Re: Small mixer

  • tapeleg
    Message 1 of 15 , May 15, 2012
      Hi Joe,

      You cannot hook up a USB mic to a mixer. You will need a new one.

      Take a look a the Mackie ONYX 802i. Its a little more expensive, but has a built in firewire interface. Mackie makes higher quality stuff as well.

      http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Onyx-820i-8-channel-Recording/dp/B002M3TQ30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337093204&sr=8-2

      Good luck.

      James

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm interested in getting a small, inexpensive mixer for my podcast but I want to get the best bang for my buck. I currently have a Snowball microphone and work with my co-host via Skype. I also have a laptop with a soundboard that is a third party via Skype (so it gets recorded and my co-host can hear it). Problem is, I have no volume control. With a mixer, I could feed my mic and the soundboard into my PC and record and transmit the output.
      >
      > I need at least one line input and two mic inputs. If there's an input for a USB mic, that's a bonus but I'm not against buying a different mic (I could easily sell the snowball). It needs to have headphone output too. My budget is $200 or less.
      >
      > Any thoughts on Mixers or kits?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joe
      >
      > Sent from my iPad

    • Geek News Central
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
        Friends don't let Friends buy Behringer mixers. You will be much more happy
        with buying something nicer. There are a lot of multi channel solutions out
        there that have great amps and also connect to a PC or Mac via USB.

        Todd Cochrane
        GeekNewsCentral.com
        twitter: @geeknews
        808.741.4923

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
          Hi Joe,

          Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?

          Best,
          Chris

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm interested in getting a small, inexpensive mixer for my podcast but I want to get the best bang for my buck. I currently have a Snowball microphone and work with my co-host via Skype. I also have a laptop with a soundboard that is a third party via Skype (so it gets recorded and my co-host can hear it). Problem is, I have no volume control. With a mixer, I could feed my mic and the soundboard into my PC and record and transmit the output.
          >
          > I need at least one line input and two mic inputs. If there's an input for a USB mic, that's a bonus but I'm not against buying a different mic (I could easily sell the snowball). It needs to have headphone output too. My budget is $200 or less.
          >
          > Any thoughts on Mixers or kits?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Joe
          >
          > Sent from my iPad

        • Kenn Crawford
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
            Hi Chris,
            Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
            mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
            latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.

            Kenn
            --
            http://podiorookie.com
            The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel

            On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
            > Hi Joe,
            >
            > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
            >
            > Best,
            > Chris

          • markk
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
              Hi Ken,

              I know that you were directing your question to Chris, but I can also answer this. I use ASIO4All V2 drivers and Hindenburg Journalist also. They mesh just fine. I use an MXL 009 USB mic along with Hindenburg.

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

              > Hi Chris,
              > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
              > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
              > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
              >
              > Kenn
              > --
              > http://podiorookie.com
              > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
              >

              > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
              > > Hi Joe,
              > >
              > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
              > >
              > > Best,
              > > Chris

            • Kenn Crawford
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
                Thanks for the speedy reply Mark.
                I have ASIO4ALL v2 installed already so something is not quite right.
                Time to play with it some more and figure it out because the software
                looks really cool.
                Thanks again,
                Kenn
                --

              • chrismottes@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 24, 2012
                  Thanks for chiming in Mark :). Kenn, if you are having problems getting it to work with Hindy, you are welcome to write to support@... for help.
                  Best, Chris

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 24, 2012
                    I do believe it's a driver issue, I noticed the usb port has been acting
                    up. I was planning to wipe the drive and do a clean install of windows
                    in the near future so why not bump up that schedule, start fresh and
                    take Hindy for a run? I will keep you posted.
                    Thanks Chris and Mark.

                    -Kenn

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                      Hi Kenn,

                      To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
                      not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
                      monitoring using WASAPI.

                      We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
                      Can you mention some examples?

                      Best regards, Chris

                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Chris,
                      > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                      > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                      > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
                      >
                      > Kenn
                      > --
                      > http://podiorookie.com
                      > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
                      >

                      > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                      > > Hi Joe,
                      > >
                      > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > > Chris

                    • Kenn Crawford
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                        Hi Chris,
                        The USB mic themselves do not come with ASIO drivers. Some mics, like
                        the Blue Yeti, have a built-in headphone jack and volume control for
                        latency-free monitoring (I haven't tested that mic.) Other mics, like
                        the Avid Vocal Producer USB, have an headphone jack but no volume
                        control because it is controlled by software. As such the latency can be
                        bad. That mic I did own and returned. I am currently using the AT2020
                        USB mic (no built-in headphone jack.)

                        I am using an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface as my monitoring device
                        but I am not getting any sound. I can select the AT2020 as the recording
                        device and it works great, I just can't hear anything. I can see the
                        levels and can listen to it on playback just fine, but I can't monitor
                        it while I am recording.

                        Both Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine allows me to monitor the AT2020
                        through the M-Audio.
                        In Audacity there is an option for software play-through but with
                        latency that is distracting. It's more tolerable on my old Mac.
                        In Kristal Audio Engine there is a section that allows me to select the
                        ASIO control panel (I am using ASIO4ALL) and I can monitor the AT2020
                        via the M-Audio no problem. The ASIO4ALL install allows me to virtually
                        eliminate the latency. But I can't for some reason seem to be able to
                        monitor myself using Hindy.

                        I played around with the Profiler feature and it was cool - I could of
                        used that feature when I was recording an episode with a cold and
                        scratchy throat :)

                        I would like to see some indicators on the input control - I'd rather
                        not approximate where my mic gain was set for different mics. I haven't
                        really given Hindy a run for it's money yet because I can't hear myself.
                        As a side note, I could always use one of my dynamic mics and directly
                        monitor it using the m-audio direct monitor switch and give Hindy a test
                        run that way, but I want to be able to record, edit and produce a full
                        episode of my podcast using just Hindy and for that I use a USB mic.

                        Kenn

                        On 6/25/2012 5:01 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                        > Hi Kenn,
                        >
                        > To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
                        > not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
                        > monitoring using WASAPI.
                        >
                        > We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
                        > Can you mention some examples?
                        >
                        > Best regards, Chris
                        >
                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford<kenn@...> wrote:
                        >> Hi Chris,
                        >> Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                        >> mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                        >> latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
                        >>
                        >> Kenn
                        >> --
                        >> http://podiorookie.com
                        >> The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
                        >>

                        >> On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                        >>> Hi Joe,
                        >>>
                        >>> Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                        >>>
                        >>> Best,
                        >>> Chris

                      • Chris Mottes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 26, 2012
                          Hi Kenn,

                          To enable monitoring in Hindenburg, right click the "record arm" button and you should be able to hear yourself through the M-Audio.

                          In Hindenburg you do not need to set your mic gain at precisely the same point every time, the Auto Level function will ensure that the average level of each take is the same.

                          Best, Chris
                        • Kenn Crawford
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 28, 2012
                            Hi Chris,

                            That doesn't work. Not sure why but it's not calling up the ASIO4ALL
                            driver like it's supposed or any driver that wil allow me to monitor a
                            USB mic. Weird. Probably a computer glitch on my end. Anyway, I'm going
                            to switch to a dynamic mic for my next podcast episode and record it
                            with Hindenburg way.

                            Regards,
                            Kenn