Re: Podcasting research

  • Donald
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2012
      Todd,

      Perhaps if you read Kris' entire post you would have seen, " If you have any questions, or would like a copy of my forthcoming paper, please feel free to email me at my university address:"

      I have contacted Kris and she is willing to share the paper.

      As others have noted, this is academic research, so you are not giving away a million dollar idea here, just your opinion.

      Whether you participate in the current study or ask Kris for a copy of the paper is voluntary. I see no need to flame her.

      Just my opinion. :-)

      Donald

      www.spreaker.com/show/the_free_coo

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Todd Cochrane <geeknews@...> wrote:

      > I would not participate in a survey which results will be locked behind
      > a paywall. You research you conducted before is only available on a pay
      > basis so why should we continue to feed you info when the material you
      > are posting will never see the light of day..
      >
      > Todd..
      >

      > On 3/21/2012 9:15 AM, kris3198 wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > > A few years ago I posted to this group about some research I conducted
      > > on independent audio podcasters. I am pleased to announce that results
      > > from this project will be published in the journal New Media & Society
      > > in 2012 (yes, the wheels of academia grind slowly!). You can read an
      > > abstract of the paper here:
      > > http://nms.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/10/18/1461444811420848.abstract
      > >
      > > In addition, I would like to announce that I am conducting a follow up
      > > survey this month, and I would like to ask for your help. Thus far we
      > > have been combing through the iTunes podcast listings and inviting
      > > participants via email. It's possible that some of you on this list
      > > have already received that invitation. However, I would like to cover
      > > as many angles as possible, so I would like to invite others to
      > > participate in the survey.
      > >
      > > To qualify, you must be at least 18 years old, and have created at
      > > least one podcast that was not *originally* affiliated with a
      > > traditional media organization, like a radio station (if you started
      > > independently, and then later got picked up by a station, you would
      > > still qualify).
      > >
      > > The survey is open to video and audio podcasters. It is open to
      > > podcasters in any country, but it is only available in English.
      > >
      > > The survey URL is:
      > > https://www.hostedware.com/secure/hs/takesurvey.asp?c=podcast2012
      > >
      > > If you have any questions, or would like a copy of my forthcoming
      > > paper, please feel free to email me at my university address:
      > > k.markman@... <mailto:k.markman%40memphis.edu>
      > >
      > > I would also love any suggestions as to other message boards,
      > > directories, etc. where I can reach podcasters. You also do not have
      > > to be currently producing a podcast to complete the survey, so if you
      > > know any former podcasters, please feel free to share the URL.
      > >
      > > I personally feel like podcasting is a very exciting phenomenon that
      > > does not get enough attention from the wider academic community, so
      > > one of my goals is to use this research to make podcasting and
      > > podcasters more visible to academia and the world at large.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help!
      > >
      > > Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
      > > Assistant Professor, Department of Communication
      > > University of Memphis
      > > Office:ACB 235; Phone: 901-678-5458
      > > Email: k.markman@... <mailto:k.markman%40memphis.edu>
      > > www.krismarkman.com
      > >

      > --
      > Todd Cochrane Geek News Central twitter: @geeknews 808.741.4923

    • markk
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23, 2012
        I don't think that Todd "flamed" her, and frankly I had the same thoughts when I first followed the link. Perhaps some clarification in her original letter that her link would take you to a page which required payment to see the paper. She supplied the link, Todd didn't Google it. Now you're ripping on a guy who gave podcasters Power Press, one of our most important tools to make posting and tracking our our sites easy.
        If there was a misunderstanding, fine, I think everyone is cool with that. But if this is just a generic protect the academic thing, then perhaps the academic needs to develop some clarity with her letter and explain some controversial points that will be found when someone follows that link.
        I did take her latest survey and had planned on writing directly to her for a copy of the final paper when it was done, but this still doesn't change the original impression when I followed the link; which was the same one Todd had. Donald, maybe you should back off and let things be.

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <don@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > If you have any questions, or would like a copy of my forthcoming
        > > > paper, please feel free to email me at my university address:
        > > > k.markman@ <mailto:k.markman%40memphis.edu>
        > > >
        > > > I would also love any suggestions as to other message boards,
        > > > directories, etc. where I can reach podcasters. You also do not have
        > > > to be currently producing a podcast to complete the survey, so if you
        > > > know any former podcasters, please feel free to share the URL.
        > > >
        > > > I personally feel like podcasting is a very exciting phenomenon that
        > > > does not get enough attention from the wider academic community, so
        > > > one of my goals is to use this research to make podcasting and
        > > > podcasters more visible to academia and the world at large.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for your help!
        > > >
        > > > Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
        > > > Assistant Professor, Department of Communication

      • Kris Markman
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 24, 2012
          Hello all,
          In the interest of sharing, I have posted the slides from a presentation I gave in 2010 that covers data from my original 2008-09 survey. These data were not able to be included in the paper that is being published in New Media & Society. The analysis in this presentation covers the open-ended survey question: How did you decide on the content of your podcast?

          The presentation is available on Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.net/KrisMM/markmanpodcasting2010

          If you would like a copy and do not have a Slideshare account, again, please feel free to email me.
          Sincerely,
          Kris

          -----
          Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
          Assistant Professor, Department of Communication
          University of Memphis
          Office: ACB 235; Phone: 901-678-5458
          k.markman@...
          www.krismarkman.com

        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 24, 2012
            Kris, Donald, Group

            I get asked at least 2-3 times a month to provide input on the new media
            space, academics, journalist, people writing books people fishing for
            info etc.. Up until recently I have given of my time and information
            freely. Sadly what has caused me to become critical, is that I am always
            told by the person doing the research/asking questions that they will
            provide a copy of the research once it is complete. More often than not
            ends up not happening thus may reluctance to share.

            It has to be a two way street, after all I love to share info with the
            11,000 podcasters we work with, anytime we can feed them cool data
            points we try to do so.

            Kris responded saying she is happy to share the findings, and I am happy
            she is doing so, and retract my initial criticism. 9 out of 10 times
            sadly this does not happen.

            My response was obviously taken as me being against academics. But even
            academics are now protesting the pay-per-play journal system, case in
            point Elsiver has come under a lot of heat lately on this topic and over
            8500 academics are now publishing to open journals, and boycotting Elsiver.

            Seeing many of the colleges, universities are getting federal, state
            funding it only make sense that if a tax payer is paying the bill, the
            research papers should be published in the open when it is not of a
            classified nature.

            Todd..

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 25, 2012
              Todd,

              Thanks for your follow-up. If I was to harsh in my reply, I apologize as well.

              Best,

              Donald