Re: [podcasters] Digital recorders for podcasting?

  • Kevin Bachelder
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2012
      On May 8, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Sam Chupp <sam@...> wrote:

      > I second the recommendation on the Zoom! Mine is golden.

      I've got an Zoom H2 that I use to record interviews and discussion
      panels at Dragon*Con. Words very well.

      Good luck,

      Kevin

      -----

      Fan of Science Fiction or Fantasy?
      If so you might enjoy listening to these podcasts...

      Tuning in to SciFi TV (covering all genre TV shows)
      http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

      Saturday B Movie Reel (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
      http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com
    • Donald
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2012
        I use my iPhone to record lectures and seminars. The microphone is quite good.

        You might also look at www.spreaker.com. Their iPhone or Android app allows you to broadcast live or record a podcast on the go. Again, the sound quality on the iPhone is very good. I don't have an Android so I can't offer a similar opinion about which models have or do not have a good microphone.

        Donald

        www.thefreecoo.com

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:

        > Hello again, you guys have been a great help with your microphone suggestions, I thought I'd ask for more advice. If it's not too much trouble that is.
        > I am thinking of getting a digital voice recorder and I am looking for something that would match my needs.
        > Would such a thing be suitable for podcast recording? Could I hook up a clip-on mic to it and use it "on the go"?
        > It should also be able to record my classes (huge classroom, sitting in a random location).
        >
        > The hardware part.
        > I'm kind of torn between these two, yet I'm no good with audio hardware, so I don't know which one is better.
        >
        > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-voice-recorder/dp/B004SO9604/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237646&sr=8-2
        >
        > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VN-8600PC-Digital-recorder-display/dp/B003W296LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411178&sr=8-1
        >
        > As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?
        >
        > I have done a little bit of research, but that's not really enough to make a decision, I hope you could help out with that.
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        > Vaidas B.

      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2012
          I've been using a Zoom H4 since they first came out and love it. I've
          recorded dozens of interviews at conferences using external mics.

          Martin

          Martin McKeay
          CISSP, recovering QSA
          Network Security Blog and Podcast
          http://www.mckeay.net
          http://netsecpodcast.com
          Twitter: @McKeay
          Cell: 707-495-7926

          "mount -t /coffee /proc/awake /dev/brain" returns "mount : cannot find
          filesystem /dev/brain"

          "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will
          be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - Richard Clarke

          On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Donald <don@...> wrote:

          > I use my iPhone to record lectures and seminars. The microphone is quite
          > good.
          >
          > You might also look at www.spreaker.com. Their iPhone or Android app
          > allows you to broadcast live or record a podcast on the go. Again, the
          > sound quality on the iPhone is very good. I don't have an Android so I
          > can't offer a similar opinion about which models have or do not have a good
          > microphone.
          >
          > Donald
          >
          > www.thefreecoo.com
          >

          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello again, you guys have been a great help with your microphone
          > suggestions, I thought I'd ask for more advice. If it's not too much
          > trouble that is.
          > > I am thinking of getting a digital voice recorder and I am looking for
          > something that would match my needs.
          > > Would such a thing be suitable for podcast recording? Could I hook up a
          > clip-on mic to it and use it "on the go"?
          > > It should also be able to record my classes (huge classroom, sitting in
          > a random location).
          > >
          > > The hardware part.
          > > I'm kind of torn between these two, yet I'm no good with audio hardware,
          > so I don't know which one is better.
          > >

          > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-voice-recorder/dp/B004SO9604/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237646&sr=8-2
          > >

          > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VN-8600PC-Digital-recorder-display/dp/B003W296LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411178&sr=8-1
          > >
          > > As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned
          > into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their
          > sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?
          > >
          > > I have done a little bit of research, but that's not really enough to
          > make a decision, I hope you could help out with that.
          > >
          > > Thank you for your time,
          > > Vaidas B.

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2012
            I swear by my Zoom H4N. Very versatile. I've used it to record shows at
            night clubs, used it as a preamp for my XLR microphone recording into my
            laptop pc, used it as a recorder for output from my mixer and I've used it
            to tap into the mixing board at the radio station where I DJ. The XLR and
            1/4" inputs are very helpful. The built in mics should be able to handle
            your class. Just make sure you have atuo gain on.