looking for syndication, we'd love to hear from you! Our national site is http://national.ourcityradio.com We are NOT a pay to play in any way and we accept music from anyone looking for more exposure. You can click on the support link and I will personally get back to you asap! I look forward to hearing from anyone in the podcasting world! Thanks all!

      • David Jackson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
          "we are not a pay to play" ...um.. for the first month apparently.

          Dave Jackson
          www.schoolofpodcasting.com

          --
          Dave Jackson
          www.davidjackson.org

        • Brian Fairo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2012
            Where are you getting your information from? We have never charged an
            artist or a podcaster. judging by your posts you only have negative things
            to say about everyone.

            On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...> wrote:

            > "we are not a pay to play" ...um.. for the first month apparently.
            >
            > Dave Jackson
            > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
            >

            > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM, salmiaki_20hertz <salmiaki@...
            > >wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I've send a mail submitting my podcast on your network, I hope it can be
            > > featured. You can have a look here : http://www.mixcloud.com/20hertz/
            > > Thanks for any support ;)
            > >

            > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "BruceV555" <bfairo@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello everyone, my name is Brian Fairo and I am one of the owners of
            > Our
            > > City Radio. We are a national network of independent internet radio
            > > stations who's sole purpose is the promotion of independent artists,
            > > musicians, comedians and podcasters. We have over 130 cities and a
            > national
            > > network with 13 genre's so far and we need help! Anyone who podcasts and
            > is
            > > looking for syndication, we'd love to hear from you! Our national site is
            > > http://national.ourcityradio.com We are NOT a pay to play in any way
            > and
            > > we accept music from anyone looking for more exposure. You can click on
            > the
            > > support link and I will personally get back to you asap! I look forward
            > > hearing from anyone in the podcasting world! Thanks all!
            > > >

            > --
            > Dave Jackson
            > www.davidjackson.org

            Brian Fairo
            CEO
            Venom Marketing Group LLC <http://venommarketinggroup.info>

          • David Jackson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
              I just submitted my podcast to your directory. The first option is "*Free
              listing for 1 month*" (with a paid option for a year). Sorry to be
              negative. Now I will admit that I did make an assumption that since you
              specified the first month was free that the second month was not. This is
              after I clicked on business.ourcityradio.com So based on that assumption I
              may be wrong. If so, I apologize.

              As for being negative, maybe I should try to be more uplifting. It's hard
              when you see the information of people lead good people into bad places
              where they can't get out. Blog Talk Radio is a service I dislike immensely
              because I have to help person after person move from their service because
              their audio is so bad (and I have to inform the podcaster that when Blog
              talk Radio did them a "favor" and submitted their feed to iTunes they
              "married" Blog Talk Radio). How do I know that? Well, one I have ears, and
              second I did the research (see
              http://davidjackson.org/2011/11/making-sure-blog-talk-radio-still-sucks/ ).
              That link shows why their audio is so bad from a technical aspect (with
              screen shots)

              When I pointed out that Allan Hunkin couldn't do math it was because he
              said he had been podcasting for 14 years. Do the math. 2012-2004 = 8 years.
              (Adam Curry and Dave Winer "invented" podcasting in 2004).

              When I pointed out that the podcasting "expert" at about.com had no album
              art it was based on these things I use called "facts." I have the screen
              shots to back me up. He also stated that you didn't need an RSS feed to be
              a podcast. That's kind of like saying a Big Mac is still a Big Mac even if
              there is no "special sauce." When in reality it would be a cheeseburger
              with lettuce, pickles, and onions.

              Many people promote Blog talk radio because they have an affiliate program
              through Commission Junction (not because they feel its such a great
              service).

              I clicked on the rock channel on your site, and liked what I heard.

              On Jul 27, 2012 4:41 AM, "Brian Fairo" <bfairo@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Where are you getting your information from? We have never charged an
              > artist or a podcaster. judging by your posts you only have negative things
              > to say about everyone.
              >
              > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, David Jackson <jammindave@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > "we are not a pay to play" ...um.. for the first month apparently.
              > >
              > > Dave Jackson
              > > www.schoolofpodcasting.com
              > >

              > > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM, salmiaki_20hertz <salmiaki@...
              > > >wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              > > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > I've send a mail submitting my podcast on your network, I hope it can
              > be
              > > > featured. You can have a look here : http://www.mixcloud.com/20hertz/
              > > > Thanks for any support ;)

              > > Our
              > > > City Radio. We are a national network of independent internet radio
              > > > stations who's sole purpose is the promotion of independent artists,
              > > > musicians, comedians and podcasters. We have over 130 cities and a
              > > national
              > > > network with 13 genre's so far and we need help! Anyone who podcasts
              > and
              > > is
              > > > looking for syndication, we'd love to hear from you! Our national site
              > is
              > > > http://national.ourcityradio.com We are NOT a pay to play in any way
              > > and
              > > > we accept music from anyone looking for more exposure. You can click on
              > > the
              > > > support link and I will personally get back to you asap! I look forward
              > > > hearing from anyone in the podcasting world! Thanks all!
              > > > >

              > > --
              > > Dave Jackson
              > > www.davidjackson.org

              > Brian Fairo
              > CEO
              > Venom Marketing Group LLC <http://venommarketinggroup.info>

            • BH
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
                I suppose I am going to jump in here with my humble opinion. I will say without a doubt that it is my humble opinion. I like Dave Jackson and have listened to his podcasts for some time. I always get great information that has helped me become a better podcaster by far. If you don't listen to him, give it a shot. I think we all can learn from each other. I enjoy listening to a wide range of podcasts many times even on topics I don't have a lot of knowledge or interest in because I can still learn a good technique for my own shows.

                I will also say that the thing that drives me nuts is the pay-to-play model everywhere and how they prey on podcasters. We are all (or at least most of us) adults and so caveat emptor is in place here, but it still doesn't make it right. I've had people comment and leave feedback on my podcasts to say "that was a great episode. Awesome info. I have a podcast network and would love to include your show." That all sounds good for 5 seconds until you find out that there is a "small" monthly fee for the listing.

                I also don't like bending the truth. Our City Radio is a business. It exists to make Venom Media money. This is not to say that it doesn't provide good music, but you pay to be listed and Venom is seeking advertisers. That is why they require any artists wishing to submit music for "free" to sign up for their newsletter, make a free profile on their site, like their twitter and like their facebook. It specifically says you will not have your music played unless you do all of those things. Why you ask? Because they want to show potential advertisers all the people that follow them, even if you don't actually follow them. There is a cost for me to submit music as an independent artist. Not a monetary expense for me, but a potential monetary gain for you. If you truly support independent artists then just play their music period. No signing up. No strings attached.

                I am not just wanting to single out Our City Radio, but this is getting to be the case everywhere. I don't have sponsors for my shows. I am not opposed to them some day, but I don't solicit them. Because I am building a community of listeners. People who share the same passion about the topics as I do. They invest their time to listen to the shows, interact with me as the host, and I have even had them ask to contribute. You have to do what you do because you love to do it. Because it is a passion. People can hear authenticity over the radio and they get it. People will support that financially, too. I just dislike groups trying to get you to pay to play your content that you created on their site to benefit them. Target your audience, treat them right and make awesome content. Don't pay to have 5 extra people listen to your show while the network uses your listeners to boost their advertising numbers.

                Happy podcasting all.

                Brian Herbert
                thinbluebbq@...

                The Indy Autographs Podcast
              • Brian Fairo
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
                  Ya know I glad you brought that up, the business section is a separate
                  install with a directory package working on it, i have to get in there and
                  change it around because those listings are also supposed to be free,
                  you'll never get charged for havving a listing there. The business and
                  talent subdomains are supposed to be profiles for those listed throughout
                  the national and various cities. I agree 1000% about blog talk radio and
                  I'm glad you got a chance to listen to the rock channel, we are in the
                  process of redesigning everything and I will change those listing options
                  on the business section, we are seriously understaffed! Thank you for
                  response Dave and perhaps over the next couple of weeks we can get together
                  about having a weekly segment on one of the channels, for free of course!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
                    Brian, Your statement, "If you truly support independent artists then just
                    play their music period.", shows me that you really haven't looked at the
                    network as a whole. I don't just play music, or podcasts my man. My network
                    does wayyy more when it comes to the promotion of independent artists
                    because I am one. Our network is in 135 cities, has 100's of other
                    websites, provides written content with seo services, and a host of other
                    promotion services, in exchange for liking us. The measly amount we have in
                    place for potential advertisers is to keep the network alive and growing,
                    not for profit, Our City Radio does not make enough to sustain let alone
                    profit, My brother and I for over 3 years have personally paid to keep it
                    all running, All for the promotion and exposure of independent artists that
                    we care truly and deeply about. I can admit that I have not heard your
                    show, and for you to be doing because you love it is awesome, and
                    admirable, but go ahead and add tens of thousands of people just like you
                    all looking to you to do the same for them, and see how well you can keep
                    the servers paid. The "cost" of liking us on social networks is most
                    miniscule we could ask for that will help us, and even though we put there
                    that you must like us, I have NOT refused air time for any independent
                    artist. Look at it. We have barely 1100 likes on our main facebook page,
                    and over 10,000 artists in the system. Does that match up? We do what we do
                    for the love of it, just like you but so many people have been burned by
                    networks such as Blog Talk Radio that there is an instant bitterness. No
                    one has paid a dime for anything on Our City Radio except for the few
                    advertisers, and that hasn't even come close to paying for the 2 dedicated
                    vps servers being used just for Our City, let alone the dozens for our
                    other sites.

                  • Ken Kennedy Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
                      Excellent BH couldnt of put it better, the networks should be airing our shows for free because we are giving them the shows to help them get advertising.  Not this nominal 15 dollars a month crap

                      ________________________________
[...]

                    • Sammi St.John-Martinez
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
                        Brian,

                        Congrats! Thank you for explaining the costs involved. I too like you, have been paying out of pocket to not only help artists, radio personalities and others have a platform and beautiful studios to broadcast out of if they are local and also cater to distance shows. Our fee is so minimal for a podcaster to get so much in return and as the saying goes, "you have to spend money to make money!" All advertising revenue goes to our hosts and podcasters. Guess some folks don't see the vision you and I have. I support you as a fellow network owner that does way more than stream!

                        Fishbowl Radio Network L.L.C. - "Jump In!"
                        Sylvia "Sammi" St.John-Martinez - Founder/Owner
                        2225 E. Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 427
                        Arlington, Texas 76011
                        www.fishbowlradionetwork.com
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/FishBowl-Radio-Network/153231260825%c2%a0

                        sammi@...
                        817-633-4880

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 27, 2012
                          Thank you for the response, Brian. A lot of my comments weren't solely directed at your station, but at others that have posted similar things here and that I have seen in general off this forum. It's a reality everywhere.

                          I will respond, however to your direct comments. I spent plenty of time checking out your website and reviewing your lineup. I readily admit that I am not a devoted listener and I don't mean to say that you aren't doing anything for promoting things you care about, but I am a realist. I see this is a business model first.

                          Don't make your artist sign up for all that stuff if they want their music played. Just play their music. Let their fans find you and become devoted listeners that want to sign up to receive your newsletter or follow you on social media. Don't make it a requirement.

                          With a little research, I can see the business model for you. Part advertising, part station sales, part Web/SEO. I don't have to say it myself, here is the quote from your site:

                          "Make money with our flag ship Site
                          Our City Radio

                          Our City Radio has the availability to be in any city and we still have many, many available. You can pick a city to run and simply get people to show up to the site the more you get there the more money you can make. Its that simple we train you on everything. You can be be just a small part or a huge part of a city. To get started go to the Contact Us page and call or write us to let us know what city."

                          It's a free market and you have full freedom to do that. I don't fault you, but I don't have to buy into it. That's my sole point. I, as in me in my own opinion, don't like the idea of taking my established shows or ideas and then paying someone to allow me to play them on their network especially because I am not 100% sure from what I do see available on your site if my content still truly remains my content.

                          I want people to ask to support me or sponsor the shows I do because they like what they hear. Plain and simple. I know SEO is awesome and all that comes with it, but if you can entertain and engage a small group of people initially, the word will spread and you will have a following quickly. Having people pay someone to be trained to monetize their station and advertise, etc. isn't what it's about for me. I like my independence and I like others to have it too. I'm not opposed to making some money on podcasting, but I just never like it when someone shows up and says "I'm a podcaster and so are you. Let me show you how you can get more listeners or make money from your podcast. You just have to pay me for how to do that." I listen to Dave Jackson, Podcast Answer Man and others who offer consulting and services to do that, but they don't put it right in your face (at least not all of the time). They also give away tons of free content and information that is invaluable in their podcasts for free. People pay them for consulting or sign up for their pay materials because they want to support the person because of the value they receive. Just my two cents as usual.