Strange buzzing

  • Waidux
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
      Hey guys, first off, I'm sorry if I screwed up posting this, this is my first time using yahoo groups.
      I'm sort of new at podcasting and what not, this stuff is really interesting, but I ran into some problems before I could even do anything fun. When I record audio, the background picks up a very strange buzz (static noise, sounds like I'm next to a waterfall or something). I've uploaded a silent sample (no talking, just silence). Any idea on what that is? And perhaps how to fix it?
      Off-topic question - English isn't my main language, so I have a slight accent, and I feel very strange listening to my own voice, any tips on how to deal with that?

      Headset:
      https://rapidshare.com/files/3234387890/Silent_test__simple_headset_.mp3

      Condenser:
      https://rapidshare.com/files/1919968731/Silent_test__condenser_.mp3

      Thank you for your time,
      Vaidas B.
    • andrew clarke
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
        On Tue 2012-04-03 12:12:43 UTC-0000, Waidux (b.waidux@...) wrote:

        > Hey guys, first off, I'm sorry if I screwed up posting this, this is
        > my first time using yahoo groups.

        Your message is fine!

        > I'm sort of new at podcasting and what not, this stuff is really
        > interesting, but I ran into some problems before I could even do
        > anything fun. When I record audio, the background picks up a very
        > strange buzz (static noise, sounds like I'm next to a waterfall or
        > something). I've uploaded a silent sample (no talking, just silence).
        > Any idea on what that is? And perhaps how to fix it?

        I don't really hear much wrong with your sample files. There is some
        background noise but you will almost always get a small amount. It's
        difficult to say though with just silence. Maybe you could upload a
        sample of your voice?

        > Off-topic question - English isn't my main language, so I have a
        > slight accent, and I feel very strange listening to my own voice, any
        > tips on how to deal with that?

        If you hear it often enough (eg. while editing) you should become more
        accustomed to hearing it. So just give it time, I think.

        > Headset:
        > https://rapidshare.com/files/3234387890/Silent_test__simple_headset_.mp3
        >
        > Condenser:
        > https://rapidshare.com/files/1919968731/Silent_test__condenser_.mp3
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        > Vaidas B.

        Regards
        Andrew
      • Waidux
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
          Fairly important fact I left out, I'm using a laptop about seven months old. (Asus K53E)Also the background noise is annoying. I'd like to get it up to decent quality. Normally I'd use audacity to clear it out, but it either doesn't fully clean the audio, or it distorts my voice.
          As for the recording with my voice in it, I'll upload one later as I'm not at home right now. Thank you for the replies.
        • tapeleg
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hey Vaidas -

            One thing that would help is knowing what your setup actually is. Are you plugging in to the 1/8" jack on the side of the computer? Going through a USB audio interface? If you can provide a few details, that might help.

            As for your voice, one thing I suggest is to listen to an episode of This American Life, or at least the first part of one. The host, Ira Glass, sounds nothing like what a radio host "should" sound like. And it's one of the most popular radio shows in America. That's one of the things I love about NPR, the people just sound like themselves. Your accent may make you unique, and that's a great thing. I get told that I have a good voice for radio, and when I hear it, I feel like I'm a bit nasal. But that's just me.

            The more you podcast, the easier it will be to listen to your own voice. I wouldn't worry about it. There are enough things in life to be self conscious about. :-)

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
              It's hard to give an exact diagnosis without knowing your full toolchain and what settings you're using where, but from what you've said I think I can offer a few general tips:

              1.) You don't mention whether your headset and condenser mic are USB or whether you're just plugging them into the "Mic" jack on your laptop. If they're analog, and if the noise is similar on both, I'd suspect the laptop. Most computers' built-in sound chips are the cheapest possible, and the mic jacks have lousy amps and aren't well-shielded against the electrical noise of the rest of the computer. Moving the sound capture out of the laptop is a good first step. If you have a good studio mic and love it, get a mixer with USB out or a dedicated digitizer. If not, there are good "studio" style USB microphones in the $80-$100 range (in the US); the Blue Snowball and Samson C01 are both well-regarded. You can also get decent USB headsets from Logitech and other companies for about half that price.

              2.) Laptop fan noise is also something to think about. Pay attention to whether the laptop's running loud, and if it is, just move it further away or under your desk or something. And obviously turn off any air conditioning, don't record in your kitchen near the refrigerator, etc.

              3.) Whatever controls you have for gain (that's the input version of volume), in hardware or software, make sure they're at moderate settings. No amplifier is ever happy at maximum. Play with it a while, speaking normally and recording yourself at different gain settings, until you find a signal-to-noise ratio that sounds decent.

              4.) Noise reduction is likewise best used sparingly, and only when you have to. There's better software for it than the built-in function in Audacity, but even Audacity's can be all right if you keep it at low settings and focus on reducing, not eliminating. It's a scalpel, not a chainsaw.

              As was already said, you'll never get rid of all noise. You could get pretty close to that goal, if you had a real sound studio and high-end gear, but on a starter budget it's neither practical nor necessary. What really matters is whether your voice is clear and legible enough above the noise. If you can get to that point, it's fine to relax and focus on what you're saying. >8-> You'll learn more as you keep doing your podcast, and if you're still putting out episodes in a few months to a year, you know you're serious and start to buy better hardware or software then.

              Good luck!

              Have Fun,
              Steve Eley

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                Hello, right now I'm using the standard 3.5mm jack (1/8"). As I said before I'm just using my laptop - Asus K53E (kinda lame, but I just started, guess I need to gear up).
                To make sure that it's not the AC, I disconnect. I also turn off every single piece of electrical equipment in my room. I have considered getting an external sound card, but most manufacturers emphasize on sound output, so finding one is hard (even if I do, there are always mixed reviews). As for the USB thing, what difference would it make? How do the two compare (quality wise)

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@...> wrote:

                > Hey Vaidas -
                >
                > One thing that would help is knowing what your setup actually is. Are you plugging in to the 1/8" jack on the side of the computer? Going through a USB audio interface? If you can provide a few details, that might help.
                >
                > As for your voice, one thing I suggest is to listen to an episode of This American Life, or at least the first part of one. The host, Ira Glass, sounds nothing like what a radio host "should" sound like. And it's one of the most popular radio shows in America. That's one of the things I love about NPR, the people just sound like themselves. Your accent may make you unique, and that's a great thing. I get told that I have a good voice for radio, and when I hear it, I feel like I'm a bit nasal. But that's just me.
                >
                > The more you podcast, the easier it will be to listen to your own voice. I wouldn't worry about it. There are enough things in life to be self conscious about. :-)
                >
                > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey guys, first off, I'm sorry if I screwed up posting this, this is my first time using yahoo groups.
                > > I'm sort of new at podcasting and what not, this stuff is really interesting, but I ran into some problems before I could even do anything fun. When I record audio, the background picks up a very strange buzz (static noise, sounds like I'm next to a waterfall or something). I've uploaded a silent sample (no talking, just silence). Any idea on what that is? And perhaps how to fix it?
                > > Off-topic question - English isn't my main language, so I have a slight accent, and I feel very strange listening to my own voice, any tips on how to deal with that?
                > >
                > > Headset:
                > > https://rapidshare.com/files/3234387890/Silent_test__simple_headset_.mp3
                > >
                > > Condenser:
                > > https://rapidshare.com/files/1919968731/Silent_test__condenser_.mp3
                > >
                > > Thank you for your time,
                > > Vaidas B.

              • tapeleg
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                  What kind of microphone are you using? You said it was a condenser microphone, and those require a little power (called phantom power) to run. It's highly possible that the power being provided by your computer's 1/8" jack isn't enough to power the mic properly.

                  1/8" jacks are notoriously noisy. They are inside the computer, next to the hard drive (big noise maker) and every other bit of processing packed as tightly as possible to get every inch of space and speed. Basically, they are the option of last resort, perhaps only slightly better than the built in microphone on the computer.

                  If it were the AC, you would have a more static and even buzz, closer to 60Hz. This is usually from a ground loop, where two pieces of gear are plugged in to each other, and the power from the wall, in a way that the ground is shared and makes a circle (hence a ground 'loop'). But again, this is a static buzz, not a pulsing. I suspect your 1/8" jack is your problem.

                  As for a USB card, they are the way to go. It all depends on your budget, but there are some fine budget models out there. I posted an article on what to look for in a USB audio interface here (http://www.podgeek.com/2011/04/what-to-look-for-in-a-audio-in-out-box/). I think you will be much happier with something like that.

                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:

                  > Hello, right now I'm using the standard 3.5mm jack (1/8"). As I said before I'm just using my laptop - Asus K53E (kinda lame, but I just started, guess I need to gear up).
                  > To make sure that it's not the AC, I disconnect. I also turn off every single piece of electrical equipment in my room. I have considered getting an external sound card, but most manufacturers emphasize on sound output, so finding one is hard (even if I do, there are always mixed reviews). As for the USB thing, what difference would it make? How do the two compare (quality wise)
                  >
                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey Vaidas -
                  > >
                  > > One thing that would help is knowing what your setup actually is. Are you plugging in to the 1/8" jack on the side of the computer? Going through a USB audio interface? If you can provide a few details, that might help.
                  > >
                  > > As for your voice, one thing I suggest is to listen to an episode of This American Life, or at least the first part of one. The host, Ira Glass, sounds nothing like what a radio host "should" sound like. And it's one of the most popular radio shows in America. That's one of the things I love about NPR, the people just sound like themselves. Your accent may make you unique, and that's a great thing. I get told that I have a good voice for radio, and when I hear it, I feel like I'm a bit nasal. But that's just me.
                  > >
                  > > The more you podcast, the easier it will be to listen to your own voice. I wouldn't worry about it. There are enough things in life to be self conscious about. :-)
                  > >
                  > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hey guys, first off, I'm sorry if I screwed up posting this, this is my first time using yahoo groups.
                  > > > I'm sort of new at podcasting and what not, this stuff is really interesting, but I ran into some problems before I could even do anything fun. When I record audio, the background picks up a very strange buzz (static noise, sounds like I'm next to a waterfall or something). I've uploaded a silent sample (no talking, just silence). Any idea on what that is? And perhaps how to fix it?
                  > > > Off-topic question - English isn't my main language, so I have a slight accent, and I feel very strange listening to my own voice, any tips on how to deal with that?
                  > > >
                  > > > Headset:
                  > > > https://rapidshare.com/files/3234387890/Silent_test__simple_headset_.mp3
                  > > >
                  > > > Condenser:
                  > > > https://rapidshare.com/files/1919968731/Silent_test__condenser_.mp3
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you for your time,
                  > > > Vaidas B.

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                    On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 15:34 +0000, Waidux wrote:

                    If you are plugging any of the devices into different electrical
                    outlets, that could be an issue. They might be wired to different legs
                    of your 220 volt electrical entrance. Make sure everything is plugged
                    into the same outlet.

                    Rich...

                  • markk
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                      Using the 1/8 audio jacks on your computer is really the worst idea, especially on a laptop because the cheapest sound cards are used. You should just use a USB microphone, which completely bypasses your sound card. They have a built in digital converter, so the signal coming in through the USB is ready to go. I would recommend the following mic to start with: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2100-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B004QJOZS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333471272&sr=8-1
                      It is an Audio Technica ATR 2100 USB Microphone with both USB and XLR connections. Additionally it is a dynamic mic which will be better in terms of not picking up a lot of background noise. The mic cost about $52. Don't get a USB headset microphone because this will certainly be only an interim step for you due to sound quality. At least this mic can be used later if you get a mixer, or alone with USB

> [...]
                      > > >
                      > > > As for your voice, one thing I suggest is to listen to an episode of This American Life, or at least the first part of one. The host, Ira Glass, sounds nothing like what a radio host "should" sound like. And it's one of the most popular radio shows in America. That's one of the things I love about NPR, the people just sound like themselves. Your accent may make you unique, and that's a great thing. I get told that I have a good voice for radio, and when I hear it, I feel like I'm a bit nasal. But that's just me.
                      > > >
                      > > > The more you podcast, the easier it will be to listen to your own voice. I wouldn't worry about it. There are enough things in life to be self conscious about. :-)

                    • Waidux
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                        Actually, I think I'll be getting the Audio Technica ATR2500 USB http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333475584&sr=8-1 Would this be enough? It does seem to be a little too cheap, but the reviews are all good.

                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "markk" <markkelleher@...> wrote:

                        > Using the 1/8 audio jacks on your computer is really the worst idea, especially on a laptop because the cheapest sound cards are used. You should just use a USB microphone, which completely bypasses your sound card. They have a built in digital converter, so the signal coming in through the USB is ready to go. I would recommend the following mic to start with: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2100-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B004QJOZS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333471272&sr=8-1
                        > It is an Audio Technica ATR 2100 USB Microphone with both USB and XLR connections. Additionally it is a dynamic mic which will be better in terms of not picking up a lot of background noise. The mic cost about $52. Don't get a USB headset microphone because this will certainly be only an interim step for you due to sound quality. At least this mic can be used later if you get a mixer, or alone with USB
                        >
                        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > What kind of microphone are you using? You said it was a condenser microphone, and those require a little power (called phantom power) to run. It's highly possible that the power being provided by your computer's 1/8" jack isn't enough to power the mic properly.
                        > >
                        > > 1/8" jacks are notoriously noisy. They are inside the computer, next to the hard drive (big noise maker) and every other bit of processing packed as tightly as possible to get every inch of space and speed. Basically, they are the option of last resort, perhaps only slightly better than the built in microphone on the computer.
                        > >
                        > > If it were the AC, you would have a more static and even buzz, closer to 60Hz. This is usually from a ground loop, where two pieces of gear are plugged in to each other, and the power from the wall, in a way that the ground is shared and makes a circle (hence a ground 'loop'). But again, this is a static buzz, not a pulsing. I suspect your 1/8" jack is your problem.
                        > >
                        > > As for a USB card, they are the way to go. It all depends on your budget, but there are some fine budget models out there. I posted an article on what to look for in a USB audio interface here (http://www.podgeek.com/2011/04/what-to-look-for-in-a-audio-in-out-box/). I think you will be much happier with something like that.
                        > >

                        > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hello, right now I'm using the standard 3.5mm jack (1/8"). As I said before I'm just using my laptop - Asus K53E (kinda lame, but I just started, guess I need to gear up).
                        > > > To make sure that it's not the AC, I disconnect. I also turn off every single piece of electrical equipment in my room. I have considered getting an external sound card, but most manufacturers emphasize on sound output, so finding one is hard (even if I do, there are always mixed reviews). As for the USB thing, what difference would it make? How do the two compare (quality wise)

                      • markk
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3, 2012
                          There are actually very few reviews of the Audio Technica ATR 2500 or the ATR 2100 which I suggested. They were both only introduced last Fall. The ATR 2500 has zero latency with the headphone jack, which was unfortunately missing from their other USB Condenser mic. On both mics there are only 2 to 3 ratings due to their young age; not enough to be meaningful. The ATR 2500 will pick up more background noise because it is a condenser mic, but this is up to you to decide. I bought two of the ATR 2100 dynamic mics, but they are waiting for me at my place in the States (I live and work from Russia) and I won't have a chance to check these out, along with a bunch of other new toys,including a new mixer, until I go there this summer, so I can't speak from experience with this model.
                          I have and use what I feel is the best USB mic., which is the MXL 009 USB, which you can hear on my podcast here: http://www.markinrussia.com any recent episode will be using this mic and without any post processing, but the price is higher at $290 on Amazon.

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:

                          > Actually, I think I'll be getting the Audio Technica ATR2500 USB http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333475584&sr=8-1 Would this be enough? It does seem to be a little too cheap, but the reviews are all good.
                          >
                          > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "markk" <markkelleher@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Using the 1/8 audio jacks on your computer is really the worst idea, especially on a laptop because the cheapest sound cards are used. You should just use a USB microphone, which completely bypasses your sound card. They have a built in digital converter, so the signal coming in through the USB is ready to go. I would recommend the following mic to start with: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2100-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B004QJOZS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333471272&sr=8-1
                          > > It is an Audio Technica ATR 2100 USB Microphone with both USB and XLR connections. Additionally it is a dynamic mic which will be better in terms of not picking up a lot of background noise. The mic cost about $52. Don't get a USB headset microphone because this will certainly be only an interim step for you due to sound quality. At least this mic can be used later if you get a mixer, or alone with USB
                          > >
                          > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "tapeleg" <tapeleg@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > What kind of microphone are you using? You said it was a condenser microphone, and those require a little power (called phantom power) to run. It's highly possible that the power being provided by your computer's 1/8" jack isn't enough to power the mic properly.
                          > > >
                          > > > 1/8" jacks are notoriously noisy. They are inside the computer, next to the hard drive (big noise maker) and every other bit of processing packed as tightly as possible to get every inch of space and speed. Basically, they are the option of last resort, perhaps only slightly better than the built in microphone on the computer.
                          > > >
                          > > > If it were the AC, you would have a more static and even buzz, closer to 60Hz. This is usually from a ground loop, where two pieces of gear are plugged in to each other, and the power from the wall, in a way that the ground is shared and makes a circle (hence a ground 'loop'). But again, this is a static buzz, not a pulsing. I suspect your 1/8" jack is your problem.
                          > > >
                          > > > As for a USB card, they are the way to go. It all depends on your budget, but there are some fine budget models out there. I posted an article on what to look for in a USB audio interface here (http://www.podgeek.com/2011/04/what-to-look-for-in-a-audio-in-out-box/). I think you will be much happier with something like that.

                        • Patrick McNa...
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 5, 2012
                            Go to your computer's volume settings, find the "line input" setting and mute it. This is a common source of buzzing.

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Waidux" <b.waidux@...> wrote:

                            > Hey guys, first off, I'm sorry if I screwed up posting this, this is my first time using yahoo groups.
                            > I'm sort of new at podcasting and what not, this stuff is really interesting, but I ran into some problems before I could even do anything fun. When I record audio, the background picks up a very strange buzz (static noise, sounds like I'm next to a waterfall or something). I've uploaded a silent sample (no talking, just silence). Any idea on what that is? And perhaps how to fix it?
                            > Off-topic question - English isn't my main language, so I have a slight accent, and I feel very strange listening to my own voice, any tips on how to deal with that?

                          • Maggie Bonham
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2012
                              Hey folks!

                              I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
                              Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!

                              --
                              ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------

                              It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams

                              Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net

                              Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion available through Wolfsinger Publications.

                              Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com
                            • Michael Sitarzewski
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6, 2012
                                Have you looked at this as a start?

                                http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 6, 2012
                                  I think that the best you can do is LightWorks http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

                                  This is a very powerful program which was used to make many famous Hollywood films that you would be familiar with.A couple of years ago the company was bought and the new owners decided to go open source with the product and create a community of users. The program is free and does work with Windows.

                                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey folks!
                                  >
                                  > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
                                  > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
                                  >
                                  > It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams
                                  >
                                  > Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
                                  >
                                  > Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion available through Wolfsinger Publications.
                                  >
                                  > Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

                                • Calvin Powers
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 9, 2012
                                    The one I'm keeping an eye on is Lightworks <http://www.lightworksbeta.com/>.
                                    It's got kind of a wonky user interface. Be sure to check out the video
                                    tutorials for it on you tube. Also check out the forum and support tabs on
                                    the home page for pointers to documentation etc.

                                    Calvin.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 9, 2012
                                      I have some inside info on a cloud based video editor that's about to hit the market.

                                      It's going to make downloaded software seem silly (think real-time collaboration, shared originals, etc.). I've seen it evolve over the last three months.

                                      Check out http://vidmaker.com/

                                      They're pals of mine in the TechStars Cloud program!

                                      --
                                      Michael Sitarzewski
                                      CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.

                                      Real-time engagement analytics for media creators and distributors.

                                      On Apr 9, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:

                                      > The one I'm keeping an eye on is Lightworks <http://www.lightworksbeta.com/>.
                                      > It's got kind of a wonky user interface. Be sure to check out the video
                                      > tutorials for it on you tube. Also check out the forum and support tabs on
                                      > the home page for pointers to documentation etc.
                                      >
                                      > Calvin.
                                      >
                                      > On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Hey folks!
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
                                      > > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
                                      > >
                                      > > --
                                      > > ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
                                      > >
                                      > > It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
                                      > > potatoes -- Douglas Adams
                                      > >
                                      > > Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
                                      > >
                                      > > Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press
                                      > > and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion
                                      > > available through Wolfsinger Publications.
                                      > >
                                      > > Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

                                    • Todd Cochrane
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 10, 2012
                                        Michael

                                        Challenges with Cloud Editing

                                        -Source Video is big my average 1080p master recording if 8-10 GB.
                                        -Time to upload Source time consuming
                                        -Cost to process multiple output formats expensive

                                        With a Mac Pro it takes me 1 hour to produce 3 master videos.
                                        1280/720 1.8gb
                                        640/360 800mb
                                        320/240 375mb
                                        Total Upload time of 3 mater videos 60 minutes. Total end to end editing
                                        time just over 2 hours. With Cloud computing I would still be uploading
                                        the master file that would be used to edit it..

                                        Cloud editing in my opinion will not replace desktop editing anytime
                                        soon for those with video projects that are more than 10 minutes long.

                                        Todd.

                                        On 4/9/2012 4:37 PM, Michael Sitarzewski wrote:
                                        > I have some inside info on a cloud based video editor that's about to hit the market.
                                        >
                                        > It's going to make downloaded software seem silly (think real-time collaboration, shared originals, etc.). I've seen it evolve over the last three months.
                                        >
                                        > Check out http://vidmaker.com/
                                        >
                                        > They're pals of mine in the TechStars Cloud program!
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Michael Sitarzewski
                                        > CEO, Callisto.fm, Inc.
                                        > http://callisto.fm
                                        >

                                        > Real-time engagement analytics for media creators and distributors.
                                        >

                                        > On Apr 9, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Calvin Powers<calvin@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> The one I'm keeping an eye on is Lightworks<http://www.lightworksbeta.com/>.
                                        >> It's got kind of a wonky user interface. Be sure to check out the video
                                        >> tutorials for it on you tube. Also check out the forum and support tabs on
                                        >> the home page for pointers to documentation etc.
                                        >>
                                        >> Calvin.
                                        >>
                                        >> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Maggie Bonham<skywarrior3@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >>> Hey folks!
                                        >>>
                                        >>> I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
                                        >>> Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!
                                        >>>
                                        >>> --
                                        >>> ------- "Good tea. Nice House." -- Lt. Worf, ST:TNG ------------
                                        >>>
                                        >>> It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
                                        >>> potatoes -- Douglas Adams
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Margaret H. Bonham, author of 30 books, www.shadowhelm.net
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Prophecy of Swords. Runestone of Teiwas, available through Yard Dog Press
                                        >>> and Lachlei available through Dragon Moon Press, and The King's Champion
                                        >>> available through Wolfsinger Publications.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Blog: shadowhelm.livejournal.com

                                        >> --

                                      • Patrick McNa...
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 13, 2012
                                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Maggie Bonham <skywarrior3@...> wrote:

                                          > Hey folks!
                                          >
                                          > I'm looking for free video editing software for vidcasts that works on
                                          > Windows. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!

                                          Giveawayoftheday.com has Wondershare Video Studio Express today (Apr. 13th), although you have to download and activate it before the end of the day.
                                        • Michael Sitarzewski
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 16, 2012
                                            They're hitting that 10 minute sweet spot head on.

                                            As technology improves (as does bandwidth) this will be a great solution for the professional crowd - it's already on their radar.

                                            The trick is in the implementation and the direct relationship between the browser and the service.