Re: [podcasters] Feedback from the Group Sought

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2012
      Brian, I agree with Michael. Go for it. If you were on the air at the
      same time and day as the competing show, that might be a problem. But with
      podcasting, people can easily listen to both shows whenever it is
      convenient for them. I do a weekly podcast of old-time radio shows, and
      though there are a ton of shows posted all over the internet, I get my
      share of listeners who appreciate what I'm doing.

      What's the topic you're considering, by the way?

      And are you in Indy? I grew up on the west side (Ben Davis HS!).

      Best,

      ---Dan

      --
      Best,

      ---Dan
      http://danhughes.net
      http://danhughesbooks.com
      http://treasuremanual.com
      http://slowpitchbook.com
      http://danhughesautographs.com
      http://thetreasurecorner.com
      http://thesoftballcorner.com
      http://radiofun.info

    • BH
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2012
        Thanks for the messages thus far and I am in Indianapolis, Dan. Just south actually in Franklin, although I am not from here originally. I am from southern Illinois, just outside of St. Louis.

        As for the topic I am interested in that has another similar show already, is a podcast about barbecue competitions. I run a professional competition team that competes in KCBS sanctioned contests in the summer. Cooking and competing with barbecue is truly a passion. While I know I have the passion and the expertise, the other show has been around for numerous years and so my fear has been that there will be ill will of some sort or not enough people to listen to both. I figure it's worth a shot though. I'm still nervous about contacting the other guy I suppose just because I wouldn't want him to try to sabotage my show, but I see the points brought up thus far. Thanks again.

        Brian Herbert
        Thin Blue BBQ
        Indy Racing Fancast
        Indy Autographs Podcast

        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughesmail@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > to do a podcast on it, but one already exists. It has been around
        > > consistently for several years. It had poor quality originally as it was on
        > > blogtalk. Now it is away from that, which has increased the audio quality,
        > > but they do a live show on Tuesday nights and I hear and see (cause it is a
        > > video podcast as well) some issues. He frequently drops calls, has laggy
        > > content, etc. These problems go into each episode because it is live and
        > > wouldn't be an issue since i would be pre-recorded. I also don't want to
        > > bash the show. He certainly provides good information and serves a solid
        > > audience and has plenty of sponsors.
        > >
        > > So the big question is, do I start my own podcast or not because one
        > > exists on the topic? I want to offer my passion and expertise, but I don't
        > > want to be viewed as trying to steal listeners from another podcast, etc. I

      • markk
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012
          Just because the other podcaster beat you in terms of having a podcast on this subject really doesn't mean anything. Using the same logic we would only have had one comedy on TV or one action movie.

          Your reason for wanting to do a podcast on this subject is due to your interest also. You don't need to ask permission, apologize, explain or invite the other host on your show.
          I mean, if the other guy was your best friend and you had taken a vow to not have a similar podcast, then I could understand, but otherwise you've a wide open road in front of you. Many programs, product, etc. are based on improving something that is already out there. It's competition. There are no locked in topics or monopolies.

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "BH" <bh@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > to do a podcast on it, but one already exists. It has been around
          > > > consistently for several years. It had poor quality originally as it was on
          > > > blogtalk. Now it is away from that, which has increased the audio quality,
          > > > but they do a live show on Tuesday nights and I hear and see (cause it is a
          > > > video podcast as well) some issues. He frequently drops calls, has laggy
          > > > content, etc. These problems go into each episode because it is live and
          > > > wouldn't be an issue since i would be pre-recorded. I also don't want to
          > > > bash the show. He certainly provides good information and serves a solid
          > > > audience and has plenty of sponsors.
          > > >
          > > > So the big question is, do I start my own podcast or not because one
          > > > exists on the topic? I want to offer my passion and expertise, but I don't
          > > > want to be viewed as trying to steal listeners from another podcast, etc. I

        • Patrick McNa...
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2012
            There's rarely any problem with two or more people doing the same subject. Just look at anime or video game podcasts. There's thousands of them. In fact it's probably best to give the listeners some variety. Consider that there's 24 hours in a single day, so that even if someone listens to every episode of the other show they're still going to have plenty of time to listen to your show. And what is the producer of the other show going to listen to?

            There's rarely a problem with doing a podcast on a lesser known subject. In fact it's good that you have a topic to talk about. There's tons of podcasts about people talking about just whatever's on their mind and very few of them are worth listening to.