Digital recorders for podcasting?

  • Waidux
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2012
      Hello again, you guys have been a great help with your microphone suggestions, I thought I'd ask for more advice. If it's not too much trouble that is.
      I am thinking of getting a digital voice recorder and I am looking for something that would match my needs.
      Would such a thing be suitable for podcast recording? Could I hook up a clip-on mic to it and use it "on the go"?
      It should also be able to record my classes (huge classroom, sitting in a random location).

      The hardware part.
      I'm kind of torn between these two, yet I'm no good with audio hardware, so I don't know which one is better.

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-voice-recorder/dp/B004SO9604/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237646&sr=8-2

      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VN-8600PC-Digital-recorder-display/dp/B003W296LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411178&sr=8-1

      As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?

      I have done a little bit of research, but that's not really enough to make a decision, I hope you could help out with that.

      Thank you for your time,
      Vaidas B.
    • Tee Morris
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2012
        On May 7, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Waidux wrote:

        > As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?

        For myself, I have always recommended to podcasters the following two digital recorders, built by the people at Zoom:

        http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2N-H2n-Handy-Recorder/dp/B005CQ2ZY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336412947&sr=8-1

        http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001QWBM62/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1336412992&sr=1-1

        Both of these devices I swear by. The H2 series is the all-in-one option for the podcaster as it offers itself as a fantastic portable recorder, but can also double as a quality USB microphone. The H2n also has the ability to do full 360-degree recording, so you can literally place it in the center of a table and capture those sitting around the table or everyone in the room.

        The H4n differs from the H2n in a variety of ways but the most notable is expandability. The H4n doubles as a pre-amp so you can plug into the XLR outputs higher quality microphones. With four channels, you literally have a mixer built into the H4n, allowing you a variety of recording options. I'm partial to the H4n for all these reasons, and recommend it if you have the cash set aside. If not, the H2n will serve you well in the field.

        Good luck, and good recording.

        All my best,

        Tee Morris
        author, blogger, podcaster
        http://www.teemorris.com

        Follow me on Twitter at http://www.teemorris.com/TeeMonster

        -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

        PHOENIX RISING: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
        Winner of the 2011 Airship Award for Best Steampunk Literature
        Now 99¢ for eReaders everywhere

        THE JANUS AFFAIR: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
        coming in 2012 from Harper Voyager Books

        Find out more at http://ministryofpecliaroccurrences.com

      • Sam Chupp
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2012
          I second the recommendation on the Zoom! Mine is golden.

          On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Tee Morris <tee@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On May 7, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Waidux wrote:
          >
          > > As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned
          > into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their
          > sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?
          >
          > For myself, I have always recommended to podcasters the following two
          > digital recorders, built by the people at Zoom:
          >

          > http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2N-H2n-Handy-Recorder/dp/B005CQ2ZY6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336412947&sr=8-1
          >

          > http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001QWBM62/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1336412992&sr=1-1
          >
          > Both of these devices I swear by. The H2 series is the all-in-one option
          > for the podcaster as it offers itself as a fantastic portable recorder, but
          > can also double as a quality USB microphone. The H2n also has the ability
          > to do full 360-degree recording, so you can literally place it in the
          > center of a table and capture those sitting around the table or everyone in
          > the room.
          >
          > The H4n differs from the H2n in a variety of ways but the most notable is
          > expandability. The H4n doubles as a pre-amp so you can plug into the XLR
          > outputs higher quality microphones. With four channels, you literally have
          > a mixer built into the H4n, allowing you a variety of recording options.
          > I'm partial to the H4n for all these reasons, and recommend it if you have
          > the cash set aside. If not, the H2n will serve you well in the field.
          >
          > Good luck, and good recording.
          >
          > All my best,
          >
          > Tee Morris
          > author, blogger, podcaster
          > http://www.teemorris.com
          >
          > Follow me on Twitter at http://www.teemorris.com/TeeMonster
          >
          > -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
          >
          > PHOENIX RISING: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
          > Winner of the 2011 Airship Award for Best Steampunk Literature
          > Now 99� for eReaders everywhere
          >
          > THE JANUS AFFAIR: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel
          > coming in 2012 from Harper Voyager Books
          >
          > Find out more at http://ministryofpecliaroccurrences.com

          Sam Chupp
          http://samchupp.com
          LJ: http://sambear.livejournal.com
          Podcasts: http://fireheartfoundry.com
          Novel: http://heartofthehunter.com

        • Kevin Bachelder
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2012
            On May 8, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Sam Chupp <sam@...> wrote:

            > I second the recommendation on the Zoom! Mine is golden.

            I've got an Zoom H2 that I use to record interviews and discussion
            panels at Dragon*Con. Words very well.

            Good luck,

            Kevin

            -----

            Fan of Science Fiction or Fantasy?
            If so you might enjoy listening to these podcasts...

            Tuning in to SciFi TV (covering all genre TV shows)
            http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

            Saturday B Movie Reel (covering Syfy channel & other B movies)
            http://www.saturdaybmoviereel.com
          • Donald
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2012
              I use my iPhone to record lectures and seminars. The microphone is quite good.

              You might also look at www.spreaker.com. Their iPhone or Android app allows you to broadcast live or record a podcast on the go. Again, the sound quality on the iPhone is very good. I don't have an Android so I can't offer a similar opinion about which models have or do not have a good microphone.

              Donald

              www.thefreecoo.com

              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:

              > Hello again, you guys have been a great help with your microphone suggestions, I thought I'd ask for more advice. If it's not too much trouble that is.
              > I am thinking of getting a digital voice recorder and I am looking for something that would match my needs.
              > Would such a thing be suitable for podcast recording? Could I hook up a clip-on mic to it and use it "on the go"?
              > It should also be able to record my classes (huge classroom, sitting in a random location).
              >
              > The hardware part.
              > I'm kind of torn between these two, yet I'm no good with audio hardware, so I don't know which one is better.
              >
              > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-voice-recorder/dp/B004SO9604/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237646&sr=8-2
              >
              > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VN-8600PC-Digital-recorder-display/dp/B003W296LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411178&sr=8-1
              >
              > As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?
              >
              > I have done a little bit of research, but that's not really enough to make a decision, I hope you could help out with that.
              >
              > Thank you for your time,
              > Vaidas B.

            • Martin McKeay
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2012
                I've been using a Zoom H4 since they first came out and love it. I've
                recorded dozens of interviews at conferences using external mics.

                Martin

                Martin McKeay
                CISSP, recovering QSA
                Network Security Blog and Podcast
                http://www.mckeay.net
                http://netsecpodcast.com
                Twitter: @McKeay
                Cell: 707-495-7926

                "mount -t /coffee /proc/awake /dev/brain" returns "mount : cannot find
                filesystem /dev/brain"

                "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will
                be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - Richard Clarke

                On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Donald <don@...> wrote:

                > I use my iPhone to record lectures and seminars. The microphone is quite
                > good.
                >
                > You might also look at www.spreaker.com. Their iPhone or Android app
                > allows you to broadcast live or record a podcast on the go. Again, the
                > sound quality on the iPhone is very good. I don't have an Android so I
                > can't offer a similar opinion about which models have or do not have a good
                > microphone.
                >
                > Donald
                >
                > www.thefreecoo.com
                >

                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello again, you guys have been a great help with your microphone
                > suggestions, I thought I'd ask for more advice. If it's not too much
                > trouble that is.
                > > I am thinking of getting a digital voice recorder and I am looking for
                > something that would match my needs.
                > > Would such a thing be suitable for podcast recording? Could I hook up a
                > clip-on mic to it and use it "on the go"?
                > > It should also be able to record my classes (huge classroom, sitting in
                > a random location).
                > >
                > > The hardware part.
                > > I'm kind of torn between these two, yet I'm no good with audio hardware,
                > so I don't know which one is better.
                > >

                > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICD-PX312-Digital-voice-recorder/dp/B004SO9604/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336237646&sr=8-2
                > >

                > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-VN-8600PC-Digital-recorder-display/dp/B003W296LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336411178&sr=8-1
                > >
                > > As far as external features go, some recorders have their mics aligned
                > into an X formation, some spread out into a Y, some have mics at their
                > sides. Which ones are better for my intended uses?
                > >
                > > I have done a little bit of research, but that's not really enough to
                > make a decision, I hope you could help out with that.
                > >
                > > Thank you for your time,
                > > Vaidas B.

              • Calvin Powers
                Message 7 of 7 , May 15, 2012
                  I swear by my Zoom H4N. Very versatile. I've used it to record shows at
                  night clubs, used it as a preamp for my XLR microphone recording into my
                  laptop pc, used it as a recorder for output from my mixer and I've used it
                  to tap into the mixing board at the radio station where I DJ. The XLR and
                  1/4" inputs are very helpful. The built in mics should be able to handle
                  your class. Just make sure you have atuo gain on.