Re: Podcasting research

  • BH
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
      Wow! I think it is unfortunate that several of you have mistaken the point. Kris, is a college professor and collects the data for academic purposes and the article is printed in a professional journal. She doesn't command the price for the article, the publisher does. The data is also not meant for us perhaps. It is like any other survey someone asks you to complete. You don't get paid to complete it. You do it to contribute your information to the research.

      I believe in podcasting and I want to do anything possible to show people that it is a viable alternative to traditional media sources and that it is growing and vibrant. After her post today, I gladly submitted my information to her survey. It took less than 5 minutes and if it helps bring attention to podcasting I am all for it.

      You aren't giving a college professor some priceless data she is going to sell for millions of dollars by participating in the survey. You are aiding academic research. It's not a conspiracy. But if there is a conspiracy podcast out there that wants to do an upcoming episode on it, I am glad to debate it. :)

      Just my humble thoughts.

      Brian Herbert
      Indy Autographs Podcast
      Indy Racing Fancast

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Ken Kennedy Lloyd <kkliveradio@...> wrote:

      > I second that!!!
      >

      > Ken aka DK
      > voice over for commercial and book publications (providing voice over for commercials, and audio books)
      > http://www.doublekradio.com
      > Twitter  watercoolerDK
      > https://www.facebook.com/doublekradio
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Michael Sitarzewski
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
        Nicely said Brian.

        I just had a great call with Kris. Her intent is solid, and I encourage all of you to participate.

        She should be updating here soon with more details.

      • kris3198
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
          Todd (and everyone else),
          Yes, the linked article is behind a paywall, but I am more than happy to email a preprint copy to anyone who is interested. I know that the way that academic publishing works is very frustrating, but I believe very strongly in public knowledge sharing.

          I also want to reiterate that I plan to make the results of the current study available to this group and anyone else who is interested once I have finished data collection, as I did with the previous study. When I posted my results here the last time, I received quite a lot of very useful feedback, and that feedback helped me to shape the current study. I absolutely will give back to the community by sharing my results.

          I apologize if my previous message made anyone feel like I was asking them to pay for information, that was not my intention at all. I linked to the abstract so people could get a sense of what the article was like. But please feel free to email me if you would like a copy.

          Thank you all for your help!
          -Kris

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2012
            Todd: have you ever done demographic surveys for your advertising network? If so, where can we view the results?

            Academia operates on completely screwed-up economic models. It's not the fault of individual academics. Heck, they're rarely even paid for journal publication; their reward for their work is (maybe) getting to stay employed.

            Have Fun,
            Steve Eley

          • Donald
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2012
              Todd,

              Perhaps if you read Kris' entire post you would have seen, " If you have any questions, or would like a copy of my forthcoming paper, please feel free to email me at my university address:"

              I have contacted Kris and she is willing to share the paper.

              As others have noted, this is academic research, so you are not giving away a million dollar idea here, just your opinion.

              Whether you participate in the current study or ask Kris for a copy of the paper is voluntary. I see no need to flame her.

              Just my opinion. :-)

              Donald

              www.spreaker.com/show/the_free_coo

            • markk
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2012
                I don't think that Todd "flamed" her, and frankly I had the same thoughts when I first followed the link. Perhaps some clarification in her original letter that her link would take you to a page which required payment to see the paper. She supplied the link, Todd didn't Google it. Now you're ripping on a guy who gave podcasters Power Press, one of our most important tools to make posting and tracking our our sites easy.
                If there was a misunderstanding, fine, I think everyone is cool with that. But if this is just a generic protect the academic thing, then perhaps the academic needs to develop some clarity with her letter and explain some controversial points that will be found when someone follows that link.
                I did take her latest survey and had planned on writing directly to her for a copy of the final paper when it was done, but this still doesn't change the original impression when I followed the link; which was the same one Todd had. Donald, maybe you should back off and let things be.

                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <don@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > If you have any questions, or would like a copy of my forthcoming
                > > > paper, please feel free to email me at my university address:
                > > > k.markman@ <mailto:k.markman%40memphis.edu>
                > > >
                > > > I would also love any suggestions as to other message boards,
                > > > directories, etc. where I can reach podcasters. You also do not have
                > > > to be currently producing a podcast to complete the survey, so if you
                > > > know any former podcasters, please feel free to share the URL.
                > > >
                > > > I personally feel like podcasting is a very exciting phenomenon that
                > > > does not get enough attention from the wider academic community, so
                > > > one of my goals is to use this research to make podcasting and
                > > > podcasters more visible to academia and the world at large.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for your help!
                > > >
                > > > Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
                > > > Assistant Professor, Department of Communication

              • Kris Markman
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 24, 2012
                  Hello all,
                  In the interest of sharing, I have posted the slides from a presentation I gave in 2010 that covers data from my original 2008-09 survey. These data were not able to be included in the paper that is being published in New Media & Society. The analysis in this presentation covers the open-ended survey question: How did you decide on the content of your podcast?

                  The presentation is available on Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.net/KrisMM/markmanpodcasting2010

                  If you would like a copy and do not have a Slideshare account, again, please feel free to email me.
                  Sincerely,
                  Kris

                  -----
                  Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
                  Assistant Professor, Department of Communication
                  University of Memphis
                  Office: ACB 235; Phone: 901-678-5458
                  k.markman@...
                  www.krismarkman.com

                • Todd Cochrane
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 24, 2012
                    Kris, Donald, Group

                    I get asked at least 2-3 times a month to provide input on the new media
                    space, academics, journalist, people writing books people fishing for
                    info etc.. Up until recently I have given of my time and information
                    freely. Sadly what has caused me to become critical, is that I am always
                    told by the person doing the research/asking questions that they will
                    provide a copy of the research once it is complete. More often than not
                    ends up not happening thus may reluctance to share.

                    It has to be a two way street, after all I love to share info with the
                    11,000 podcasters we work with, anytime we can feed them cool data
                    points we try to do so.

                    Kris responded saying she is happy to share the findings, and I am happy
                    she is doing so, and retract my initial criticism. 9 out of 10 times
                    sadly this does not happen.

                    My response was obviously taken as me being against academics. But even
                    academics are now protesting the pay-per-play journal system, case in
                    point Elsiver has come under a lot of heat lately on this topic and over
                    8500 academics are now publishing to open journals, and boycotting Elsiver.

                    Seeing many of the colleges, universities are getting federal, state
                    funding it only make sense that if a tax payer is paying the bill, the
                    research papers should be published in the open when it is not of a
                    classified nature.

                    Todd..

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 25, 2012
                      Todd,

                      Thanks for your follow-up. If I was to harsh in my reply, I apologize as well.

                      Best,

                      Donald