Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting research

  • Todd Cochrane
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 24, 2012
      Kris, Donald, Group

      I get asked at least 2-3 times a month to provide input on the new media
      space, academics, journalist, people writing books people fishing for
      info etc.. Up until recently I have given of my time and information
      freely. Sadly what has caused me to become critical, is that I am always
      told by the person doing the research/asking questions that they will
      provide a copy of the research once it is complete. More often than not
      ends up not happening thus may reluctance to share.

      It has to be a two way street, after all I love to share info with the
      11,000 podcasters we work with, anytime we can feed them cool data
      points we try to do so.

      Kris responded saying she is happy to share the findings, and I am happy
      she is doing so, and retract my initial criticism. 9 out of 10 times
      sadly this does not happen.

      My response was obviously taken as me being against academics. But even
      academics are now protesting the pay-per-play journal system, case in
      point Elsiver has come under a lot of heat lately on this topic and over
      8500 academics are now publishing to open journals, and boycotting Elsiver.

      Seeing many of the colleges, universities are getting federal, state
      funding it only make sense that if a tax payer is paying the bill, the
      research papers should be published in the open when it is not of a
      classified nature.

      Todd..

      On 3/23/2012 4:10 PM, markk wrote:

      > I don't think that Todd "flamed" her, and frankly I had the same
      > thoughts when I first followed the link. Perhaps some clarification in
      > her original letter that her link would take you to a page which
      > required payment to see the paper. She supplied the link, Todd didn't
      > Google it. Now you're ripping on a guy who gave podcasters Power
      > Press, one of our most important tools to make posting and tracking
      > our our sites easy.
      > If there was a misunderstanding, fine, I think everyone is cool with
      > that. But if this is just a generic protect the academic thing, then
      > perhaps the academic needs to develop some clarity with her letter and
      > explain some controversial points that will be found when someone
      > follows that link.
      > I did take her latest survey and had planned on writing directly to
      > her for a copy of the final paper when it was done, but this still
      > doesn't change the original impression when I followed the link; which
      > was the same one Todd had. Donald, maybe you should back off and let
      > things be.
      >
      > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Donald" <don@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Todd,
      > >
      > > Perhaps if you read Kris' entire post you would have seen, " If you
      > have any questions, or would like a copy of my forthcoming paper,
      > please feel free to email me at my university address:"
      > >
      > > I have contacted Kris and she is willing to share the paper.
      > >
      > > As others have noted, this is academic research, so you are not
      > giving away a million dollar idea here, just your opinion.
      > >
      > > Whether you participate in the current study or ask Kris for a copy
      > of the paper is voluntary. I see no need to flame her.
      > >
      > > Just my opinion. :-)
      > >
      > > Donald
      > >
      > > www.spreaker.com/show/the_free_coo
      > >

      > > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:podcasters%40yahoogroups.com>, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I would not participate in a survey which results will be locked
      > behind
      > > > a paywall. You research you conducted before is only available on
      > a pay
      > > > basis so why should we continue to feed you info when the material
      > you
      > > > are posting will never see the light of day..
      > > >
      > > > Todd..

      > conducted
      > results
      > Society
      > read an
      > > > >
      > http://nms.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/10/18/1461444811420848.abstract

      > follow up
      > far we
      > cover

      > started

      > have
      > if you

      > that

      > > > --
      > > > Todd Cochrane Geek News Central twitter: @geeknews 808.741.4923

    • Donald
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 2012
        Todd,

        Thanks for your follow-up. If I was to harsh in my reply, I apologize as well.

        Best,

        Donald