Small mixer

  • Joe Fusco
    Message 1 of 15 , May 14 7:53 PM
      Hi,

      I'm interested in getting a small, inexpensive mixer for my podcast but I want to get the best bang for my buck. I currently have a Snowball microphone and work with my co-host via Skype. I also have a laptop with a soundboard that is a third party via Skype (so it gets recorded and my co-host can hear it). Problem is, I have no volume control. With a mixer, I could feed my mic and the soundboard into my PC and record and transmit the output.

      I need at least one line input and two mic inputs. If there's an input for a USB mic, that's a bonus but I'm not against buying a different mic (I could easily sell the snowball). It needs to have headphone output too. My budget is $200 or less.

      Any thoughts on Mixers or kits?

      Thanks,
      Joe

      Sent from my iPad
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 15 , May 14 8:28 PM
        Joe, I recommend two brands: Behringer and Mackie.

        Behringer is a bit controversial, because they pretty much copied the
        Mackie schematics, and, some say, they use inferior parts in their mixers
        (and their mixers cost less). I've used both with no problems. Here are a
        couple of popular models:

        http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-1002-mixer#review

        http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-402-vlz3-compact-audio-mixer(this
        is the one I use now for my podcasts)

        You'll also need to buy an analog-to-usb adapter to connect it to your
        computer I like this one because it comes with a lot of free software:

        http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-U-Control-Ultra-Low-Interface/dp/B0023BYDHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337052420&sr=8-2

        Hope this helps!

        Best,

        ---Dan
        http://danhughes.net
        http://danhughesbooks.com
        http://treasuremanual.com
        http://slowpitchbook.com
        http://danhughesautographs.com
        http://thetreasurecorner.com
        http://thesoftballcorner.com
        http://radiofun.info

        On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm interested in getting a small, inexpensive mixer for my podcast but I
        > want to get the best bang for my buck. I currently have a Snowball
        > microphone and work with my co-host via Skype. I also have a laptop with a
        > soundboard that is a third party via Skype (so it gets recorded and my
        > co-host can hear it). Problem is, I have no volume control. With a mixer, I
        > could feed my mic and the soundboard into my PC and record and transmit the
        > output.
        >
        > I need at least one line input and two mic inputs. If there's an input for
        > a USB mic, that's a bonus but I'm not against buying a different mic (I
        > could easily sell the snowball). It needs to have headphone output too. My
        > budget is $200 or less.
        >
        > Any thoughts on Mixers or kits?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joe
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • BH
        Message 3 of 15 , May 15 7:36 AM
          Hi, Joe. I will throw my two cents in here as well. I was on a tight budget when I first started podcasting and so it was important for me to find inexpensive equipment. I found a powerhouse of a board with a really small price tag and I love it.

          I record digitally with my laptop so I picked up a gently used M-Audio Fast Track Pro to bring my signal in USB. All of my inputs, however go into my board. I got my mixer brand new from Guitar Center for $69. It is an Alto Professional ZMX862. There are several key features for me on this one.

          1) I got 8 channels for a small price

          2) It has phantom power for you if you upgrade your mic

          3) Most important for me is that it has Aux Send. This allows me record my phone interviews, etc. through my iPhone with a simple cable and a couple of adapters. The sound quality is amazing and you can't do this unless you have Aux Send or "mix-minus" settings.

          I have a channel for my mic, one for iPhone stuff, one for my external computer with bumps, etc. and several spare channels. I feed all of that output to the M-Audio and then into my computer.

          I strongly recommend the Alto Professional ZMX862. I couldn't be any happier with the product especially with the low price. You could find the M-Audio Fast Track Pro at around $100 used so you could even get both below your $200 price range. Hope that helps.

          Brian Herbert
        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 15 , May 15 7:49 AM
            Hi Joe,

            You cannot hook up a USB mic to a mixer. You will need a new one.

            Take a look a the Mackie ONYX 802i. Its a little more expensive, but has a built in firewire interface. Mackie makes higher quality stuff as well.

            http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Onyx-820i-8-channel-Recording/dp/B002M3TQ30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337093204&sr=8-2

            Good luck.

            James

            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I'm interested in getting a small, inexpensive mixer for my podcast but I want to get the best bang for my buck. I currently have a Snowball microphone and work with my co-host via Skype. I also have a laptop with a soundboard that is a third party via Skype (so it gets recorded and my co-host can hear it). Problem is, I have no volume control. With a mixer, I could feed my mic and the soundboard into my PC and record and transmit the output.
            >
            > I need at least one line input and two mic inputs. If there's an input for a USB mic, that's a bonus but I'm not against buying a different mic (I could easily sell the snowball). It needs to have headphone output too. My budget is $200 or less.
            >
            > Any thoughts on Mixers or kits?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Joe
            >
            > Sent from my iPad

          • Geek News Central
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 20, 2012
              Friends don't let Friends buy Behringer mixers. You will be much more happy
              with buying something nicer. There are a lot of multi channel solutions out
              there that have great amps and also connect to a PC or Mac via USB.

              Todd Cochrane
              GeekNewsCentral.com
              twitter: @geeknews
              808.741.4923

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
                Hi Joe,

                Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?

                Best,
                Chris

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Joe Fusco <jfusco@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I'm interested in getting a small, inexpensive mixer for my podcast but I want to get the best bang for my buck. I currently have a Snowball microphone and work with my co-host via Skype. I also have a laptop with a soundboard that is a third party via Skype (so it gets recorded and my co-host can hear it). Problem is, I have no volume control. With a mixer, I could feed my mic and the soundboard into my PC and record and transmit the output.
                >
                > I need at least one line input and two mic inputs. If there's an input for a USB mic, that's a bonus but I'm not against buying a different mic (I could easily sell the snowball). It needs to have headphone output too. My budget is $200 or less.
                >
                > Any thoughts on Mixers or kits?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Joe
                >
                > Sent from my iPad

              • Kenn Crawford
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
                  Hi Chris,
                  Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                  mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                  latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.

                  Kenn
                  --
                  http://podiorookie.com
                  The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel

                  On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                  > Hi Joe,
                  >
                  > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Chris

                • markk
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
                    Hi Ken,

                    I know that you were directing your question to Chris, but I can also answer this. I use ASIO4All V2 drivers and Hindenburg Journalist also. They mesh just fine. I use an MXL 009 USB mic along with Hindenburg.

                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Chris,
                    > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                    > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                    > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
                    >
                    > Kenn
                    > --
                    > http://podiorookie.com
                    > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
                    >

                    > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                    > > Hi Joe,
                    > >
                    > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                    > >
                    > > Best,
                    > > Chris

                  • Kenn Crawford
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 21, 2012
                      Thanks for the speedy reply Mark.
                      I have ASIO4ALL v2 installed already so something is not quite right.
                      Time to play with it some more and figure it out because the software
                      looks really cool.
                      Thanks again,
                      Kenn
                      --

                    • chrismottes@rocketmail.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 24, 2012
                        Thanks for chiming in Mark :). Kenn, if you are having problems getting it to work with Hindy, you are welcome to write to support@... for help.
                        Best, Chris

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 24, 2012
                          I do believe it's a driver issue, I noticed the usb port has been acting
                          up. I was planning to wipe the drive and do a clean install of windows
                          in the near future so why not bump up that schedule, start fresh and
                          take Hindy for a run? I will keep you posted.
                          Thanks Chris and Mark.

                          -Kenn

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                            Hi Kenn,

                            To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
                            not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
                            monitoring using WASAPI.

                            We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
                            Can you mention some examples?

                            Best regards, Chris

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford <kenn@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Chris,
                            > Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                            > mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                            > latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
                            >
                            > Kenn
                            > --
                            > http://podiorookie.com
                            > The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
                            >

                            > On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                            > > Hi Joe,
                            > >
                            > > Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                            > >
                            > > Best,
                            > > Chris

                          • Kenn Crawford
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 25, 2012
                              Hi Chris,
                              The USB mic themselves do not come with ASIO drivers. Some mics, like
                              the Blue Yeti, have a built-in headphone jack and volume control for
                              latency-free monitoring (I haven't tested that mic.) Other mics, like
                              the Avid Vocal Producer USB, have an headphone jack but no volume
                              control because it is controlled by software. As such the latency can be
                              bad. That mic I did own and returned. I am currently using the AT2020
                              USB mic (no built-in headphone jack.)

                              I am using an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface as my monitoring device
                              but I am not getting any sound. I can select the AT2020 as the recording
                              device and it works great, I just can't hear anything. I can see the
                              levels and can listen to it on playback just fine, but I can't monitor
                              it while I am recording.

                              Both Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine allows me to monitor the AT2020
                              through the M-Audio.
                              In Audacity there is an option for software play-through but with
                              latency that is distracting. It's more tolerable on my old Mac.
                              In Kristal Audio Engine there is a section that allows me to select the
                              ASIO control panel (I am using ASIO4ALL) and I can monitor the AT2020
                              via the M-Audio no problem. The ASIO4ALL install allows me to virtually
                              eliminate the latency. But I can't for some reason seem to be able to
                              monitor myself using Hindy.

                              I played around with the Profiler feature and it was cool - I could of
                              used that feature when I was recording an episode with a cold and
                              scratchy throat :)

                              I would like to see some indicators on the input control - I'd rather
                              not approximate where my mic gain was set for different mics. I haven't
                              really given Hindy a run for it's money yet because I can't hear myself.
                              As a side note, I could always use one of my dynamic mics and directly
                              monitor it using the m-audio direct monitor switch and give Hindy a test
                              run that way, but I want to be able to record, edit and produce a full
                              episode of my podcast using just Hindy and for that I use a USB mic.

                              Kenn

                              On 6/25/2012 5:01 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                              > Hi Kenn,
                              >
                              > To give you an answer approved by my CTO ;): Hindenburg does currently
                              > not have support for ASIO, but It does have pretty low latency
                              > monitoring using WASAPI.
                              >
                              > We have not seen any USB microphones that come with an ASIO driver.
                              > Can you mention some examples?
                              >
                              > Best regards, Chris
                              >
                              > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kenn Crawford<kenn@...> wrote:
                              >> Hi Chris,
                              >> Does Hindenburg Journalist support ASIO drivers for USB mics? Some USB
                              >> mics have direct monitoring built-in to them but most do not, and the
                              >> latency can make monitoring unbearable without using ASIO drivers.
                              >>
                              >> Kenn
                              >> --
                              >> http://podiorookie.com
                              >> The Podcast about Making a Podcast Novel
                              >>

                              >> On 21/06/2012 10:57 AM, chrismottes@... wrote:
                              >>> Hi Joe,
                              >>>
                              >>> Noticed you mentioned working over Skype with your Co-host - have you looked at Hindenburg Journalist Pro (hindenburgsystems.com/products/hindenburg-journalist-pro - full disclosure I'm a partner) with built-in Skype recording, including line-in option for your mic? Might be an alternative option?
                              >>>
                              >>> Best,
                              >>> Chris

                            • Chris Mottes
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 26, 2012
                                Hi Kenn,

                                To enable monitoring in Hindenburg, right click the "record arm" button and you should be able to hear yourself through the M-Audio.

                                In Hindenburg you do not need to set your mic gain at precisely the same point every time, the Auto Level function will ensure that the average level of each take is the same.

                                Best, Chris
                              • Kenn Crawford
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 28, 2012
                                  Hi Chris,

                                  That doesn't work. Not sure why but it's not calling up the ASIO4ALL
                                  driver like it's supposed or any driver that wil allow me to monitor a
                                  USB mic. Weird. Probably a computer glitch on my end. Anyway, I'm going
                                  to switch to a dynamic mic for my next podcast episode and record it
                                  with Hindenburg way.

                                  Regards,
                                  Kenn