Re: [podcasters] Video editing software?

  • Michael Sitarzewski
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 6, 2012
      Have you looked at this as a start?

      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started

      On Apr 6, 2012, at 5:46 PM, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:

      > Hey folks!
      >
      > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
      > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
      >
      > --
      > ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
      >
      > It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams
      >
      > Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
      >
      > Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion available through Wolfsinger Publications.
      >
      > Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

    • markk
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 6, 2012
        I think that the best you can do is LightWorks http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

        This is a very powerful program which was used to make many famous Hollywood films that you would be familiar with.A couple of years ago the company was bought and the new owners decided to go open source with the product and create a community of users. The program is free and does work with Windows.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:

        > Hey folks!
        >
        > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
        > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
        >
        > --
        > ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
        >
        > It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams
        >
        > Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
        >
        > Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion available through Wolfsinger Publications.
        >
        > Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 9, 2012
          The one I'm keeping an eye on is Lightworks <http://www.lightworksbeta.com/>.
          It's got kind of a wonky user interface. Be sure to check out the video
          tutorials for it on you tube. Also check out the forum and support tabs on
          the home page for pointers to documentation etc.

          Calvin.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 9, 2012
            I have some inside info on a cloud based video editor that's about to hit the market.

            It's going to make downloaded software seem silly (think real-time collaboration, shared originals, etc.). I've seen it evolve over the last three months.

            Check out http://vidmaker.com/

            They're pals of mine in the TechStars Cloud program!

            --
            Michael Sitarzewski
            CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.

            Real-time engagement analytics for media creators and distributors.

            On Apr 9, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

            > The one I'm keeping an eye on is Lightworks <http://www.lightworksbeta.com/>.
            > It's got kind of a wonky user interface. Be sure to check out the video
            > tutorials for it on you tube. Also check out the forum and support tabs on
            > the home page for pointers to documentation etc.
            >
            > Calvin.
            >
            > On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hey folks!
            > >
            > > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
            > > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
            > >
            > > --
            > > ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
            > >
            > > It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
            > > potatoes -- Douglas Adams
            > >
            > > Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
            > >
            > > Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press
            > > and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion
            > > available through Wolfsinger Publications.
            > >
            > > Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

          • Todd Cochrane
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2012
              Michael

              Challenges with Cloud Editing

              -Source Video is big my average 1080p master recording if 8-10 GB.
              -Time to upload Source time consuming
              -Cost to process multiple output formats expensive

              With a Mac Pro it takes me 1 hour to produce 3 master videos.
              1280/720 1.8gb
              640/360 800mb
              320/240 375mb
              Total Upload time of 3 mater videos 60 minutes. Total end to end editing
              time just over 2 hours. With Cloud computing I would still be uploading
              the master file that would be used to edit it..

              Cloud editing in my opinion will not replace desktop editing anytime
              soon for those with video projects that are more than 10 minutes long.

              Todd.

              On 4/9/2012 4:37 PM, Michael Sitarzewski wrote:
              > I have some inside info on a cloud based video editor that's about to hit the market.
              >
              > It's going to make downloaded software seem silly (think real-time collaboration, shared originals, etc.). I've seen it evolve over the last three months.
              >
              > Check out http://vidmaker.com/
              >
              > They're pals of mine in the TechStars Cloud program!
              >
              > --
              > Michael Sitarzewski
              > CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.
              > http://callisto.fm
              >

              > Real-time engagement analytics for media creators and distributors.
              >

              > On Apr 9, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Calvin Powers<calvin@...> wrote:
              >
              >> The one I'm keeping an eye on is Lightworks<http://www.lightworksbeta.com/>.
              >> It's got kind of a wonky user interface. Be sure to check out the video
              >> tutorials for it on you tube. Also check out the forum and support tabs on
              >> the home page for pointers to documentation etc.
              >>
              >> Calvin.
              >>
              >> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Maggie Bonham<skywarrior3@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hey folks!
              >>>
              >>> I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
              >>> Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
              >>>
              >>> --
              >>> ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
              >>>
              >>> It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
              >>> potatoes -- Douglas Adams
              >>>
              >>> Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
              >>>
              >>> Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press
              >>> and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion
              >>> available through Wolfsinger Publications.
              >>>
              >>> Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

              >> --

            • Patrick McNa...
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 13, 2012
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:

                > Hey folks!
                >
                > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
                > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!

                Giveawayoftheday.com has Wondershare Video Studio Express today (Apr. 13th), although you have to download and activate it before the end of the day.
              • Michael Sitarzewski
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 16, 2012
                  They're hitting that 10 minute sweet spot head on.

                  As technology improves (as does bandwidth) this will be a great solution for the professional crowd - it's already on their radar.

                  The trick is in the implementation and the direct relationship between the browser and the service.